TRX of the Year 🏆
RAM-TRX.com Legend
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
Ram TRX
Current Ride #2
Range Rover Sport supercharged, F-150 FX4, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Seems consensus is a 37” tire won’t fit in the standard spare location as is.

can anyone with a truck take a look and confirm? Is it just plastic in the way that could be cut?

if a 37” spare won’t fit under the truck. Whats the best way to carry a spare 37” while still running a tonneau cover? Does the mopar unit extend too high?

Mopar unit is too high.

Seems consensus is a 37” tire won’t fit in the standard spare location as is.

can anyone with a truck take a look and confirm? Is it just plastic in the way that could be cut?

if a 37” spare won’t fit under the truck. Whats the best way to carry a spare 37” while still running a tonneau cover? Does the mopar unit extend too high?
I don't have a 37" at the house right now to try but here is pics of the stock 35" under the bed, its definitely tight. There is a plastic skirt around most the tire that could be removed, but the exhaust splits and goes down both sides just outside that skirt. I seen that you were wanting to change the exhaust anyway so if done correctly it may give enough room to clear a 37". it looks like lift cable could be shifted forward enough to make the tire clear the cross bar for the hitch at the back of the truck.

I couldn't pull the camera away far enough to get the entire spare in the shot sitting in the garage, so you get both sides near the exhaust and then the rear showing the cross bar for the hitch.

As for mounting it in the bed with a cover. You could make a custom plate to mount where the factory one does but to lay the tire flat instead of kicked at an angle. It would just take up more bed space then but should still go under the cover.

Spare1.jpg
Spare2.jpg
Spare4.jpg

Thanks. That helps

I didn't order the bed tire carrier so I don't have one here to look at first hand and I also got the factory bed liner so any trace of where it actually mounts in my bed is hidden at this point. Otherwise I would try to get a few measurements and draw up a flat mount.

Something similar to this but could be designed so that it mounted to the factory carrier mounts instead of drilling more holes.

I didn't order the bed tire carrier so I don't have one here to look at first hand and I also got the factory bed liner so any trace of where it actually mounts in my bed is hidden at this point. Otherwise I would try to get a few measurements and draw up a flat mount.

Something similar to this but could be designed so that it mounted to the factory carrier mounts instead of drilling more holes.

I looked around and that seems to be the best flat carrier. I don’t really want to lose the bedspace.

maybe an aired down 37 would fit in the normal location with some cutting?

otherwise is lots of fix a flat a ridiculous option? Seems like it would work on punctures but obviously nothing catastrophic like a tear

Problem solved lol
1614637950696.png

I looked around and that seems to be the best flat carrier. I don’t really want to lose the bedspace.

otherwise is lots of fix a flat a ridiculous option? Seems like it would work on punctures but obviously nothing catastrophic like a tear
Hey aren’t you the one who is tearing out the back seats? Just put a vertical tire mount there. Cheers

Hey aren’t you the one who is tearing out the back seats? Just put a vertical tire mount there. Cheers
That’s an excellent point. My Cane Corso still needs to fit and I would need a really good anchor so I don’t take a tire to the face

if you have on board air (also seen you mention that you may be adding that to the bed) then you could possibly get away with leaving the spare under the bed in a partially inflated state ?

I may actually do this. Think it would survive offroad?
On the Silverado in the picture, sure!! On a TRX Baja'ing with a 37" spare, I have my doubts. I have had versions similar to this on jeeps and if you are truly going to baja the truck I wouldn't expect it to survive. A 37" tire on a single moment arm like that, that swings from the receiver hitch is a BUNCH of overhung weight to be throwing around.

I had 38's on a Rubicon and that spare abused the back of the jeep in far slower speed offroading. When I stepped up to 40's I did away with the ability to swing out and made it swing down from both sides and tied it into both back corners of the tub to roll cage so the tire was anchored at 4 points instead of just one. Similar to the Genright, this also gave the added benefit of being MUCH easier to actually get the tire off the carrier on the trail because the carrier just laid down to the ground. A 40" beadlocked tire is tough to roll around and mount in the shop, it becomes a royal PITA on the trail.

I’m gonna try to see if it will fit air’ed down. Otherwise probably a flat bed carrier. I’m probably mounting a compressor anyway.

looking at the ko2’s which seem to run slightly small. I’ll see if it fits

I’m gonna try to see if it will fit air’ed down. Otherwise probably a flat bed carrier. I’m probably mounting a compressor anyway.

Air down a 37 for the spare location if it will fit, or just have onboard air and tire plugs on hand. Those will fix a majority of issues other than sidewall tears. BFGs do typically run a little small, so that might help fitting the factory spare location. When is your truck supposed to arrive?

Air down a 37 for the spare location if it will fit, or just have onboard air and tire plugs on hand. Those will fix a majority of issues other than sidewall tears. BFGs do typically run a little small, so that might help fitting the factory spare location. When is your truck supposed to arrive?
About a week and a half. Transports from MI to OR is a bit challenged right now

Let me know where you end up mounting your compressor. I looked and the passenger side of the engine bay seems to have plenty of room. I am thinking of putting mine there.

I highly doubt a deflated tire will fit in the underside space. These tires don’t really compress any.

About a week and a half. Transports from MI to OR is a bit challenged right now
Did you get notification that it was on the train?

Did you get notification that it was on the train?
I’m shipping mine personally from an msrp dealership in Michigan. Could not find any west region dealers at close to sticker. Bought a loaded blue truck at msrp. Shipping is a couple grand

Let me know where you end up mounting your compressor. I looked and the passenger side of the engine bay seems to have plenty of room. I am thinking of putting mine there.

I highly doubt a deflated tire will fit in the underside space. These tires don’t really compress any.
I doubt it will fit either but getting custom straight pipes. If I slightly reroute the exhaust and cut part of the plastic around factory spare it might fit.

on the compressor was planning on getting the truck then checking it out. The pre-filled tanks look pretty easy vs powered compressor. Just need to have a welding supply refill it

Rip out the plastic shroud. Wrap the 37" spare around the tread with aluminum tape.

Back