Koons buying/ delivery experience... a live thread of the experience

rugbym8t

TRX Fanatic
Reaction score
Current Ride
2022 TRX Billet Silver Lvl 2
Current Ride #2
Tesla Model X Plaid
So my truck has landed at Koons and for the months I have been waiting for it, I have been trying to find information about other experiences at Koons. So this will be my own thread chronicling my experience with the process in real time, in the event that it's helpful for someone else. I found a lot of information either buried in other thread on other topics, or experiences summed up as "they were great" or "worst experience ever", so I am hoping to share some of the nuance for others to prepare.

I have read all the reviews I can find and of all the discount dealers, Koons seems to be one associated with the most negative traditional car dealer antics (finance/ credit antics, high pressure sales of add ons, lack of post sale support). I didn't realize this until after I placed my order, so now we will see what my personal experience is like.

Here is the background on my purchase. I have a trade in the deal. I do plan to finance, but have secured options with both credit unions and traditional banks. This is not the most expensive car I have purchased before and I have purchased other vehicles this year. I am a car fanatic. So I been around the block, but I grow tired of dealer shenanigans. I like clean efficient car purchases. This is my first FCA vehicle, so Koons will be my first dealer experience in this brand.

Placing my order and paying the deposit was an incredibly smooth and responsive experience. Checking in and getting order updates and such were always within a day and responsive. Definitely no complaints at all on the ordering and tracking process! The Koons team were great in this part of the process.

Today I got the form email that my truck had arrived and to respond with some potential dates for pick up and insurance information. It had some clear misses with information meant to be filled in but it wasn't. This is definitely a volume thing, so doesn't bother me. But I do love the line included "You will be financing with us, correct?". A foreshadow of drama to come?

I informed them of my desired dates, and the desire to use one of my traditional bank approvals as I know they would get a hold back with that options vs my credit union. This is so it's a win win for both of us. I was clear that was the reason why I was doing it. Thus far they seem very amenable to this approach. There was no drama about those details and that was a relief.

They ARE still emphatic that I still have to do their credit app to "pull up my approval" with my bank, but I know that's not the case... sigh. The bank even explicitly states not to submit a new app, otherwise it can delay or affect processing and result in another inquiry. I used the same bank on other purchases this year and it was an easy sign and drive experience, no credit app at the dealer, nothing but my license and the letter from the bank. I wish they would just be transparent, "hey it helps us if we can submit a credit app with each sale to FCA..." or whatever their reason is. It's just off putting to be fed information you know isnt correct. I have let it go for now, as another volume thing. The person I am speaking with may not be knowledgeable on this specific bank, etc. I told them if they require the app as part of their regulatory process then I am fine with a single inquiry, but not to submit as a new app to my selected lender.

For those that have done their app, did you do it before going to the dealer or once there? Did you get hit with multiple inquiries?

Now I am awaiting trade value information. Hoping for no drama there. Big picture, this first step in the process is going fine, with some of the horror stories, I think I have my guard up a bit. I am hoping it's not warranted.

More to come...

Last edited:

Farva5803

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 Ford Raptor
Military
USMC
I just placed my order for a 2023 earlier this month. The two group buy emails are handled by multiple people I think. I live near Koons, so I went in person to sign the paperwork and went with Brian. He seemed cool, but prior to that they lowballed the hell out of me with my trade (2021 Raptor). Pretty disappointed in the generic copy/paste jobs via email when I was questioning their initial offer. I was also told that if I plan to pay the post trade balance with cash, they would have to pull my credit lol. Not as frequent of a car buyer as you, but I definitely called bullshit.

DIN0ZR

TRX Junkie
Gallery
Reaction score
Military
USMC
I am also buying with Koons. Truck is in shipping. I recently broached valuing my trade-in and I didn't have the horror story that many do. I think it's because I anticipated a low-ball, so I did everything I could to prevent it. I cleaned up my trade, even though I know dealers don't care much about cleanliness in valuing trades. I took about 20 detailed pictures. Under hood. Inside bed. Every door panel. Pic of both keys. Pic of window sticker. Pic of last oil change sticker. And then I included in the email two competitive quotes from Carvana and GivemetheVIN. Carvana and GivemetheVIN quoted $56,000 and $56,650. Koons came back with $56,000. I was pleasantly surprised by that, as there's a distinct convenience difference of being able to trade directly to them.

So like you, I haven't completed the process. But so far it's not a horror story.

Now getting them to sell me Mopar power running boards and install upon delivery, that has actually been tough. I do not know why. Don't dealers love to sell you parts and labor???

OP
OP
R

rugbym8t

TRX Fanatic
Reaction score
Current Ride
Current Ride #2
Tesla Model X Plaid
I was pleasantly surprised by that, as there's a distinct convenience difference of being able to trade directly to them.

