Koons buying/ delivery experience... a live thread of the experience

I echo the thing about letting them run the credit check. Small concession to make. I also had all my own financing, gave them the opportunity to beat it, they could not, so went ahead with my own. No big deal.

In their defense (not that I am interested in defending ANY car dealer), it also gives them piece of mind that the cashier's check (or whatever form of payment) you give them is real and will cash. I would likely do the same if I was them. Guy comes in with a 750+ score and a cashier's check, "Sure, give them the truck." Guy comes in with a 500 and a personal check and wants his truck...................you do some extra digging.

I echo the thing about letting them run the credit check. Small concession to make. I also had all my own financing, gave them the opportunity to beat it, they could not, so went ahead with my own. No big deal.

In their defense (not that I am interested in defending ANY car dealer), it also gives them piece of mind that the cashier's check (or whatever form of payment) you give them is real and will cash. I would likely do the same if I was them. Guy comes in with a 750+ score and a cashier's check, "Sure, give them the truck." Guy comes in with a 500 and a personal check and wants his truck...................you do some extra digging.
Ya know, that's a good perspective. When I sell I protect myself first. When buying a car from me you have two options if you want to drive away with my car that day
1) bring dollar bills
2) bring a bank check or cashier's check, then we drive to your bank together, you cash it, and turn the cash over to me

Granted I've never dealt with $100k this way. I suppose I would just require the waiting period for the check to clear. But either way, I ain't turning my vehicle over to the new owner until I've got a cash deposit in my account that can't be reversed.

So I registered my TRX today and Koons continues to knock it out of the park. I took deliver on 14 Nov. On 21 Nov I got an email that my registration info and a check had been sent overnight to my local DMV (my state requires me to appear in person to register). The email gave me a Fedex tracking number and said a check for the registration and taxes was included. On 22 Nov it arrived. On 23 Nov I registered my TRX. Everything needed was there and the check covered all but $1xx.xx of the taxes and fees. I’ve never seen a dealer estimate it to the penny, and I’m fine with writing a check for the remainder. So 9 days after taking delivery my truck is registered and my temp tags are gone.

I don’t know if I hit the lottery with my process at Koons, or if all the communication and prep I did before delivery made it easy, or maybe they have seen this thread and they are ensuring I am taken care of. But in any event, Koons has been a A+ from start to finish.

So I registered my TRX today and Koons continues to knock it out of the park. I took deliver on 14 Nov. On 21 Nov I got an email that my registration info and a check had been sent overnight to my local DMV (my state requires me to appear in person to register). The email gave me a Fedex tracking number and said a check for the registration and taxes was included. On 22 Nov it arrived. On 23 Nov I registered my TRX. Everything needed was there and the check covered all but $1xx.xx of the taxes and fees. I’ve never seen a dealer estimate it to the penny, and I’m fine with writing a check for the remainder. So 9 days after taking delivery my truck is registered and my temp tags are gone.

I don’t know if I hit the lottery with my process at Koons, or if all the communication and prep I did before delivery made it easy, or maybe they have seen this thread and they are ensuring I am taken care of. But in any event, Koons has been a A+ from start to finish.
I think a little of both. Having Mike do the finance paperwork is key for a lot of that. You doing the due diligence on the front end also helps. I also think they have been beaten up on here a little bit the last couple of months and stepped their game up. They get a lot of business out of referrals from this forum and don't want to lose it. Consider it a great perfect storm that you are reaping the benefits of :ROFLMAO:

So Koons owed me a check from our transaction. My bank check was over the amount of the financed total, so they owed me the difference back. Mike told me it might be about 30 days. I was fine with that. Well it arrived earlier this week, about 2 weeks after the transaction. They are still batting 1000 with me.

They are still batting 1000 with me.

I am optimistic that this thread and other feedback has them moving in the right direction. I got my tags today as well right at 30 days! So none of the tag drama that some people have had with Koons. They also are reimbursing me for the door ding I had on my truck that I discovered after delivery. I still think the key is to be prepared and go in ready (but honestly one should do that with all dealers), but Koons seems to be doing well now by folks.

My wifes 392 wrangler has landed. I will update here how it goes. Got the generic email abt it landing

Didn't know there was issues with the title/reg for some people. I did bring my prior registration with me from the Tacoma.
I picked the truck up Nov 5th and got my updated title/reg emailed to me on Nov 17th.

