techguy926

TRX Member
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
TRX
Current Ride #2
Range Rover
I've actually already posted this in reply on another threat but wanted to post alone so people wouldn't have to dig into multiple pages to find it. I installed the JL Audio Stealthbox with 2 - 10" (Part # SB-D-5GRAMCCR/10TW3) in my TRX. I ordered the parts from Crutchfield and spent around $1900. List of parts I ordered below. I went with the JL Audio XD600/1 amp because you can purchase adapters to tap the speakers without the need for Line Output Converter since its basically built into the amp. Also, it uses the taps to signal the amp to turn on so no need to run an additional cable to fuse box or amp under the drivers seat.

For install be ready for some work, you have to remove the rear seats completely to mount the box. Running power cable through firewall by the neutral release pull and down the drivers side under the trim is fairly easy. I used a ground bolt in the middle rear area that was already there along with disconnecting the factor sub and using that as my speaker tap.

All in all I'm very happy and the bass is amazing but the ANC (Auto Noise Cancellation) mics do NOT play well with aftermarket subs. I get humming and some issues with the ANC system trying to filter in white noise to make the cabin quieter. There are companies out there that make bypasses for the ANC system that are plug in play like this one:

https://lljcustoms.com/store/ols/products/2019-ram-anc-bypass

Which I'm currently waiting for mine to arrive and hopefully that will take away that problem and everything will be perfect!

JL Audio Stealthbox - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13694677/JL-Audio-Stealthbox-Black.html
JL Audio XD600/1 Amp - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13698604/JL-Audio-XD600-1v2.html
JL Audio RCA/Speaker Taps - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_136XDCLR2S/JL-Audio-XD-CLRAIC2-SW.html
*Note - you only need to use one if tapping the sub and use the Left channel on the amp or use a Y RCA splitter to plug into both for the amp. Comes straight from the JL Audio amp user guide.

Outside of the list above, just need a 4 ga wiring kit, RCA cable, RCA Y splitter cable and some time. Took about 6-8 hours.

Attachments

• IMG_2014.jpg
    IMG_2014.jpg
    465.8 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_2015.jpg
    IMG_2015.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 375
Great info! Okay.... Tell me more about the feedback you're getting? I must not understand the auto noise cancelling system built into the truck. You're getting humming through the subs?

Nice looking install by the way!

J

Yeah
Great info! Okay.... Tell me more about the feedback you're getting? I must not understand the auto noise cancelling system built into the truck. You're getting humming through the subs?

Nice looking install by the way!

J
Yeah, at startup there is an audible hum in the subs sounding in sync with the exhaust almost. Thats the most annoying one, other than that there can be distortion from the ANC trying to compensate because it hears so much bass and tries to compensate for that also. I have the JL Bass Boost control knob too so I can alleviate that but gets annoying messing with so often.

Are you sure it's not feedback from the grounding of your amp? I don't mean to second guess you, just curious if you have a feedback loop. I wasn't sure from your description of the install if you had the shortest possible ground and directly to the chassis.

J

Are you sure it's not feedback from the grounding of your amp? I don't mean to second guess you, just curious if you have a feedback loop. I wasn't sure from your description of the install if you had the shortest possible ground and directly to the chassis.

J
Honestly it is possible, I'm using a ground on a bolt that was used by another ground in the rear. I'll have to take a look and see if I can try another source for the ground. It was easiest because it right by the back of the seats and amp.

The ANC system is your issue. I've had 2 trucks with it, and subs.....get the bypass for it and you'll be set.

So that entire underseat enclosure is the sub box?

thats pretty clean if so, just needs a shroud over that amp that still allows airflow.

Looks great, that will be one of my 1st upgrades when I finally get my truck...been waiting over 6 months at this point...

@techguy926 I'm eagerly awaiting to hear whether or not the ANC bypass resolves your issue.

Did y'all see my note about removing the #1 and #6 pin out of the wiring harness to cancel the factory mics?

I think it's on my truck thread but can't remember. I'll get deets and post them again.

J

I've actually already posted this in reply on another threat but wanted to post alone so people wouldn't have to dig into multiple pages to find it. I installed the JL Audio Stealthbox with 2 - 10" (Part # SB-D-5GRAMCCR/10TW3) in my TRX. I ordered the parts from Crutchfield and spent around $1900. List of parts I ordered below. I went with the JL Audio XD600/1 amp because you can purchase adapters to tap the speakers without the need for Line Output Converter since its basically built into the amp. Also, it uses the taps to signal the amp to turn on so no need to run an additional cable to fuse box or amp under the drivers seat.

For install be ready for some work, you have to remove the rear seats completely to mount the box. Running power cable through firewall by the neutral release pull and down the drivers side under the trim is fairly easy. I used a ground bolt in the middle rear area that was already there along with disconnecting the factor sub and using that as my speaker tap.

All in all I'm very happy and the bass is amazing but the ANC (Auto Noise Cancellation) mics do NOT play well with aftermarket subs. I get humming and some issues with the ANC system trying to filter in white noise to make the cabin quieter. There are companies out there that make bypasses for the ANC system that are plug in play like this one:

https://lljcustoms.com/store/ols/products/2019-ram-anc-bypass

Which I'm currently waiting for mine to arrive and hopefully that will take away that problem and everything will be perfect!

JL Audio Stealthbox - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13694677/JL-Audio-Stealthbox-Black.html
JL Audio XD600/1 Amp - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13698604/JL-Audio-XD600-1v2.html
JL Audio RCA/Speaker Taps - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_136XDCLR2S/JL-Audio-XD-CLRAIC2-SW.html
*Note - you only need to use one if tapping the sub and use the Left channel on the amp or use a Y RCA splitter to plug into both for the amp. Comes straight from the JL Audio amp user guide.

Outside of the list above, just need a 4 ga wiring kit, RCA cable, RCA Y splitter cable and some time. Took about 6-8 hours.
Thanks for posting this!

@techguy926 I'm eagerly awaiting to hear whether or not the ANC bypass resolves your issue.
The bypass I ordered did work and does take out the sub drone at startup and while on the highway from the ANC mics. I'm still having a few issues but thinking I just need to toggle a few things but overall its great!

The bypass I ordered did work and does take out the sub drone at startup and while on the highway from the ANC mics. I'm still having a few issues but thinking I just need to toggle a few things but overall its great!
Thanks for the update. What issues are you still having? Once somebody's confirmed an issue-free solution I'll pull the trigger.

Did y'all see my note about removing the #1 and #6 pin out of the wiring harness to cancel the factory mics?

I think it's on my truck thread but can't remember. I'll get deets and post them again.

J
So does removing the factory mics disable the hands free calling from the uconnect?

Thanks for the update. What issues are you still having? Once somebody's confirmed an issue-free solution I'll pull the trigger.
I think it has more to do with the quality of the LineOut Converter built into JL's amps...its just some subtle issues like sub popping a bit when turning the volume up quickly and its catching some bass on highs when it shouldn't but its very minimal but overall the system is great.

Did you reground the amp to the frame of the truck? I’ve never had issue with the JL audio step downs so I’ll be surprised if that is your issue. There’s something else going on in my opinion.
Do you have a flat signal leaving the head unit? Your factory speakers should be able to play that without clipping.

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com
Back