So like you, I haven't completed the process. But so far it's not a horror story.

Now getting them to sell me Mopar power running boards and install upon delivery, that has actually been tough. I do not know why. Don't dealers love to sell you parts and labor???

Yeah I was interested in the steps as well, and I was told to contact the parts department, and they can figure it out with me. Felt like too much work, so I just left it be. I will get it handled separately. Another thing, I figured was related to them being a volume dealer. But yeah, feels like there should be a list of options they would be willing to do to your truck. I get that maybe they dont want to get hosed if someone selects all these options and then doesn't pick up the truck, but there are ways around that too. But it definitely felt to me that they didn't want to be bothered with it in the purchase process.

All good on this one for me, because they were pretty direct about it.

OP
OP
R

rugbym8t

TRX Fanatic
Reaction score
Current Ride
Current Ride #2
Tesla Model X Plaid
I just placed my order for a 2023 earlier this month. The two group buy emails are handled by multiple people I think. I live near Koons, so I went in person to sign the paperwork and went with Brian. He seemed cool, but prior to that they lowballed the hell out of me with my trade (2021 Raptor). Pretty disappointed in the generic copy/paste jobs via email when I was questioning their initial offer. I was also told that if I plan to pay the post trade balance with cash, they would have to pull my credit lol. Not as frequent of a car buyer as you, but I definitely called bullshit.

There are some legit reasons to have to verify your identity if you are a cash buyer (to confirm you aren't on an OFAC list, you are who you say you are, KYC, etc.) But there are systems in place to do this without a credit inquiry. They may use credit report information, but not actually post as an inquiry on your consumer report. For some reason, they really really want to run credit. I think in the order process if they were super clear on this "No matter how you pay, we must run your credit, and perform an inquiry on your credit report, to purchase from us" it would be far less annoying, even if they don't want to be transparent as to why.

DIN0ZR

TRX Junkie
Gallery
Reaction score
Military
USMC
There are some legit reasons to have to verify your identity if you are a cash buyer (to confirm you aren't on an OFAC list, you are who you say you are, KYC, etc.) But there are systems in place to do this without a credit inquiry. They may use credit report information, but not actually post as an inquiry on your consumer report. For some reason, they really really want to run credit. I think in the order process if they were super clear on this "No matter how you pay, we must run your credit, and perform an inquiry on your credit report, to purchase from us" it would be far less annoying, even if they don't want to be transparent as to why.
This doesn't bother me as much as it does most people, apparently. I also am bringing my own financing--straight up giving them a check. But if they need to run my credit to complete the purchase, I really don't care. Is it going to knock my score down 5-10 points? Honestly, that just doesn't bother me. My score will still be in the range where I get the best financing rates available, and whatever hit my score takes, it will more than recover over the time between this truck and my next purchase.

FWRN

TRX Member
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
RAM TRX - Level 2
I also ordered and picked up from Koons my TRX recently. Ordering and waiting for the truck was a good experience. They were very responsive. I had brought up the red flags around the financing.

I setup financing with Chase by myself at a better rate. Koons still demanded that I run my credit with them. I said I didn't want to. I almost decided to walkaway.

From what I understand, there is a requirement for all dealers to do an OFAC check and the fastest/easiest way to do it for them is through a credit check. You can ask them not not submit your application to anywhere else if you'd like. Koons also might have some requirements on why they want to run your credit with their preferred lenders which could be part of the reason why they provide a nice price.

My trade in was valued $5k lower than KBB. CarMax had a similar price they would buy it for. They listed my trade-in for $7k higher than what they valued/bought it for.

I ended up just taking the offer they gave me and will be refinancing later. They ran my credit with PNC and Chase. 800+ credit score, was given 7% APR through PNC, 6% through Chase. I was in and out of the doors in under two hours.

Last edited:

Claasicdrive

TRX Maniac
Gallery
Reaction score
From what I understand, there is a requirement for all dealers to do an OFAC check and the fastest/easiest way to do it for them is through a credit check.
lol no..i purchased from all of them ( Granger, Chapman, Mark in Louisiana, Dan Cummins, Koons and a couple of out of town dealers not listed on the forum) and koons was the only one pulling this. Dan Cummins tried but a "no" sufficed. With koons they started treating me that i have to wait 3 days in VA for my Cashier Check to clear if i dont want a credit check. I doubled down and I slowly pulled out my phone while saying " let me call my wife and let her know I'll be here 3 more days". 5 min later all papers were signed...

