New steering wheel

No I was suggesting that YOU send them YOUR OEM wheel, deal with the clicking while they make you a good one.

You said they are using non TRX Ram wheels as a base…

Yea, at this point I neither have the trust to do that nor the tolerance to just deal with it for months and months. It also will damage the clock spring before long and that’s another $300 each.

Yea, at this point I neither have the trust to do that nor the tolerance to just deal with it for months and months. It also will damage the clock spring before long and that’s another $300 each.
Noted… thanks for the heads up on all of this.

Noted… thanks for the heads up on all of this.
Absolutely. Frankly, I suspect that to make money after all the hand labor it takes for them to make these, that they are using steering wheels from scrap yard trucks as their starting point. Once they are stripped you would never know the skeleton was used.

Just wonder why wouldn't an American company ever take this on. High demand for sure. I was at a point considering them but read about months waiting and fit issues meh why bother.

Think also how would these wheels do in the event of impact. Last thing you want is them falling apart in your hand when you need to hang on.

Sadly, I suspect this was the same issue Impressive Carbon had. They tried a wheel for me (they were about $200 cheaper than the other alternatives). When they got the cores in, they said they wouldn't fit a TRX and refunded my money.

I don't trust these sites that show the same wheels for the 1500 and TRX. I agree with those of you that said it would be better to send a known TRX core in for the treatment.

Just an update on my Zen wheel struggle. I was able to borrow a set of taper gauges and confirm the taper on the wheel vs the taper on the steering shaft. Using the gauge I was able to grind and polish the zen wheel to the correct taper (or at least close enough). The wheel now seats correctly BUT the minute I drove it the first time I knew immediately that the spline pattern on the wheel didn’t match the OEM TRX wheel. As a result, the wheel is off center when driving straight and it’s enough that I’m not happy. Yet another issue. These wheels and the steering shaft have three flats in them and that ensures it can only slide on in one position. No ability to pull it off, rotate it the right direction a bit and re-install to center it. The only option is to have them try to adjust it during a full alignment and see if there is room to do it and stay in spec.

Stay tuned. If that doesn’t work I have done all I can to make it work and to help THEM try to get a sellable quality product.

Just an update on my Zen wheel struggle. I was able to borrow a set of taper gauges and confirm the taper on the wheel vs the taper on the steering shaft. Using the gauge I was able to grind and polish the zen wheel to the correct taper (or at least close enough). The wheel now seats correctly BUT the minute I drove it the first time I knew immediately that the spline pattern on the wheel didn’t match the OEM TRX wheel. As a result, the wheel is off center when driving straight and it’s enough that I’m not happy. Yet another issue. These wheels and the steering shaft have three flats in them and that ensures it can only slide on in one position. No ability to pull it off, rotate it the right direction a bit and re-install to center it. The only option is to have them try to adjust it during a full alignment and see if there is room to do it and stay in spec.

Stay tuned. If that doesn’t work I have done all I can to make it work and to help THEM try to get a sellable quality product.
Sounds to me from all the back and forth here that this is 100% a function of the core… that beyond the issue with the wheel sitting correctly, it’s a relatively high quality product…

May be worth it, for a few of us, to collectively purchase an OEM core, and then as each is made, trade out our old core to each other until all have had our wheels made… thoughts?

Sounds to me from all the back and forth here that this is 100% a function of the core… that beyond the issue with the wheel sitting correctly, it’s a relatively high quality product…

May be worth it, for a few of us, to collectively purchase an OEM core, and then as each is made, trade out our old core to each other until all have had our wheels made… thoughts?
It’s absolutely a core issue due to them not starting with a TRX core. No question the product is high quality were it not for that challenge.

Are they producing TRX wheels?
No. I’m familiar with them from my Jeeps and at this point as of a few months ago they had no plans to get into TRX wheels when I talked to them then.

Aza wheels does them but they don’t offer matte carbon fiber to match our interiors fiber. They do start with a TRX wheel however for perfect fitment. They also don’t build them up the way Zen does to have a heftier feel, thicker, etc.

