Octane booster vs premium fuel

FarmerFox

TRX Member
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
Ram Rebel
I am a farmer and have a half dozen trucks on the farm. I'm in the middle of nowhere, and have a 500 gallon gasoline tank. I'm not keen to switch to premium for ALL the vehicles on the farm, or to have another fuel tank (I also have two 2,000 gallon diesel tanks).

So, the question is... Is there a good reason not to just use the regular, 87octane fuel I already get and add the appropriate amount of octane booster to bring it up over 91 (as required, according to RAM)?

I'm looking for the simplest solution, not necessarily the cheapest... I get fuel in town for my other toys, but for the daily driver TRX, 20 miles each way is a waste of time I just don't have...

Thanks.

most octane boosters don’t really work. I’ve had success with Torco, but it gets expensive if running in a DD car.

I am a farmer and have a half dozen trucks on the farm. I'm in the middle of nowhere, and have a 500 gallon gasoline tank. I'm not keen to switch to premium for ALL the vehicles on the farm, or to have another fuel tank (I also have two 2,000 gallon diesel tanks).

So, the question is... Is there a good reason not to just use the regular, 87octane fuel I already get and add the appropriate amount of octane booster to bring it up over 91 (as required, according to RAM)?

I'm looking for the simplest solution, not necessarily the cheapest... I get fuel in town for my other toys, but for the daily driver TRX, 20 miles each way is a waste of time I just don't have...

Thanks.
I read somewhere that there is the potential that the octane booster can damage the engine.... sorry can’t remember where. Cheers

You're in a pickle. I see another tank in your future :cool:

Yeah that’s what I am going to do. It costs a little bit more but the convenience is worth it.

Last edited:
Growing up we had a gravity tank for Gas and 2 for diesel on the other side of the yard. Dad noticed tracks indicating that someone was stealing Gas, so without telling anyone outside of our family he switched it to diesel the next time it was filled. He assumes that he found the thief about 1 week later as a car that should not have been in the neighborhood abandon on the side of the road 1/2 mile from the newly minted diesel tank. The thief and my dad never talked about it, but they both knew the other understood the full story.

Growing up we had a gravity tank for Gas and 2 for diesel on the other side of the yard. Dad noticed tracks indicating that someone was stealing Gas, so without telling anyone outside of our family he switched it to diesel the next time it was filled. He assumes that he found the thief about 1 week later as a car that should not have been in the neighborhood abandon on the side of the road 1/2 mile from the newly minted diesel tank. The thief and my dad never talked about it, but they both knew the other understood the full story.
Similar issues here (my family has been on our home farm for 122 years now). All of our tanks are not only covered by cameras now, but also key-codes or no power to the pumps. Been a long time since the last of our gravity tanks went away. Lol.

I LOVE this story! Let them burn themselves and then just smile at them every time you see them!

Woulda been better switching diesel to gas as woulda blown the motor

that or water

Honestly il probably run 87 in mine when i get it. Iv had several vehicles calling for higher octane gas and always used 87 and never had a problem
Srsly? 80-100k truck and you are gonna use regular? That is insane to me. At best it will put out less power. At worst you will get knock all over

People put 87 octane in their C6 Z06 's instead of 93 octane to save money..From what I remember they said it took like 5 full tanks of premuim for computer to return to normal horsepower and they had knocks and bad timing ,,,
Your truck ,but I think bad idea

Honestly il probably run 87 in mine when i get it. Iv had several vehicles calling for higher octane gas and always used 87 and never had a problem
LOL! Thats awesome let us know how that turns out! Besides knocking the hell out of the engine and causing damage, your mileage will also go down and will be a wash. Those dumb engineers, they have no clue, yeah put 87 in!! Just let us know if you ever trade the truck so we can all avoid. 87! Ya just can't make it up!

LOL! Thats awesome let us know how that turns out! Besides knocking the hell out of the engine and causing damage, your mileage will also go down and will be a wash. Those dumb engineers, they have no clue, yeah put 87 in!! Just let us know if you ever trade the truck so we can all avoid. 87! Ya just can't make it up!
What Vin is his? Asking for a friend

I don't understand why you guys think this is such an issue? My challenger also requires 93 octane and i only run 87. No noise no engine problems and not bad fuel mileage.... and before that i had a cayman same thing i ran 87... iv been working on cars for over 10 years and never heard or had a customer complaint about low octane gas actually causing issues

Thanks.
For whatever it’s worth you should not run lower octane fuel. It’s ok to do with lower performance engines but not ok for high performance engines.you could use an octane booster but that has proven to be sketchy because not all octane boosters are the same. Some perform as they should and some don’t. You might be better off getting a small tank just for your TRX.

I don't understand why you guys think this is such an issue? My challenger also requires 93 octane and i only run 87. No noise no engine problems and not bad fuel mileage.... and before that i had a cayman same thing i ran 87... iv been working on cars for over 10 years and never heard or had a customer complaint about low octane gas actually causing issues
Hey its yours, to each their own. Even if you don't understand compression ratios and resistance to knock, have you ever asked yourself what would be the manufacturers motivation to say its required? :unsure: But you did make me laugh again as no challenger requires 93, just 91 or better. Good luck.

Hey its yours, to each their own. Even if you don't understand compression ratios and resistance to knock, have you ever asked yourself what would be the manufacturers motivation to say its required? :unsure: But you did make me laugh again as no challenger requires 93, just 91 or better. Good luck.
I think you, me and maybe a few others actually have high performance vehicles. Seems most people have never had a vehicle that requires the good stuff and don’t understand they will destroy their engines. They will get pissed when the motor pops and ram won’t warranty it because they used a lesser octane.

Thanks.
Octane boosters only ups the octane in tenths. Example 87 would be 87.1 maybe 87.2. Use the right octane or they won’t warranty the damage that will happen.

I can tell you from experience and training that compression ratios are not related to the fuel grade. But as the challenger goes yes it was actually minimum of 91 that it called for. Trust me if i have issues with my truck from running regular you all will hear about it! 😆

Back