Oil Life == 52% - Change? Add? Normal?

Mjaestewart

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
RAM TRX Billet Silver
Hello TRX Owners!

I’ve searched the TRX Forum and couldn’t find any specific thread mainly because words like “oil” and “life” are too common.

Here is my dilemma. My TRX seemed to have consumed 45% oil in 1K miles. Was I hammering on the throttle a bit? I would say yes because I was having a bit of fun. Is this normal? Should I change the oil? Or should I just add more oil? I’m not sure what to do in this scenario.

Anyone else been in this kind of predicament? Doesn’t seem normal to me. But then again, this is not a normal truck either.

Thanks!

NoHo Hank

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Current Ride
2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
You are conflating oil consumption and oil life. The oil life meter is an indicator of when you should change your oil based on driving habits and environment.

I check my oil level once a month or so and add as needed. Nearly 1k miles in and no noticeable consumption yet.

TReX-RAM

TRX Addict 💉
Reaction score
Current Ride
TReX
My truck goes thru some oil. Before the 3rd oil change and on 30% of oil life I was a quart and half down. That is a huge deficit. I now check it bi-weekly. I drive it hard and get about 8 mpg or 80 spg, so I am sure others are out there that check/change their oil more frequently.

OP
Mjaestewart

Mjaestewart

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
RAM TRX Billet Silver
@NoHo Hank Ok, so the image I took earlier (attached) today shows oil% on the digital left side strip.

Just so I’m understanding correctly, this does not mean oil consumption but instead the percentage left on oil life before needing an oil change based on driving habit?

Attachments

• 0FC95CB9-2BCB-4D79-8CE1-DA7F9EE31087.jpeg
    0FC95CB9-2BCB-4D79-8CE1-DA7F9EE31087.jpeg
    208.3 KB · Views: 50

Bubba

TRX Fiend
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 TRX
Military
Submariner
@NoHo Hank Ok, so the image I took earlier (attached) today shows oil% on the digital left side strip.

Just so I’m understanding correctly, this does not mean oil consumption but instead the percentage left on oil life before needing an oil change based on driving habit?
Correct. You can only see oil consumed if you pull the dipstick. Or drain your oil and measure it.

OP
Mjaestewart

Mjaestewart

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
RAM TRX Billet Silver
Correct. Not consumption, but a computer calculation of the oil’s remaining protection or “life” before it needs changed.

Check the oil level, if it’s fine you don’t have to do anything. If it’s low, add.
Thank you! This helps a lot!!

OP
Mjaestewart

Mjaestewart

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
RAM TRX Billet Silver
Now you know there’s always a follow-up question, right?

At what percentage is it recommended to change the oil?

Fifty

TRX Fiend
Reaction score
Military
USMC/Leo/Zookeeper
Now you know there’s always a follow-up question, right?

At what percentage is it recommended to change the oil?
It depends. Break in oil has a lot of really nice stuff in it. It’s expensive. Go to 95-100%
Unless… you have a lot of cold starts and short trips… or you have been driving in a lot of dirt…

so a few hard 0-60 sprints isn’t going to do too much in accelerating oil life past the computer algorithm… but a weekend in Barstow during the summer or a trip across Mojave road would warrant an early oil change.
Again, lots of cold starts and short jaunts when the engine is still cold.

Otherwise just check the level for now. Top off it needed. Then change in another 20% with a good oil and filter.

or if you let your vehicle sit like i do. Every 6 months. Get the water and dust a muck a ethanol drops out.

OnTheReel

TRX Junkie
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 TRX
Ideally change before the monitor hits zero %. Also never exceed 6 months or 6000 miles on an oil change. If you’re beating on it and/or do a lot of idle time I would say 3-4k is a better interval, but it’s your call.

I have not seen anything about Chrysler using a special break-in oil for the factory fill. Honda is the only company I am aware of that does. Or at least did. And because of this they would specifically advise you NOT to do an early oil change.

For these trucks it doesn’t hurt to do it early, and in my view it could only help. I went to 584 miles and changed. Not a fan of the cheap ass Dodge Journey oil filter they put on it from factory. Torqued to 300 ft. lbs too. But I digress.

