Founding Member
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2023 TRX
Current Ride #2
2021 Can-Am Commander Max

WOW is all I can say.....

The 2021 Ram 1500 TRX is the quickest pickup truck we've ever tested. It accelerates from zero to 60 mph in just 4.1 seconds and races on through the quarter-mile in 12.7 seconds at 106.3 mph.”

Last edited:
Ram 1500 TRX Blasted to 60 MPH in 3.7 Seconds in Our Testing
How is that even possible? It's certainly one of the great performance surprises of the year.

• We recently tested a Ram 1500 TRX, and it dramatically outperformed expectations for straight-line acceleration.
  • Its 3.7-second shot to 60 mph is far quicker than Ram's 4.5-second estimate, which it provided at the TRX's launch.
  • However, using simple equations to calculate horsepower based on vehicle weight, quarter-mile time, and trap speed suggest that the TRX's power is in line with the stated figure of 702 horsepower.
Our gut reaction to the Ram TRX's truly astonishing acceleration—shooting to 60 mph in 3.7 seconds and through the quarter-mile in 12.3 seconds at 110 mph—had us wondering if our truck had been slipped a 797-hp Redeye engine or maybe an 840-hp Demon variant.

Even though, at a massive 6866 pounds, the TRX weighs some 1600 pounds (!) more than the 707-hp Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk, it's only 0.3 second slower to 60 mph and 0.5 second tardier through a quarter-mile. That's far better than Ram's estimates of a 4.5-second zero-to-60-mph time and a 12.9-second quarter-mile. Perhaps those sandbagging claims were to give Ford a false sense of confidence about the performance of its supposedly soon-to-arrive V-8–powered F-150 Raptor for a few more months.

Ram engineers scoffed at our suggestion that this press truck was making more horsepower than advertised, but couldn't provide a solid explanation why the TRX's acceleration numbers far exceed those of the Trackhawk despite the huge weight difference. Sure enough, estimating our TRX's power based on weight, quarter-mile time, and trap speed—Horsepower = Weight x (trap speed/234)^3 and Horsepower = Weight / (quarter-mile time/5.825)^3—indeed places the output between 695 and 705 horses, right in line with the truck's nominal 702-hp rating.

Maybe it's the Ram's Hellcat-powered sibling that's coming up short. The same calculations using our test numbers for the Trackhawk suggests it makes between 601 and 624 horsepower.

Either way, the TRX's outrageous acceleration is one of the great performance surprises of the year.

Ram 1500 TRX Blasted to 60 MPH in 3.7 Seconds in Our Testing
How is that even possible? It's certainly one of the great performance surprises of the year.

• We recently tested a Ram 1500 TRX, and it dramatically outperformed expectations for straight-line acceleration.
  • Its 3.7-second shot to 60 mph is far quicker than Ram's 4.5-second estimate, which it provided at the TRX's launch.
  • However, using simple equations to calculate horsepower based on vehicle weight, quarter-mile time, and trap speed suggest that the TRX's power is in line with the stated figure of 702 horsepower.
Our gut reaction to the Ram TRX's truly astonishing acceleration—shooting to 60 mph in 3.7 seconds and through the quarter-mile in 12.3 seconds at 110 mph—had us wondering if our truck had been slipped a 797-hp Redeye engine or maybe an 840-hp Demon variant.

Even though, at a massive 6866 pounds, the TRX weighs some 1600 pounds (!) more than the 707-hp Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk, it's only 0.3 second slower to 60 mph and 0.5 second tardier through a quarter-mile. That's far better than Ram's estimates of a 4.5-second zero-to-60-mph time and a 12.9-second quarter-mile. Perhaps those sandbagging claims were to give Ford a false sense of confidence about the performance of its supposedly soon-to-arrive V-8–powered F-150 Raptor for a few more months.

Ram engineers scoffed at our suggestion that this press truck was making more horsepower than advertised, but couldn't provide a solid explanation why the TRX's acceleration numbers far exceed those of the Trackhawk despite the huge weight difference. Sure enough, estimating our TRX's power based on weight, quarter-mile time, and trap speed—Horsepower = Weight x (trap speed/234)^3 and Horsepower = Weight / (quarter-mile time/5.825)^3—indeed places the output between 695 and 705 horses, right in line with the truck's nominal 702-hp rating.

Maybe it's the Ram's Hellcat-powered sibling that's coming up short. The same calculations using our test numbers for the Trackhawk suggests it makes between 601 and 624 horsepower.

