Oil Consumption

SpamSpamSpam

TRX Fiend
Reaction score
So the manual states to check the oil at each fill up. I thought this was very precautionary but read in some other threads where you Hellcat owners experienced this with your Chargers and Challengers.

My question is, for those who have received their truck, have you experienced any consumption of oil and if so, how much?

HeliPilot

TRX Junkie
Reaction score
Military
USAF
My Redeye consumes oil. About a quart between changes. I would definitely check periodically.
My old Porsche Carrera would do the same. It even came with an additional quart from the dealer in a specialized pouch.

OP
SpamSpamSpam

SpamSpamSpam

TRX Fiend
Reaction score
My Redeye consumes oil. About a quart between changes. I would definitely check periodically.
My old Porsche Carrera would do the same. It even came with an additional quart from the dealer in a specialized pouch.
Interesting.... I’m 48yo, been buying new cars since 1990. I’ve never had a vehicle that has burned oil. The hard part for me will be getting used to checking.

Hellasaurus

TRX Junkie
Reaction score
Military
Army
Interesting.... I’m 48yo, been buying new cars since 1990. I’ve never had a vehicle that has burned oil. The hard part for me will be getting used to checking.
Like you I have owned many vehicles and finally came across my first oil burner. I am guessing a broken ring since it does not have enough miles on it to burn oils at the rate it’s burning. I think it’s park luck of the draw and partly related to the break in of the engine.

THR evo8

TRX Fanatic
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2012 Lexus IS 350awd
Current Ride #2
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 8 MR
I can drive my Evo 200 miles each way to track days, road race it all weekend, drive it back and it doesn't use a drop of oil. My buddy with a newer audi has to add a quart every 1500 miles. 🤷‍♂️

OP
SpamSpamSpam

SpamSpamSpam

TRX Fiend
Reaction score
Get an oil catch can to keep the oil from blocking back into the intake. That is where some of it goes. Will help keep things a little cleaner.
I image there’s plenty of options available considering the engine isn’t new.

STRADALE

TRX Junkie
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
TRX - Ferrari F430 - PORSCHE 997 turbo -
Current Ride #2
Harley CVO Street Glide - Harley CVO Electra Glide - Harley Nostalgia - Kawasaki Ninja H2
I’ve had to add some oil to a few new sports cars, high performance SUV’s during the first 1000-2000 miles or so. After they were broken in oil consumption stopped, slowed or was insignificant.

What manufacture & viscosity does the Factory fill in these motors?

Caliche

Staff member
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 TRX
Current Ride #2
2018 Polaris 1000 Ranger SxS
I’ve had to add some oil to a few new sports cars, high performance SUV’s during the first 1000-2000 miles or so. After they were broken in oil consumption stopped, slowed or was insignificant.

What manufacture & viscosity does the Factory fill in these motors?
1614455849043.jpeg

thewrx

TRX Fiend
Reaction score
Name
D
Current Ride
TRX, SS(Holden), S13(vert), Sierra (boosted)
Yep boosted cars will consume oil because of the pressure in crankcase, and also not having catch cans because of epa.

Jackson

HellRex Curator
Founding Member
TRX of the Month
Reaction score
Current Ride
Bonanza A36
Current Ride #2
Ballistic 223
My Helicopter uses a quart every single time I fly it. So Im in the habit of checking oil as if my life depends on it...cause it does.

The old Bonanza drinks a quart every couple of engine hours so I check it every time I fly. I guess I'll need think of the truck along those lines until it proves otherwise. But no..... never had a vehicle that burned a lot except the old high school Trans-Am and it was a mosquito killer.

J

HeliPilot

TRX Junkie
Reaction score
Military
USAF
The old Bonanza drinks a quart every couple of engine hours so I check it every time I fly. I guess I'll need think of the truck along those lines until it proves otherwise. But no..... never had a vehicle that burned a lot except the old high school Trans-Am and it was a mosquito killer.

J
Shouldn’t drink the oil, but it may burn more than you’re used to. If it’s like the Heli, I’ll sell it!!!

Bambi

The Stripper Hunter
TRX of the Month
Reaction score
Current Ride
Ram TRX
Current Ride #2
Range Rover Sport supercharged, F-150 FX4, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Every boosted high performance car I have owned burned some amount of oil. I just kept an eye on it

Elrodd

TRX Fanatic
Reaction score
Current Ride
TRX
Military
Ex-Army
2700 miles on mine, did the first oil change at 1000 ish , never showed any signs of burning through oil, stays at the full mark so far. I check it just to be safe though pretty regular.

CSM175

TRX Fanatic
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2017 Ram Rebel Mojave Sand Edition (SOLD)
Current Ride #2
2016 Dodge Charger R/T
Military
US Army - retired
2300 miles and burned about a half quart overall...entire truck has been problem free so far, very pleased!!

STRADALE

TRX Junkie
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
TRX - Ferrari F430 - PORSCHE 997 turbo -
Current Ride #2
Harley CVO Street Glide - Harley CVO Electra Glide - Harley Nostalgia - Kawasaki Ninja H2
This is what was in my catch can from a 500 mile trip, plus whatever was in the catch can hose.. Mixture of water & oil. The oil on the dipstick looked super clear in comparison. But that has to be where some oil consumption comes from.

D5271BD3-B82B-486F-87B4-B85543431FFB.jpeg

Last edited:
RAM TRX Forum Supporting Member Badge

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com