OP
Mjaestewart

Mjaestewart

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
RAM TRX Billet Silver
It depends. Break in oil has a lot of really nice stuff in it. It’s expensive. Go to 95-100%
Unless… you have a lot of cold starts and short trips… or you have been driving in a lot of dirt…

so a few hard 0-60 sprints isn’t going to do too much in accelerating oil life past the computer algorithm… but a weekend in Barstow during the summer or a trip across Mojave road would warrant an early oil change.
Again, lots of cold starts and short jaunts when the engine is still cold.

Otherwise just check the level for now. Top off it needed. Then change in another 20% with a good oil and filter.

or if you let your vehicle sit like i do. Every 6 months. Get the water and dust a muck a ethanol drops out.
Thank you for this!! I just want to take care of this beastly dinosaur the best I can. This was some really great advice.

I’ll check the oil level manually and top off if necessary. Otherwise, change at 30% unless doing a lot of cold starts, dirt riding, or some rampaging Baja!

RobR651

TRX Addict
Reaction score
Current Ride
2015 Ram 1500
There’s threads all over the hellcat forum regarding oil changes. There’s nothing about break in oil that I’ve seen. From everything I’ve read there’s PUP 0W40 as the factory fill. Nothing in the owners manual mentions break in oil or warnings about early oil changes. Most important thing to pay attention to for the first few thousand miles is your level at your dipstick… that is in the owners manual.

Fifty

TRX Fiend
Reaction score
Military
USMC/Leo/Zookeeper
So there will be assembly lube on the cams, rockers, bearing packs etc.

Not necessarily 8 qts of special oil. But probably 1/2-3/4 qt total of assembly lube and break in oil on the parts.
that starts on the high friction areas of course but then stays in the whole system and flows around the engine.

Fifty

TRX Fiend
Reaction score
Military
USMC/Leo/Zookeeper
Here is a im not sure what motor. But I took screen shots of them.
I was looking for the gm 6.2 v8 where they slather… and I mean it’s embarrassing, a red lube on the cam and then the rockers.

Attachments

• 35F68E67-F275-49D2-B74C-5B3A78C7824E.png
    35F68E67-F275-49D2-B74C-5B3A78C7824E.png
    1 MB · Views: 32
  • D0EE54B7-2C84-41D0-A188-6B66F6BE0FEE.png
    D0EE54B7-2C84-41D0-A188-6B66F6BE0FEE.png
    1,000 KB · Views: 31
  • 0B01BB41-0558-43D2-A077-38D81487C674.png
    0B01BB41-0558-43D2-A077-38D81487C674.png
  • A2E76D9E-F37A-4A22-82A1-D9E71A3F2C4C.png
    A2E76D9E-F37A-4A22-82A1-D9E71A3F2C4C.png

OnTheReel

TRX Junkie
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 TRX
I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s just motor oil. It’s not like these are running a flat tappet cam that they need to soak in moly and do an elaborate break in to keep it from eating itself.

But no matter what they use in assembly, no engine builder would tell you to leave the break in oil for 6000 miles. Or to go 6000 miles on an oil change in general. That’s the EPA talkin…

Fifty

TRX Fiend
Reaction score
Military
USMC/Leo/Zookeeper
I don’t think the algorithm has the first oil change go that long? I’m trying to remember what my charger said. If it was 1000 or 1500 when it hit 10%
it’s been a minute.

Fifty

TRX Fiend
Reaction score
Military
USMC/Leo/Zookeeper
Oh and the epa hates high zinc and phosphorus break in type oils.
But probably a grand

RobR651

TRX Addict
Reaction score
Current Ride
2015 Ram 1500
There was a thread with video of them assembling them in the Saltillo Mexico plant on the Hellcat.org site. There is not a bunch of assembly lube all over the place. I can’t find it…. But folks have also sent their oil to blackstone labs on the first change with a few hundred miles and there’s not high levels of assembly lube in the samples from the first change. They also run these engines on a dyno for 42 minutes at 5000 rpm at the engine plant before they get shipped to SHAP. You can change your oil early and you’re just fine. I dumped mine at 1500 miles before the idiot light oil algorithm told me to. 6000 miles is not the required miles for a change it’s the maximum between a change.

Fifty

TRX Fiend
Reaction score
Military
USMC/Leo/Zookeeper
Ok sure. No assembly lube on any bearing surface. Awesome. Keep on keeping on.

smh… I find you pics of engine assemblies with break in oil being applied to bearing surfaces and hi friction areas… but ok.

RAM TRX Forum Supporting Member Badge

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Sam Leman Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram Morton