Just found a potential winter tire option for our trucks...

AlaskanTRX

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2022 TRX
Anyone ever hear of Arctic Claw or their WXI tires? I am a bit hesitant to run a "C list" brand, but they are the only true winter tire I've found in 35s. Open to any other suggestions as well!

I got Toyo A/T IIIs, in 295/70R18, largely because they should work well on snow and ice.

We may have some snow in the hills after today, but so far I only know that those tires really helped with lateral stability. Which is probably mostly because they're a much better match for the narrow OE wheels.

Anyone ever hear of Arctic Claw or their WXI tires? I am a bit hesitant to run a "C list" brand, but they are the only true winter tire I've found in 35s. Open to any other suggestions as well!
How about the studded wrangler dura trac

Following. Gotta drive my TRX from Fairbanks to Anchorage after delivery. Most likely will be winter. My plan is to buy the tires have them delivered to the dealership and have them mounted. Preferably want studs.

The tires that are standard are not good in snow?
This guy in the video seems to like the stock tires on snow and they may be fine for most people for regular winter driving. I do a lot of night time winter driving in BFE Alaska so the stock tires won’t work for me it looks like.

Following. Gotta drive my TRX from Fairbanks to Anchorage after delivery. Most likely will be winter. My plan is to buy the tires have them delivered to the dealership and have them mounted. Preferably want studs.
Too funny, Fairbanks local here. I am coming from a Raptor with Nokian Hakka LT3s, but unfortunately they only make the 35s in a 17 inch rim. I have gone as far as debating swapping on a smaller disk/rotor setup up front just so I can run my Nokians again... We will see what ends up being a good option.

Deep snow....studs shouldn't matter.
You go til you get hung up with a 4x4. Once you're hung up...chains...studs...won't help.

Ice/compacted snow...I would think studded duratracs would kick ass.

im gonna look at sidewall in the morning, but are these not 3 peak winter rated or whatever like the ko2?

Deep snow....studs shouldn't matter.
You go til you get hung up with a 4x4. Once you're hung up...chains...studs...won't help.

Ice/compacted snow...I would think studded duratracs would kick ass.
Not so much the studs, but the lug design that helps in deep snow.

To be fair its more of a problem for those of us in extreme climates, but at -20/30 Duratracs (and most other tires) get hard and struggle to find grip like a single purpose compound can. The real issue is the rubber compound and the design of the tread. The larger blocks and lesser siping just can't compare to a dedicated winter setup on the really slick stuff.

I have been very happy with the stock tires snow and ice performance. This will be the first time I don’t need winter tires here in Wyoming (y)

Happy to hear the stockers do pretty well. I Had a set of blizzaks on replica SRT wheels for my jeep, absolute animal in the snow! It will be nice not to swap tires dec1 though!!

I'm in about as extreme as it gets.

This year....
15 days above 100 F
46 days above 90 F

We see plenty of -30 F and colder every winter.

Record low here -60
Record high 121
That's not a whole lot more "tropical" than where I am... What part of country?

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers
Back