Insurance quote has doubled since December 02,2020

So I had to do a similar system when I switched to Progressive 2 years ago. It was one of the chips that plugs into the OBD port and reports back to the company, I believe thru my Progressive app. I had to use it for the full year before I could unplug it. Unplugging it could cause any discounts to be void because it would look like you are intentionally trying to cover up something. I could see my driving habits in almost real time on the app... at least within an hour or so of driving in the worst case that I can remember.

Now, this was in my Raptor, and thankfully I didn't do anything hard core for that year. Here's what I noticed though: made me start running yellow lights because stopping the moment the light turned yellow might give me a "hard stop" on my account (affecting my discount). It would give some kind of beep from the device when a "hard stop" was detected. I finally decided, well I might as well start running through those yellows so I don't get any more hits on my discount. Didn't see any issues with quick starts or hammering the gas (but I suspect different companies have different rules they apply to driving habits).

In the end, I think I got something like a 15% discount... I don't know what the maximum was that I could get. I also don't know how many "hard stops" drop you to the next percentage... that information was near impossible to find from what I could tell.

Here is what concerns me if I have to go back through this with the TRX... those "hard stops" are really hard to avoid in a large/heavy truck. It uses some formula that if you decrease your speed by more than 10mph per second (that may be off a little), it is considered a "hard stop". Also, what happens if I'm off-roading? I can guarantee that I'd be hammering the brakes here and there in that situation.

I'm just hoping I don't have to do this all over for a new vehicle.
ODB port makes much more sense for tracking a specific vehicle. He didn't mention anything about ODB, he said it was strictrly through the app, which is not impossible, I suppose, as fitness tracking software can detect subtle differences in change of motion. But, it wouldn't know the vehicle you're in (unless you manually enter that information, in which case, they may as well just take your word for it that you're a great driver and give you the discount without question. lol). The other thing is, this vehicle is a performance vehicle designed to handle harsh environments. So, if you're exercising that privilege in a controlled environment, you should not be penalized for hard brake applications and acceleration. You should be able to report that you're not on a city street. (just my initial thoughts).
Six months is not too bad, expecially in this inclement weather. However, two years is a long sacrifice! I do not believe that I would have the discipline to drive this TRX just as my Grandfather drives his vehicle to Sunday mass. That would be penance in and of itself.

Maybe after you get “IT” out of your system you can try next year. Me personally no way in hell would I trust an Insurance Co with my driving habits... they would take my car away from me immediately... plus they say your driving habits won’t be shared..Haha... and the they say you won’t get dinged if you fail... yeah not till a year or two later and then..... OUCH 😣

I can sell this with a couple of companies.

it generally monitors three or four things:
1) when you are driving and how far each trip is
2) how liberal you are with the gas and break (HARD on either). Meaning you're gunning it, or always following too close)
3) if you get EXCESSIVELY speeding (since its GPS tracked)

they like people that don't drive during normal rush hours, or late late at night. They want you to be super easy on the peddles, and obviously don't want you speeding.

of the 3 companies I represent that do this. 2 of them offer immediate 10% discounts, and you can earn up to 30% after 6 months of monitoring. One is just flat 15% immedately. 2 can take away your discount completely, and 1 will ADD A 10% surcharge if you're an absolute shit driver.

This is only really good for people with something that is going to sit in the garage 75% of the time. I've RARELY seen someone get a discount in their daily driver more than the 10%, usually less.
What you offer, is it ODB based or just app based?

Maybe after you get “IT” out of your system you can try next year. Me personally no way in hell would I trust an Insurance Co with my driving habits... they would take my car away from me immediately... plus they say your driving habits won’t be shared..Haha... and the they say you won’t get dinged if you fail... yeah not till a year or two later and then..... OUCH 😣
Like I said, I'm going to read through the T&C's with a fine tooth comb. I won't be signing up unless I feel comfortable. Like yourself, I'm skeptical, but until I fully understand it, I'll go in with an open mind.

either/or. Depends on the company, but most have both available now-a-days
Hey Nateshift thanks for sharing, you are giving honest and realistic info for all of us to consider. Cheers

either/or. Depends on the company, but most have both available now-a-days
Good to know.
That's assuring that my rep was referencing the right product. Without knowing much, there would seem to be more flexibility with the app based version. It's not married to the vehicle. I mainly communicate with my work vehicle, so, it wouldn't be difficult for me to drive conservatively, as I normally do anyway, and still log that driving data. Just have to keep my phone away from the TRX.

That was the first thing that I had asked, if they could suspend my policy, as I was under the impression that it could be suspended. The answer was, NO.
Damn, I guess there is just one rout to take for you then :(

This is not something that I can do, in any of the states I represent. Sounds super specific to a small population.
Maybe its company based. State farm is basically local insurance company using the name.

What’s that? Buy a Prius🤣🤣🤣
Haha na. He will just have to take the L.
Maybe there are other routs. Can get a junker and transfer policy then transfer again when the truck comes in. Or risk running the same policy on a car he doesnt have any more.

Never buy a prius tho. That would probably get your membership revoked 😂😂

Haha na. He will just have to take the L.
Maybe there are other routs. Can get a junker and transfer policy then transfer again when the truck comes in. Or risk running the same policy on a car he doesnt have any more.

Never buy a prius tho. That would probably get your membership revoked 😂😂
I never said how I made out in the end. I was just being very specific to that question, regarding suspending of my insurance.

What I did to preserve/secure my insurance rate, I took on a new policy for my boat, for a total of 4 policies (Home, ATV, Auto and Marine) Their customer loyalty program Indicates that, so long as I have three or more insurable assets with them, then they'll honor the rates for any additional policies.

I never said how I made out in the end. I was just being very specific to that question, regarding suspending of my insurance.

What I did to preserve/secure my insurance rate, I took on a new policy for my boat, for a total of 4 policies (Home, ATV, Auto and Marine) Their customer loyalty program Indicates that, so long as I have three or more insurable assets with them, then they'll honor the rates for any additional policies.
Thats a wonderful solution, Congrats.

Thats a wonderful solution, Congrats.
There's usually more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak. Sometimes you just have to ask the right questions, as more often than not, no one volunteers the information.

Every couple of years I do a price check, but in 20 years of being with this company, no other has ever given me a better price.

I started with them when I was twenty. At the time, because of my age, I was considered high risk. I'll never forget, they quoted me at $2,200.00, and the next best price to that was over 4k and went all the way up to 6k.

Twenty years later and they still have the best price. At least in my experience.

For insurance rate discussion, I just ordered my TRX yesterday and traded in my 2018 Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins which stickered at $70,800. I asked them to quote the TRX on my existing Progressive policy and gave them a TRX vin# so they could run it. Quote came back at $916 for the year, which is $120 cheaper than my 2500 was. I still have 4 other vehicles on the policy until I take delivery in 8-12 weeks. 45 years old, married, clean record.

9F78E296-5870-4629-9125-9416293B0060.png

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers
Back