My Build was issued a Vin# and is in D Status How can I track my build?

Chugger28

TRX Fanatic
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
TRX Black
I ordered my truck at my local dealer hoping it would get picked up! And it did! They accepted her and issued her a Vin#. It is in D status right now! What can I expect during the build? and is there a way to track my build until delivery? What are the different stages it does through? D1 D2 ect and what can I expect? Thanks for any info! Stoked to be a proud owner of a TRX!

Stolen off the Ram Forum but still applies to TRX builds:

D - Firm order. Your order now has a name instead of a number: A VIN! Materials should have been ordered by this point if all goes well, you should have a truck.

D1 - The date is set for your truck to be built. The plant knows when it should have parts sequenced for building and it should start to be built within 48 hours of the date set.

E - Frame. Metal is welded together to form the body and frame. The body is inspected at the end of this step to ensure it's within tolerances.

F - Paint. The metal is coated, primed, sprayed, clearcoated, polished, inspected, and hand finished if necessary.

G - Trim. The engine is installed in the chassis, the interior is installed, the chassis is mated to the body, the bed is put on. At the end of this, your truck is built.

I - Inspection. Your truck goes through a battery of shakedown tests and measurements are taken to ensure the vehicle looks and performs as expected.

JB - Body Vendor. The vehicle is sent off site to have a spray liner put in, steps, etc.

JS - Storage. Some of you call this "Prison". I like to think of it as QA trying to ensure you get what you expected. Typically if something happens or is found in the I step (or even a previous step), it goes here to get checked and fixed. A panel looks off color, a part on your truck was in the same batch as a bunch of failed parts, a light doesn't turn on, etc will all cause the truck to get sent here for a detailed inspection and fix.

Another reason it can end up here is either the dealer has asked to have the trucked delayed (it has a full lot and can only handle so many) or it has a special event coming up. Typically that isn't done on a sold order.

Nobody likes the vehicle to be in this status as you don't get your truck and Chrysler doesn't make money.

KZ - Shipment. The truck is ready to be shipped. The dealer is actually charged for the truck. As you all know, this can be a source of delay. Typically you see me put two statuses here: Awaiting Shipment and "Staged for Shipment". The first means it is in the general shipping yard waiting to be pulled to be put on a truck and/or train. The second means it has been pulled to be put on a truck and/or train but it hasn't actually got on the truck or train yet. There are a ton of substatuses here to track the status of the vehicle as it makes its way through the shipping system. KZX is the only one that you really care about as that means it was delivered to the dealer.

Ohhh... and welcome to the forum! There’s a wealth of knowledge on here and a large assortment of interesting folks. Congrats on your order!

Welcome and congrats on ordering and getting a VIN! The move from D to D1 could take a while so be prepared. If you ordered things like exterior graphics, bedliner, or parts that may be in short supply (carbon fiber), it can also slow down your ultimate delivery.

I had to do without a couple of things on my Gen 2 Raptor for the same reasons. Carbon fiber, bead locks. Orange accents... and I always have regretted it.
I ordered everything I wanted, in the color that I wanted, and I’m going to wait for it. My advice is don’t try to predict what will or won’t get your truck shipped. — just get what you want.

Welcome and congrats on ordering and getting a VIN! The move from D to D1 could take a while so be prepared. If you ordered things like exterior graphics, bedliner, or parts that may be in short supply (carbon fiber), it can also slow down your ultimate delivery.
Is there a way to find out what parts are in "Short supply"? Because I did order graphics, bed liner.....and so forth

Stolen off the Ram Forum but still applies to TRX builds:

D - Firm order. Your order now has a name instead of a number: A VIN! Materials should have been ordered by this point if all goes well, you should have a truck.

D1 - The date is set for your truck to be built. The plant knows when it should have parts sequenced for building and it should start to be built within 48 hours of the date set.

E - Frame. Metal is welded together to form the body and frame. The body is inspected at the end of this step to ensure it's within tolerances.

F - Paint. The metal is coated, primed, sprayed, clearcoated, polished, inspected, and hand finished if necessary.

G - Trim. The engine is installed in the chassis, the interior is installed, the chassis is mated to the body, the bed is put on. At the end of this, your truck is built.

I - Inspection. Your truck goes through a battery of shakedown tests and measurements are taken to ensure the vehicle looks and performs as expected.

JB - Body Vendor. The vehicle is sent off site to have a spray liner put in, steps, etc.

JS - Storage. Some of you call this "Prison". I like to think of it as QA trying to ensure you get what you expected. Typically if something happens or is found in the I step (or even a previous step), it goes here to get checked and fixed. A panel looks off color, a part on your truck was in the same batch as a bunch of failed parts, a light doesn't turn on, etc will all cause the truck to get sent here for a detailed inspection and fix.

Another reason it can end up here is either the dealer has asked to have the trucked delayed (it has a full lot and can only handle so many) or it has a special event coming up. Typically that isn't done on a sold order.

Nobody likes the vehicle to be in this status as you don't get your truck and Chrysler doesn't make money.

KZ - Shipment. The truck is ready to be shipped. The dealer is actually charged for the truck. As you all know, this can be a source of delay. Typically you see me put two statuses here: Awaiting Shipment and "Staged for Shipment". The first means it is in the general shipping yard waiting to be pulled to be put on a truck and/or train. The second means it has been pulled to be put on a truck and/or train but it hasn't actually got on the truck or train yet. There are a ton of substatuses here to track the status of the vehicle as it makes its way through the shipping system. KZX is the only one that you really care about as that means it was delivered to the dealer.
Good information, thank you. Although, I am only in D status (rolling on the ground kicking and crying). Do you know if there is a typical timeframe from the build start date to finish?

Back