My truck is here, but what would you do?

scottn

TRX Fanatic
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 TRX Billet Silver
Current Ride #2
Defender
My TRX arrived tonight. I sent the list of issues to the dealer and asked them to review to confirm truck had no issues. They refused. Said it would cost them too much in tech time. I then asked if I could bring my own mechanic, and their response was that he could come look at it in the parking lot, but they won't put it on a lift for us. I promise you - I have made very few inquiries since I ordered this truck back in Sept. They told me it would arrive by Dec, but I've held on until now without complaining to them. Honestly, the dealer experience is completely offputting. If something should go wrong, do I really think that this dealer would go out of their way to keep me satisfied? No chance.

My TRX arrived tonight. I sent the list of issues to the dealer and asked them to review to confirm truck had no issues. They refused. Said it would cost them too much in tech time. I then asked if I could bring my own mechanic, and their response was that he could come look at it in the parking lot, but they won't put it on a lift for us. I promise you - I have made very few inquiries since I ordered this truck back in Sept. They told me it would arrive by Dec, but I've held on until now without complaining to them. Honestly, the dealer experience is completely offputting. If something should go wrong, do I really think that this dealer would go out of their way to keep me satisfied? No chance.
I got a similar response from a dealer in New Braunfels, TX. Where is your dealer?

What an awful dealership response. I would probably still take the truck after looking at it in the parking lot as much as you can and then leave them a bad review and tell them after the sale their response was horrible and use another dealer for service. Give em 1 stars on the dealer survey.

But in all fairness this again speaks poorly to the Ram brand that we have to fight dealers to get a proper inspection of our trucks cause they refuse ownership of their build issues and refuse to issue a service bulletin or TSB for things to check during PDI. Sorry to hear they even said that to you man.

Dallas. No question in my mind that my Ford dealer would have done this for me. They treat me like I'm buying a Dodge Dart rather than a $100k high performance vehicle with a documented history of issues. LOVE the truck, but the dealer experience is what you'd expect from Saul's Used Cars.

I can’t tell you what to do, but if a dealership is unwilling to do the bare minimum to back up their product and protect my safety I would walk away from them. This isn’t a favor you’re asking, this is the direct result of their manufacturer’s failings ... these inspections are non negotiable as far as I’m concerned.

@RamCares Tell your dealer in this situation to do their jobs and properly inspect customer trucks before releasing them out on the road. The TRX does have a concerning level of quality issues. The least you can do for your Halo customers is intervene and get them a proper inspection.

I can’t tell you what to do, but if a dealership is unwilling to do the bare minimum to back up their product and protect my safety I would walk away from them. This isn’t a favor you’re asking, this is the direct result of their manufacturer’s failings ... these inspections are non negotiable as far as I’m concerned.
1+ to this.

Dallas. No question in my mind that my Ford dealer would have done this for me. They treat me like I'm buying a Dodge Dart rather than a $100k high performance vehicle with a documented history of issues. LOVE the truck, but the dealer experience is what you'd expect from Saul's Used Cars.
Never filmed a youtube video in my life but I'm tempted to walk in with a gopro when I pick up mine. Seems to get things done....

Working for dealer, I see both sides!!
:deep breath:

Owner side:
Yes, as a member of this board, we all know that there are a ton of QC issues that have been presented. Hell, We are paying crazy money for a vehicle, so we should not have to worry with these issues!!

Dealer side:
1.) This truck was not built by the dealer, it was built by FCA, most dealers won't want to spend up to 500.00 to run a new vehicle through a vigorous inspection. 2.) We have rules that govern us from upselling warranty work, without a complaint, and creates a massive audit finding, in the event of an audit. 3.) We have a PDI checklist that we follow, this is what FCA pays, minimal flag hours and dollars to do. So thats the checklist that gets done. (Flag techs rightfully shouldn't have to do more and be paid less.)

Believe it or not, a dealerships service department bills the sales department for everything that runs through the shop. It does not matter what it is (even airing up tires on a vehicle that had been setting on the lot on a cold morning or adding washer fluid to a vehicle), it's 2 different entities (service / sales). Worst part is that often the sales department pays full boat for everything, there is NO internal discount pricing and typically it's more then retail pricing to use their own service department. 😂😂

With that said, I'm an advocate for the service side of things, as thats what I've done for the last 25 years in this business, 15 with FCA. I agree, a sales department should care about about their customers wants, but I'm old school! I believe people make a decision to buy from you based on previous transactions or referrals.

Again, although I advocate for the service side and disagree, But After talking with salesmen / sales managers, they believe that the internet has screwed that up for the sales side. To them, most people value buy. We come to them because they have the better deal, We demand a price, and if it isn't met, we are off to the next, this is the shop of it all, right? So, their logic is thats what you come for, why sink more money into a unit?

