Just found a potential winter tire option for our trucks...

I’m in Anchorage. The stock tires are pretty damn good in the snow/ice. Better than the 19’ Rebel I had
I'm in PA and drove around in 4" of wet snow and these stock tires did very well. I agree with you, theyre pretty damn good! I don't know why anyone would get another tire if snow is the main traction concern.

Been running around all week with 2 feet of fresh snow here in the CO mountains. I'm happy with the traction of the factory tires on snow and ice. Way better than my experience with KO2's.

Been running around all week with 2 feet of fresh snow here in the CO mountains. I'm happy with the traction of the factory tires on snow and ice. Way better than my experience with KO2's.
I had the KO2's as well on my last truck and I agree with that sentiment

I had the KO2's as well on my last truck and I agree with that sentiment
I think this pretty much validates the stock tires are pretty bad-ass in the snow...Not sure if this guy's a member here, but here's his video... (Ignore the Chevy lol...JK)

Im more worried about 2” of packed snow on a 18* night on a pretty busy road. Not 18” of powder. Snow tires are way better in packed snow with all the sipes

I think this pretty much validates the stock tires are pretty bad-ass in the snow...Not sure if this guy's a member here, but here's his video... (Ignore the Chevy lol...JK)

Looks like stockers will get it done! Cool video. We sold my Wife's 20' ZR2 Diesel and she ordered her TRX. Loved the look of the truck but couldn't get comfortable with it as a daily having been in Rams since 1997.

I have not had good experience with Goodyears through the years but my intention is not to automatically swap these out when I get my truck. My thinking is this... almost every inch of this truck was built with functionality in mind and since the Territory tires were specially customized and "tuned" for this truck, I intend to give the tires every benefit of the doubt and hold off on trashing them until we get negative information or feedback on them. If you look around the forum, there are not a lot of verifiable concerns with the tires as of yet.

😂The trails they travel to, are what the highways look like in AK when it snows. Look at the beginning of the video he’s driving on pavement. My point is if you drive in real winter conditions for an extended length, the stock tires are not enough. For light winter travel with decent roads they are ok. Messing around on snowy trails they are fine. But if you are doing a couple hundred miles with bad roads you want studs or winter specific rubber. I had the stock tires studded they opted to do double rows on the outsides and inside of the tire. It has made a world of difference for snow and ice highway travel it’s like a cat on carpet. Remember these trucks are heavy and under all that snow is icy shit, studs are money.

Attachments

• D7D381E4-A7E4-4E74-BE1E-DF514BCC6B83.jpeg
    D7D381E4-A7E4-4E74-BE1E-DF514BCC6B83.jpeg
    264.5 KB · Views: 48
I think, well know, the OEM tires in the rain are horrible at hydroplaning, so I'm not super confident they will be snow heros. You cannot fake hydroplaning or make it up...it either happens or does not, and with the Wide Lugs, these tires do. For that reason I would think they slide on snow/ice, and like someone else above said, I'm definitely more concerned with 2-6" of snow, or a few inches of snow on top of ice, than I am with blasting a 702 HP Truck through 12-18" of powder off road where the only thing I need to worry about is getting stuck or hitting a surprise like the Chevy did. I'm not sold on the OEM tires for snow...but trying to find a T Rated 18" or 20" Tire that's snow dedicated that's at least 33.5" tall is proving impossible...unless I'm missing something.

And I don't want to get an S Rated tire with super wobbly side walls as the truck will handle like junk whenever it's not snowing, etc.

PITA search for sure.

Driven on some snow and packed snow / ice covered roads the last two weeks with the factory tires with the truck in snow mode and they performed fine… no issues.

HI, Any feedback on the tires yet? I saw them for sale at Grizzly Truck (https://grizzlytrucks.ca/tire/12836?name=venom-ice-hunter)...just not a lot of feedback on them... I am also considering Nokian Hakkapeliitta L:T3 with 275/70/18 which is a 33" tire. Or maybe upsizing to 20" with 275-65/20 which is a 34" tire.
I got the nokian lt3 in 275/65/20 im finally putting them on sat or sunday. Finally getting our first snow. Expecting 8-9”. Ill report back about the driving experience

I got the nokian lt3 in 275/65/20 im finally putting them on sat or sunday. Finally getting our first snow. Expecting 8-9”. Ill report back about the driving experience
Please Post Pics from all angles when you get installed b/c that's the most common 20'' wheel tire combo, and it's 33" vs. 34.4" OEM. Nokians are snow beast so I'm not worried about that part, but I believe those are only S Rated for speed which is 99 MPH, so I'm worried about a wobbly side wall that handles like garbage around corners or in quick lane change situations...

Please Post Pics from all angles when you get installed b/c that's the most common 20'' wheel tire combo, and it's 33" vs. 34.4" OEM. Nokians are snow beast so I'm not worried about that part, but I believe those are only S Rated for speed which is 99 MPH, so I'm worried about a wobbly side wall that handles like garbage around corners or in quick lane change situations...
Yes, please do.

Now my dealer is now recommending STUDDED Wrangler Duratracs 325/65/18...He says I'll be unstoppable!

Also, I was quoted CAD$340 per wheel for the OEM beadlock rims...I'll go for those over the KMC's I was thinkling of...I'll swap out OEM tires ot the OEM beadlocks and run the Ignition Edition wheels in the winter...

/So, if I go this way, A winter tire on 18 is a 33" either 275/70/18 Blizzak LT or Hakkappelitta LT3....Unless I get feedback on the Venom Icehunter chinese tires...which I'm leery of running...

decisions...decisions....

Now my dealer is now recommending STUDDED Wrangler Duratracs 325/65/18...He says I'll be unstoppable!
I wouldn't call that an advantage.
Acceleration is good, being able to corner is good, but being able to stop is priceless.

Sooo... I ended up going with 275/65/20 Nokian Hakkapellitta LT3's NON-Studded (but can still be studded at a later date if I so choose). I went with the Fuel Rebel 20x9" wheel. Black Gloss...Was thinking Bronze or gun metal...But I figured with the IE Orannge, Black is best choice.

I will post pics whern I get delivery of the truck...

Last edited:
Well up here in North Pole we have "at least this year" ice packed roads for months. So I went with Vossen 20x9.5 rims and Hakkapelta lt275/65/20 with studs. I can tell you it is a world of difference on icy roads from the stock tires. I will admit though most places in the country my route is most likely not necessary. Happy trails whichever way you choose
I included pictures so you can get a visual and also just to post pictures ;). They are smaller tires than stock but I think they look fine and protect my investment. :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_1925.jpeg
    IMG_1925.jpeg
    371.2 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1958.jpeg
    IMG_1958.jpeg
    271.1 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1957.jpeg
    IMG_1957.jpeg
    224.9 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1926.jpeg
    IMG_1926.jpeg