@JC

TRX Addict
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2022 Ram TRX - Granite Crystal Metallic
Current Ride #2
2022 Jeep 392 - Granite Crystal Metallic
Just let them know you'll be spending all 3 days sitting in the F&I guy's office and expect meals and a cot while you wait. What a bunch of clowns. 🤡

OP
OP
R

rugbym8t

TRX Fanatic
Reaction score
Current Ride
Current Ride #2
Tesla Model X Plaid
Just let them know you'll be spending all 3 days sitting in the F&I guy's office and expect meals and a cot while you wait. What a bunch of clowns. 🤡

Haha. Well I got my trade numbers, and they are CRAZY low. So the dance begins. I was trying to be a good partner by using bank that would give them a hold back vs my credit union where they would get none, trying to be fair in the deal, and they are pulling the classic trade shenanigans. More to come, but the trade experience thus far sucks.

Claasicdrive

TRX Maniac
Gallery
Reaction score
Haha. Well I got my trade numbers, and they are CRAZY low. So the dance begins. I was trying to be a good partner by using bank that would give them a hold back vs my credit union where they would get none, trying to be fair in the deal, and they are pulling the classic trade shenanigans. More to come, but the trade experience thus far sucks.
it's the market..mainheim is down on every car besides Wrangler, broncos and that's about it

OP
OP
R

rugbym8t

TRX Fanatic
Reaction score
Current Ride
Current Ride #2
Tesla Model X Plaid
it's the market..mainheim is down on every car besides Wrangler, broncos and that's about it
Yeah the softness is real, but they are like $7k below Carmax, Carvana, and Givemethevin.

OP
OP
R

rugbym8t

TRX Fanatic
Reaction score
Current Ride
Current Ride #2
Tesla Model X Plaid
I also ordered and picked up from Koons my TRX recently. Ordering and waiting for the truck was a good experience. They were very responsive. I had brought up the red flags around the financing.

I setup financing with Chase by myself at a better rate. Koons still demanded that I run my credit with them. I said I didn't want to. I almost decided to walkaway.

From what I understand, there is a requirement for all dealers to do an OFAC check and the fastest/easiest way to do it for them is through a credit check. You can ask them not not submit your application to anywhere else if you'd like. Koons also might have some requirements on why they want to run your credit with their preferred lenders which could be part of the reason why they provide a nice price.

My trade in was valued $5k lower than KBB. CarMax had a similar price they would buy it for. They listed my trade-in for $7k higher than what they valued/bought it for.

I ended up just taking the offer they gave me and will be refinancing later. They ran my credit with PNC and Chase. 800+ credit score, was given 7% APR through PNC, 6% through Chase. I was in and out of the doors in under two hours.

Yeah the identity confirmation use of the credit check is valid, but that doesn't result in an inquiry. They should just be up front about it in the order process, and I don't think it would be an issue.

Lawd those interest rates are high! Were you just tired of the process, and wanted it over? I been there before. ha. Check out Fedchoice when you go to refinance, they gave me 2.75% for 72 months last week.

beerformeplz

TRX Fan
Gallery
Reaction score

Jesus, 6-7% is insane on that $ amount. When my truck was delivered in December I already had a check from my CU for 2.25% and when Koons told me they had to run my credit I wasnt happy but for 10k off I sucked it up. Come to find out they beat my CU and got me 1.74% through NWFCU. As for trade I took in carmax and carvanas offer and they matched it with no issues. Id buy from them any time

OP
OP
R

rugbym8t

TRX Fanatic
Reaction score
Current Ride
Current Ride #2
Tesla Model X Plaid
So here is the latest update. I sent over my final offer on my trade, and the scenarios I was willing to do, and they called me and agreed to my numbers (value went up several K)! I am pretty pleased with that, and it seems the tone of the conversation is much chiller and less adversarial now. I wonder if they are reading this thread :).

I had to push my pick up to next Sunday due to work stepping in this weekend, so now the wait continues again. But back up to good vibes with the team at Koons.

OP
OP
R

rugbym8t

TRX Fanatic
Reaction score
Current Ride
Current Ride #2
Tesla Model X Plaid
Tomorrow is pick up day! Finishing the drive in the AM direct to Koons to drop off the trade and pick up the new truck. Hoping all stays smooth. Will update as it plays out.

DIN0ZR

TRX Junkie
Gallery
Reaction score
Military
USMC
Tomorrow is pick up day! Finishing the drive in the AM direct to Koons to drop off the trade and pick up the new truck. Hoping all stays smooth. Will update as it plays out.
Best of luck! If schedules hold, I'm probably two weeks behind you. Please let us all know any tips you uncover.

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Sam Leman Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM Morton Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM EBC Brakes StopwatchUSA.com DanCumminsCDJR.com OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com airRyd auto shipping