With that said, most dealers will do this list for you without question, Just know that they don't HAVE to, I know mine would lol. if your dealer won't take care of this, my suggestion is to either make up complaints that relate to what's on the check list, so that the tech can be payed for his time by FCA, by way of no trouble found labor ops (they do pay this, as long as their is a complaint) or the quicker is to pay the service department to do an external inspection on your vehicle.

When my truck finally shows, you can bet that my tech will be looking it over with a fine tooth comb and even though I work with my guys 12 hours a day, 6 days a week, ill still be paying them for their time.

Lastly, IMO: if you paid an ADM for your truck, the dealer should 100% not mind paying to complete this inspection. If they did, I'd walk away from them so fast and not look back.

I'd also like to add, DONT burn them on the survey, those surveys are the dealers lifeline, when it comes to JD powers and FCA dealer rewards. Infact, sometimes, your one survey can be worth more the them selling 10 vehicles. The biggest Secret ill share with you, Is to use it as a tool of leverage. Rather then burn them, tell them "hey, I'll take this survey with all 10s, if you do this inspection for me" I promise you, that will get you further. Insider info, once a survey is sent in as a burn, it can't be taken back and you've become that guy noone is gonna help in the future haH!!

I would do a thorough inspection & if all checks out buy the truck & enjoy the heck out of it! Then use a different dealer if you are still not happy.

This truck is freaking amazing! I know about the reported issues but honestly many would not have been found during a dealership inspection anyway. And I think its a little overblown, more than usual for a launch, maybe, maybe not.

I think a lot of people, that is the majority of people arent having issues & just dont report that, all the attention goes to the minority of trucks that have had problems which all seem to be taken care of, some have taken longer than others.. And thats what a warranty is for but obviously for those folks, hardly ideal. Also think the very first few 100 trucks were probably more likely to have QC issues than trucks being delivered now.

I ordered on August 20th, 2nd day & in early January was debating whether to walk after the long delays & now after owning the TRX for 3 weeks, there is no doubt walking away would have been the worst decision I made on a vehicle. I love this truck, its insane. I wouldnt let the issues that have been reported or a bad dealership stop you from getting this sick truck. Good luck in whatever you decide!

Working for dealer, I see both sides!!
:deep breath:

Owner side:
Yes, as a member of this board, we all know that there are a ton of QC issues that have been presented. Hell, We are paying crazy money for a vehicle, so we should not have to worry with these issues!!

Dealer side:
1.) This truck was not built by the dealer, it was built by FCA, most dealers won't want to spend up to 500.00 to run a new vehicle through a vigorous inspection. 2.) We have rules that govern us from upselling warranty work, without a complaint, and creates a massive audit finding, in the event of an audit. 3.) We have a PDI checklist that we follow, this is what FCA pays, minimal flag hours and dollars to do. So thats the checklist that gets done. (Flag techs rightfully shouldn't have to do more and be paid less.)

Believe it or not, a dealerships service department bills the sales department for everything that runs through the shop. It does not matter what it is (even airing up tires on a vehicle that had been setting on the lot on a cold morning or adding washer fluid to a vehicle), it's 2 different entities (service / sales). Worst part is that often the sales department pays full boat for everything, there is NO internal discount pricing and typically it's more then retail pricing to use their own service department. 😂😂

With that said, I'm an advocate for the service side of things, as thats what I've done for the last 25 years in this business, 15 with FCA. I agree, a sales department should care about about their customers wants, but I'm old school! I believe people make a decision to buy from you based on previous transactions or referrals.

Again, although I advocate for the service side and disagree, But After talking with salesmen / sales managers, they believe that the internet has screwed that up for the sales side. To them, most people value buy. We come to them because they have the better deal, We demand a price, and if it isn't met, we are off to the next, this is the shop of it all, right? So, their logic is thats what you come for, why sink more money into a unit?

With that said, most dealers will do this list for you without question, Just know that they don't HAVE to, I know mine would lol. if your dealer won't take care of this, my suggestion is to either make up complaints that relate to what's on the check list, so that the tech can be payed for his time by FCA, by way of no trouble found labor ops (they do pay this, as long as their is a complaint) or the quicker is to pay the service department to do an external inspection on your vehicle.

When my truck finally shows, you can bet that my tech will be looking it over with a fine tooth comb and even though I work with my guys 12 hours a day, 6 days a week, ill still be paying them for their time.

Lastly, IMO: if you paid an ADM for your truck, the dealer should 100% not mind paying to complete this inspection. If they did, I'd walk away from them so fast and not look back.