Weird.....guess I was lucky....the only issue I had was the clicking of the clock spring which was corrected. Otherwise, mine fits perfect and is perfectly straight with all buttons and heat working as well. I specifically spoke with the tech before and told him I wanted it all to work perfect or yank it back off.....probly why it cost me $800 for the "custom" fabrication.

Well, one final update. Took the truck in for an alignment to center the new wheel at local truck shop that has a ton of experience vs the dealer tech. Didn’t need much adjustment at all and the wheel is now centered, fully functional, and looks fantastic.

I’ve spoken with Zen about needing to use TRX cores or stop selling these because most people won’t be as patient and be willing or able to do all the work I did to get the wheel to work or like @tblountman, pay several hundred bucks to have it done. Their choice and I have no idea what they will do. I suspect they will continue to sell subpar wheels that need a lot of work as they seemed like all the things I encountered were just no big deal.

Eric

Supposedly, Zen has sent my wheel out after 6+ months but I have the feeling I will have the same issues as you have had. Unfortunately, I am one of those who do not have the talent nor inclination to go thru what it takes to fix this wheel. I mentioned your issues to them and, as you have stated, they acted like it is no big deal. Luckily, Paypal has pulled my payment from their account so if I do have further issues, I will just return the wheel.

Well, one final update. Took the truck in for an alignment to center the new wheel at local truck shop that has a ton of experience vs the dealer tech. Didn’t need much adjustment at all and the wheel is now centered, fully functional, and looks fantastic.

I’ve spoken with Zen about needing to use TRX cores or stop selling these because most people won’t be as patient and be willing or able to do all the work I did to get the wheel to work or like @tblountman, pay several hundred bucks to have it done. Their choice and I have no idea what they will do. I suspect they will continue to sell subpar wheels that need a lot of work as they seemed like all the things I encountered were just no big deal.

Eric
Other than aligning the wheel, what did your local shop end up doing to tweak it? As far as the grinding issue goes.

Other than aligning the wheel, what did your local shop end up doing to tweak it? As far as the grinding issue goes.
I did it. I had to grind the entire taper at the back of the hole to a new angle to get it to seat all the way and engage the clock spring. I got my hands on a set of taper gages so I was able to grind small amounts, color the gage and insert it to see where I need to grind next, etc.

Also, if you have a heated wheel you have to cut the connectors off the steering wheel harness and install your own on those four wires (two sets of two) as well as the mating connectors on the Zen wheel. They told me I just needed to remove the factory connectors off the old wheel and put them on the new but that is not possible with the those connectors as they are pinned connectors, machine crimped, and not reusable.

I did it. I had to grind the entire taper at the back of the hole to a new angle to get it to seat all the way and engage the clock spring. I got my hands on a set of taper gages so I was able to grind small amounts, color the gage and insert it to see where I need to grind next, etc.

Also, if you have a heated wheel you have to cut the connectors off the steering wheel harness and install your own on those four wires (two sets of two) as well as the mating connectors on the Zen wheel. They told me I just needed to remove the factory connectors off the old wheel and put them on the new but that is not possible with the those connectors as they are pinned connectors, machine crimped, and not reusable.
Gotcha, that makes sense. Oddly enough, one of the Zen guys JUST emailed me back after about a month and said they are working on developing an adapter washer due to the wheel sitting to far in and catching the clockspring. I am hoping for one, this doesn't take another 6 months, and 2 that the washer is effective.

Gotcha, that makes sense. Oddly enough, one of the Zen guys JUST emailed me back after about a month and said they are working on developing an adapter washer due to the wheel sitting to far in and catching the clockspring. I am hoping for one, this doesn't take another 6 months, and 2 that the washer is effective.
I warned them that washer was NOT a fix and I do not recommend doing that. It will engage the clock spring but you will be bolting the wheel down on an edge vs the taper and it’s a lot off. I would never accept that and I told them so.

Latest Discussions...

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers
Back