Looking for advice on new SUV

Trxtreme

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2019 Gmc
My wife currently has a X5 M-Sport that we leased in 2018. First and Last lease by the way! My wife loves BMWs, I use to love them, but I feel they have cheapened the entire product line. I use to have an older 550, and that car felt solid and well put together. My wifes's X5 feels cheap inside, and does not handle like they use too. Any suggestions? We drove the Cayenne, and I loved it. New Genesis is ok, but Hyundai missed the mark a bit. She likes the look of the new MDX Type-S. Any suggestions? She is not a car nut like me, so high horsepower Track hawks are out of the question!!!
Range Rover Sport. THE BEST They haul a## as well.
Just my opinion anyway.

Hellasaurus

TRX Junkie
Reaction score
miltary
Army
Range Rover Sport. THE BEST They haul a## as well.
Just my opinion anyway.
Caution - they are in the top ten most unreliable category. I had a Range Rover Discovery and all I ever did was fix the thing. I spent more time fixing than driving.

ColoradoOutdoors

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2019 Sierra 2500 Denali
Current Ride #2
2021 RMK Khaos
My wife currently has a X5 M-Sport that we leased in 2018. First and Last lease by the way! My wife loves BMWs, I use to love them, but I feel they have cheapened the entire product line. I use to have an older 550, and that car felt solid and well put together. My wifes's X5 feels cheap inside, and does not handle like they use too. Any suggestions? We drove the Cayenne, and I loved it. New Genesis is ok, but Hyundai missed the mark a bit. She likes the look of the new MDX Type-S. Any suggestions? She is not a car nut like me, so high horsepower Track hawks are out of the question!!!

We moved from a 2011 X5M (100k miles and it towed a 5k camper for the first few year) to a 2020 X7. I was convinced we would get the new Yukon, but the GMC drove like the truck that it is. Thought we would save $ and get the Telluride, but I disagree with every auto mag that seems to identify it as the best 3 row in the world 😂 .

X7 build quality is about as good as it gets across the BMW lineup, nails interior fit finish, and it drives "small" for as big as it is. Hey, it has got more payload than the TRX so it could be your tow vehicle too!

OP
swankyzaphod

swankyzaphod

TRX Fanatic
Reaction score
Current Ride
Jeep JL Rubicon, TRX on order
We moved from a 2011 X5M (100k miles and it towed a 5k camper for the first few year) to a 2020 X7. I was convinced we would get the new Yukon, but the GMC drove like the truck that it is. Thought we would save $ and get the Telluride, but I disagree with every auto mag that seems to identify it as the best 3 row in the world 😂 .

X7 build quality is about as good as it gets across the BMW lineup, nails interior fit finish, and it drives "small" for as big as it is. Hey, it has got more payload than the TRX so it could be your tow vehicle too!
Thanks Colorado, x7 is bigger than we need. We only have one rug rat. We may give the newer x5 a shot, definitely going to look at the MB too.

OP
swankyzaphod

swankyzaphod

TRX Fanatic
Reaction score
Current Ride
Caution - they are in the top ten most unreliable category. I had a Range Rover Discovery and all I ever did was fix the thing. I spent more time fixing than driving.
Agreed, I love the look, but most friends that have RRs, they tend to have lengthy stays back at the dealership. JLR can't be sold to another manufacturer fast enough!

TRXJouster

TRX Fanatic
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
Hellcat>Powerwagon>TRX
when looking at bmw x5, there are a handful of options that make it sport car handling worthy... yes, you can have a x5M suspension in a x5 50i...it was the only way i was willing to buy mine. 3 specific-separate options were necessary

OP
swankyzaphod

swankyzaphod

TRX Fanatic
Reaction score
Current Ride
Just want to circle back on this thread. Looks like the ol' lady is leaning towards a X5. We drove that SQ7 several time, but could not get past the lack of storage. I keep pushing for a X5 M50, she doesn't want to spend the money and only wants a msport straight six.

ColoradoOutdoors

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2019 Sierra 2500 Denali
Current Ride #2
2021 RMK Khaos
Just want to circle back on this thread. Looks like the ol' lady is leaning towards a X5. We drove that SQ7 several time, but could not get past the lack of storage. I keep pushing for a X5 M50, she doesn't want to spend the money and only wants a msport straight six.
Did you guys drive the X7? 360 pounds more payload than the TRX. It can do the truck things the other one can't.

HiElevation

TRX Fiend
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2017 Tundra Platinum
Thanks Colorado, x7 is bigger than we need. We only have one rug rat. We may give the newer x5 a shot, definitely going to look at the MB too.
With one kid, I would say the x3 m40i. We have 2 and a dog and it meets our needs. My wife commutes in it. Driven nicely, it gets 29mpg. Driven by me it hauls ass. It is a fun car to drive. Has held me over waiting for the TRX. And has more room than you’d expect. We went in looking at x5 50i and ended up ordering that.

And fully loaded it is only 60k

OP
swankyzaphod

swankyzaphod

TRX Fanatic
Reaction score
Current Ride
With one kid, I would say the x3 m40i. We have 2 and a dog and it meets our needs. My wife commutes in it. Driven nicely, it gets 29mpg. Driven by me it hauls ass. It is a fun car to drive. Has held me over waiting for the TRX. And has more room than you’d expect. We went in looking at x5 50i and ended up ordering that.

And fully loaded it is only 60k
I told her that as well, I had a X4 M40 (2020) and got rid of it on swapalease. We are going to drive another x5 this weekend and I want her to look at a X3 too. The new straight six in the X3 is zippy.

mlo

TRX Member
Reaction score
Wife drives a 2020 Range Rover Sport HSE. Love the build quality and so far no issues. We talked with several friends that have recent Range Rovers and didn’t hear of any reliability problems.

Hellasaurus

TRX Junkie
Reaction score
miltary
Army
I would look at the Mercedes but that’s just me. It’s all personal preference and sounds like you have already decided on the X5. BMW makes some quality vehicles so it’s hard to go wrong there.

Caliche

Staff member
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2017 GMC 2500 trade for TRX
Current Ride #2
2018 Polaris 1000 Ranger SxS
Hey all, thanks for all the suggestions. We put a custom order in this weekend for a new X5. We got a hell of deal, so it made the choice easy.
Congrats, hope the wife loves it!

Selling4fishing

TRX Member
Reaction score
Stuart FL, Summerland Key FL, Moorisville NC
Name
Michael Kennedy
Current Ride
Trx, Trackhawk, Landcruiser SC, Chevelle, Freeman, Shallow Sport
LX570 or Land Cruiser, reliable as good as it gets. And the depreciation is awsome. Unless you lease all the other ones, the bottom will fall out. I put a SC on my LandCruiser and love it.

ColoradoOutdoors

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2019 Sierra 2500 Denali
Current Ride #2
2021 RMK Khaos
LX570 or Land Cruiser, reliable as good as it gets. And the depreciation is awsome. Unless you lease all the other ones, the bottom will fall out. I put a SC on my LandCruiser and love it.
Well you fixed the power problem on the LC! Nice

TReX-RAM

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Current Ride
Jag F-Pace Sport
My wife suckered me into the RR HSE Dynamic. That thing has been solid for the last year (since we got it). She always laughs because she has more HP than me (518hp vs my 380hp). And now I am buying a TRX just to shut her up. :oops:🤣:cool:

RAM TRX Forum Supporting Member Badge

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com