I'd also like to add, DONT burn them on the survey, those surveys are the dealers lifeline, when it comes to JD powers and FCA dealer rewards. Infact, sometimes, your one survey can be worth more the them selling 10 vehicles. The biggest Secret ill share with you, Is to use it as a tool of leverage. Rather then burn them, tell them "hey, I'll take this survey with all 10s, if you do this inspection for me" I promise you, that will get you further. Insider info, once a survey is sent in as a burn, it can't be taken back and you've become that guy noone is gonna help in the future haH@@!!
@OkieTRX80 This is extremely insightful. On one hand I want to respectfully say that I understand 100% the aforementioned dealer perspective. On the other hand, folks are spending $90k+ for a luxury (necessity?) that some might not really need. But, that money can be spent at a foreign luxury dealer and receive exemplary service which some of the folks buying a high end (and the most bitchin truck ever!) are kind of expecting. And then, there is the Dodge Dart at the same dealer 🙂. At some point in the not too distant future (hopefully 🤔), my dealer in Ohio will do a PDI in my presence prior to me driving from Ohio to CA on one of the best road trip experiences that I can think of. Not because of the the scenery and previously travelled path, but this time in the TRX. Cant wait to fill out that survey!

@OkieTRX80 This is extremely insightful. On one hand I want to respectfully say that I understand 100% the aforementioned dealer perspective. On the other hand, folks are spending $90k+ for a luxury (necessity?) that some might not really need. But, that money can be spent at a foreign luxury dealer and receive exemplary service which some of the folks buying a high end (and the most bitchin truck ever!) are kind of expecting. And then, there is the Dodge Dart at the same dealer 🙂. At some point in the not too distant future (hopefully 🤔), my dealer in Ohio will do a PDI in my presence prior to me driving from Ohio to CA on one of the best road trip experiences that I can think of. Not because of the the scenery and previously travelled path, but this time in the TRX. Cant wait to fill out that survey!
Who’s your dealer in Ohio? Curious if I’m close.

With just a creeper, you can easily get under there with it on the ground and see all the main connectivity places that have had assembly issues. I have done it in my own home garage to take picture of exhaust components and everything underneath.

Just check to see if bolts are missing or half screwed in. The list points you right where and what to look for.

If you have a snug but not torqued to spec, oil or transmission line, the simple hand attempt to turn it wont catch it. It will either come off or start leaking under high pressure load.

I bought mine early this year, before I knew about the assembly issues and mine checked out fine, no issues. I would think with all the pressure Triple B has been putting on FCA for assembly issues, delivery of trucks to dealers that ordered months after customers did and the assembled trucks that just sit in Michigan for months for some unknown reason not being delivered with no communication.

I took my truck to an extreme off road custom shop and tires plus, just to compare. I had done business with both places before and they knew me, but both places, offer free safety checks, once its up on the lift, its easy to run thru the list. Everyone one at both places, wanted to get a close up of the TRX.

The bottom line is if you dont buy it someone else will, if it does a need a few bolts replaced or tightened down, hopefully that will be it. I have seen no issues at all on mine. Make sure you understand your states lemon law also before purchasing, that is another easy way to get rid of a lemon, just need to follow whatever steps your state requires.

Will you loose a deposit if you wont buy?

Sadly, this is where we are with this truck. FCA wont authorize dealer safety checks post delivery, becasue that would mean they have no QC at all and they are not going to take that black eye.

That’s tough....

On a positive note, at least they are being honest with you. There’s nothing worse than to be told it was done, you take it home, and find issues.

If it were me, to avoid losing a deposit, I would take it home. Invite some friends over, and inspect. Or take it to a small shop and simply pay them to put it on a lift and check. You may be able to find some local speed shops willing to do it for free just to get the opportunity to look at it.

Its hard for me to trust any dealership. My dealer claimed to have put it up on a lift and checked everything. I found three issues, two with electrical harness routings/mounting and one with my drivers side wiper arm going off the glass when wiping. I don’t share this to make you think you will run into issues, but more so to point out I am glad I went thru this process as I feel more comfortable with my truck having crawled all over and under looking for this stuff.

There are 2 ways to look at it....If no matter what issue is found you still want the truck and you are willing to deal with the warranty work then just buy it and go over it and submit repairs for waranty. Or if you will only buy that TRX if it is without any issues and you are willing to walk away then take it for a test drive to an independent mechanic you trust and pay them to put it on a lift and go over the known issues....People do that all the time with used cars but there is no reason you cant do it with a new car.

Seems unfair , it's their job to do a PDI and you pay for it on your invoice, at least here in Canada) But maybe a quick drive to a local garage and put it on a hoist. Since you have a list as to what to check, have your mechanic take a look. They shouldn't charge too much and they may be real interested to have a look at what's goin' on underneath anyways especially if you know them. Any issues have to be fixed by the dealer if you find any. For me, I'd rather check it out myself anyways.

Dealership gets paid to do a PDI on the car. THEY ARE REQUIRED to put it on a lift for the PDI. This makes no sense. Anything they find would be under warranty obviously and again, they would get paid. Either they don't want you to buy the truck or you have an idiot as a service rep. Call FCA and tell them you bought a truck and the dealership is refusing to do a PDI on it.

Insist on it!!

Back