Either way, the TRX's outrageous acceleration is one of the great performance surprises of the year.
Sorry didn’t see your new post.

Sorry didn’t see your new post.

Was I first? Who cares right, this is awesome! It’s faster than a Cheetah on Cocaine!

Last edited:
This is fantastic news! It makes waiting a little more easy.

Goes to show you assuming traction control is completely off and this thing doesn't spin tires (which I haven't seen or heard a video of it spinning) that elevation temperature humidity dew point and fuel type play a HUGE part in 0-60 and 1/4 mile times....I highly doubt any of these credible 3rd party testers aren't capable of accurately timing a 0-60 or quarter mile nor would they have any reason to lie which means that in ideal conditions with no modifications other than high quality fuel we can see our trucks well under 4.0 second 0-60 on the streets once we get them.....This news is better than all the Flying TRX videos that just got released and I thought I was on the moon watching truck after truck launch into the air and land gracefully without damage

The other thing that might be happening is those using launch control (which historically has sucked on the hellcat platform) might be getting closer to the 4.5 times and those being driven by experienced drivers launching and rolling on the throttle optimally without the LC might be getting numbers closer to the 3.7 mark.....Either way im pumped

The article says it weighs 6800 lbs? I thought it was 6300?

The article says it weighs 6800 lbs? I thought it was 6300?
My guess is that the 6300 is based on some "standard spec". Start adding Rambars, rock rails, panoramic sunroofs, 19 vs 10 speaker stereo's etc. and that weight goes up. Here was an image of the sticker from one of the test trucks that Pickup Truck Plus SUV Talk drove showing a max payload of 966 lbs vs the claimed 1310.

Car and Drivers' was even worse at 934lb layload.

LoadingSticker.png

Last edited:
My guess is that the 6300 is based on some "standard spec". Start adding Rambars, rock rails, panoramic sunroofs, 19 vs 10 speaker stereo's etc. and that weight goes up. Here was an image of the sticker from one of the test trucks that Pickup Truck Plus SUV Talk drove showing a max payload of 966 lbs vs the claimed 1310.

View attachment 1222
Thanks for posting. What a horrible payload rating though, I completely understand why and what the truck is designed for, but I may just have to keep my current ram.

Limited payload? What does that mean? ?

Attachments

• C8A545C9-E666-48DC-BFAE-25682A31CC3D.jpeg
    C8A545C9-E666-48DC-BFAE-25682A31CC3D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 107
  • 6BBB7DDF-C042-4742-8A67-506EBEDF21E4.jpeg
    6BBB7DDF-C042-4742-8A67-506EBEDF21E4.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 108
Automobile Mag article link... pretty good review..

Best Quote ..... “There you have it—the quickest, most powerful production truck in history. It tows the moon, out-drags a Subaru WRX STI, climbs like an ibex, yells over a Mustang GT, jumps like a flea, lands like a cat, and drinks like an 18th century sailor on shore-leave.”

Here is another great story from Fourwheeler mag...

Last edited:
I'm disappointed in Motortrend. Lieberman posted a video with a TRX with a trailer drag racing what looks to be a F250 with the 7.3. Where's the video?

View attachment 1222
Makes me wonder if one were so inclined to install some airbags on the rear axel to inflate when you needed to haul something if it would be better than constantly overloading the crazy expensive rear suspension....it would likely ride like shit with them inflated but you could put 2k plus lbs in the bed and keep the stock empty suspension height, clearly the engine and transmission can handle the weight the limits are entirely due to the suspension....

The other thing that will require some research to go that route is finding an airbag tall enough to accommodate the 14 inches of travel the stock suspension has

Yea, seems crazy low. The NHTSA uses 150lbs for an adult male occupant in all its ratings. Not sure where in America you find these 150 lb "unicorns" but there certainly not around here. I read recently they are considering raising it to 170lbs though, so I'll have LESS to lose at that point I guess :)

Makes me wonder if one were so inclined to install some airbags on the rear axel to inflate when you needed to haul something if it would be better than constantly overloading the crazy expensive rear suspension....it would likely ride like shit with them inflated but you could put 2k plus lbs in the bed and keep the stock empty suspension height, clearly the engine and transmission can handle the weight the limits are entirely due to the suspension....

The other thing that will require some research to go that route is finding an airbag tall enough to accommodate the 14 inches of travel the stock suspension has
Go check out the thread "A way to Increase Payload" as it touches on what you can do about payload, also touches on use of airbags.

Latest Discussions...

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers
Back