Normal Squeak vs Abnormal Ticking

soulsea

☐ Rekt ☑ Not Rekt
Founding Member
Gallery
Reaction score
It was 66F today and I drove around for a bit to run errands and take some pics, and shot a quick video to show the difference between what the engine sounds like on a cold 40F day start and what it sounds like at temperature on a warm day.

I thought it would be helpful to understand the difference between 'normal' squeaking that seems to be characteristic of the truck and the ticking @Crazyotter has been experiencing. Basically if you're in a cold climate these days and have the same squeak I have on a cold start, it is completely normal and it all but goes away when the truck and weather warm.

Cold:

Warm:

Abnormal ticking from Crazyotter's truck:

Although my cold start and otter's truck sound somewhat similar, his ticking is much louder and apparently never goes away.

Hopefully this helps differentiate the sounds and eases the stress of those who are still in cold weather wondering if their sound is normal or not.

It was 66F today and I drove around for a bit to run errands and take some pics, and shot a quick video to show the difference between what the engine sounds like on a cold 40F day start and what it sounds like at temperature on a warm day.

I thought it would be helpful to understand the difference between 'normal' squeaking that seems to be characteristic of the truck and the ticking @Crazyotter has been experiencing. Basically if you're in a cold climate these days and have the same squeak I have on a cold start, it is completely normal and it all but goes away when the truck and weather warm.

Cold:

Warm:

Although my cold start and otter's truck sound somewhat similar, his ticking is much louder and apparently never goes away.

Hopefully this helps differentiate the sounds and eases the stress of those who are still in cold weather wondering if their sound is normal or not.
Thanks for posting, it’s nice to get a little balance in play.

Cold:

Warm:

Great job capturing the sound in both videos. I would say my truck is pretty much identical to both of your videos and I live in Colorado with fluctuating temperatures as well. I agree this is what normal should sound like.

Also, can’t tell for sure but in your first video it looks like you have the driver side lean like many are showing including the guys from TFL.

May want to measure your rear wheel wells from the ground and see how different they are. I’m hearing that anything from an inch or less difference is considered normal.

Beautiful truck!

Great job capturing the sound in both videos. I would say my truck is pretty much identical to both of your videos and I live in Colorado with fluctuating temperatures as well. I agree this is what normal should sound like.

Also, can’t tell for sure but in your first video it looks like you have the driver side lean like many are showing including the guys from TFL.

May want to measure your rear wheel wells from the ground and see how different they are. I’m hearing that anything from an inch or less difference is considered normal.

Beautiful truck!

Thanks.

So both of the above videos are not on level ground, my driveway slopes in two different directions and that dirt lot had potholes/depressions on it.

Normally if my truck was noticeably uneven my ocd would have me ...

1614108076036.png

... but my eye hasn't picked up on anything like that. But of course now you have me worried so I'll get something to gage all the roads in my surrounding are to find the loveliest one to measure my truck.

To the theodolite store! :(

Thanks.

So both of the above videos are not on level ground, my driveway slopes in two different directions and that dirt lot had potholes/depressions on it.

Normally if my truck was noticeably uneven my ocd would have me ...

View attachment 5733

... but my eye hasn't picked up on anything like that. But of course now you have me worried so I'll get something to gage all the roads in my surrounding are to find the loveliest one to measure my truck.

To the theodolite store! :(
Sorry for potentially engaging your OCD, I certainly struggle with it as well.

I’ve been measuring my two rear fenders over the past several days and consistently get about 3/4 of an inch difference with the passenger side being slightly higher. Usually I don’t think the difference in my rear fenders are noticeable by the naked eye when sitting on level ground. However, extreme OCD can really mess with your head.

Will be interested to see what you get for measurements and hopefully it will calm my own OCD levels down... LOL

Sorry for potentially engaging your OCD, I certainly struggle with it as well.

I’ve been measuring my two rear fenders over the past several days and consistently get about 3/4 of an inch difference with the passenger side being slightly higher. Usually I don’t think the difference in my rear fenders are noticeable by the naked eye when sitting on level ground. However, extreme OCD can really mess with your head.

Will be interested to see what you get for measurements and hopefully it will calm my own OCD levels down... LOL
Guess someone needs to come up with the counter weight mod to even it out? Just like the battery tray mod and front reservoir mounts since they are made of plastic

Everyone is measuring 3/4” differences in wheel well gap. When I get my truck it’s just going to be;

BRAAAAAAAP WHINE BRAAAAAPPP

I can hear no ticking over the sound of being awesome

Guess someone needs to come up with the counter weight mod to even it out? Just like the battery tray mod and front reservoir mounts since they are made of plastic
Well I just hope you don’t jump your truck 50 ft in air with a bad take off ramp.... not that those things could be an issue if you are hammering the hell out of the truck. But like I said before that guy was using the most extreme example to use as a reference. Cheers

Well I just hope you don’t jump your truck 50 ft in air with a bad take off ramp.... not that those things could be an issue if you are hammering the hell out of the truck. But like I said before that guy was using the most extreme example to use as a reference. Cheers
The battery box one is crazy though. Heavy battery, plastic tray, and running around doing jumps and desert maneuvers doesn't sound great. Just like with the Challenger diff brace, stuff starts to brake, it might give way to someone making an improvement.

Cold:

Warm:

That’s how mine sounds. It’s normal.

What’s up guys just got my trx a couple weeks ago and am noticing the tick have 1000 miles does this sound normal ?

Attachments

• IMG_1368.MOV
    20.9 MB
What’s up guys just got my trx a couple weeks ago and am noticing the tick have 1000 miles does this sound normal ?
That was the sound in park it gets louder when idling in drive

Cold:

Warm:

I have the exact same sound. When I wait about 30-45 seconds, the sound basically goes away. It's almost as if it just needs to warm up some. Sounds like it's coming from my catalytic convertor. I am not going to mess with it until I need to bring it in and then I will ask about it. I've been reading it's normal for these trucks.

@Demstone type in squeak or chirp on the search function. There’s some light reading for a few hours.

Back