I think like many mentioned prior. Have everything you can fleshed out before going up. Allow your credit to be pulled. (Like others I didn't care. It was going to drop after the purchase anyways.) Deal with Mike in financing and you're good.

I did notice some scratches on the black plastic on the fenders. Very minimal but nothing to make me want to have them replaced. The only other thing wrong that I found is on the center console. There are two different leather materials. Driver side is smooth like the dash and passenger side is a rigid texture like the seats. They said I could submit a claim to any dealership but at the same time it's not that big of a deal for me.

Didn't know there was issues with the title/reg for some people. I did bring my prior registration with me from the Tacoma.
I picked the truck up Nov 5th and got my updated title/reg emailed to me on Nov 17th.

I think like many mentioned prior. Have everything you can fleshed out before going up. Allow your credit to be pulled. (Like others I didn't care. It was going to drop after the purchase anyways.) Deal with Mike in financing and you're good.

I did notice some scratches on the black plastic on the fenders. Very minimal but nothing to make me want to have them replaced. The only other thing wrong that I found is on the center console. There are two different leather materials. Driver side is smooth like the dash and passenger side is a rigid texture like the seats. They said I could submit a claim to any dealership but at the same time it's not that big of a deal for me.
Oh no, not the console issue again. I remember reading about that in the PDI checklist and thinking that’s the weirdest QC escape I’d ever heard!

So today was pickup day from Koons . I had no trade and a bank check in hand. Truck landed last Friday I reached out Saturday morning to finalize and confirm the numbers as the new sticker was another 5k higher. There was no issue so all was good. I knew about the credit pull and while normally that wiuld have annoyed the heck out of me I completed it sat afternoon and was assured that they would now accept the bank check and allow my to take the truck. My wife and I decided to take the train up Friday to arrive in time for our 11am Saturday(today) . We arrived about 10 minutes early appointment and were immediately introduced to Brian. Inspected the truck went over the paperwork was handed off to finance. Was offered several different packages, all of which I said no to. There was no pushing or even a show of disappointment. We simply moved on. Shortly thereafter, I went back to Brian and picked up the keys. The temp tag was installed, and we were on our way home. Like many of you, I had heard the horror stories and was concerned.That said, I couldn't have asked for a better experience. No pressure, kept thier word and were actually very professional and personable. If I ever decide to trade the TRX and buy again they will be one of the first I check.

This thread is making me feel a lot better as I anticipate my pickup day from Koons, hopefully sometime in the 23 calendar year…

This thread is making me feel a lot better as I anticipate my pickup day from Koons, hopefully sometime in the 23 calendar year…
The next wave of us picking up "soon" can add to the data as well, but I'm with you--seems like things have potentially improved a bit.

Like you, I was very concerned after placing my order and then reading some reviews. In all honesty I go into any car buying situation prepared for a fight. I hate dealers. That said it was one of the bedt experiences I have had in 40 years. Granted mine was very easy without a trade in and cash in hand but I have no reason to believe it would dramatically change even with a trade or financing.

Like you, I was very concerned after placing my order and then reading some reviews. In all honesty I go into any car buying situation prepared for a fight. I hate dealers. That said it was one of the bedt experiences I have had in 40 years. Granted mine was very easy without a trade in and cash in hand but I have no reason to believe it would dramatically change even with a trade or financing.
I too am going without a trade, with financing already done. This thread has convinced me to not care about the credit pull. Thanks again for sharing your experience.

I too am going without a trade, with financing already done. This thread has convinced me to not care about the credit pull. Thanks again for sharing your experience.
I should have e mentioned that.My wife is a claims manager with an insurance company. When I originally told her about it and I wasn't happy she said in these times its normal due to the widespread fraud even in her industry. So for me it wasn't a big deal

Can anyone tell me how long it took you guys to finish at koons? My truck is coming next month and I want to see if there's any chance of me going to udvar hazy. Its a 7 hour round trip from my house using amtrak to go and TRX to come back

Can anyone tell me how long it took you guys to finish at koons? My truck is coming next month and I want to see if there's any chance of me going to udvar hazy. Its a 7 hour round trip from my house using amtrak to go and TRX to come back
I showed up yesterday about 1045am left about 1245pm. I would guess it varies depending on trade or not and financing or not.

I showed up yesterday about 1045am left about 1245pm. I would guess it varies depending on trade or not and financing or not.
Thanks! No trade in but I'll need financing, But I can bring cash as well.

2 hour 10 mins. I had a Saturday morning apt. Not sure if that made it worse or that’s just their average time.

Back