If You've Had a Worse Ownership Experience ... I'll Buy You a Beer....

NDirish1842

TRX Member
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2020 Supra; 2019 Wrangler Rubicon;
Current Ride #2
BMW R1250GS; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon
I took delivery of a TRX on Friday, March 19th in central IL ... enjoyed 2 days / 273 miles ... and have not seen the vehicle since. It sat at a detailer for PPF and ceramic coating for a week but at time of pick-up on March 26th had thrown a drivetrain error code and remained in limp mode .... without easy resolution. Ziegler Ram in Downers Grove, IL has had the truck for 37 days. Support from Ram engineering was poor at first .. and a first repair attempt of a drivetrain control module was unsuccessful. Ram engineering kicked in and advised replacement of the transfer case. Mopar advised delivery of transfer case would be 24 days. Yes, I said 24. I got great support from a contact in the office of global quality who actually had a transfer case pulled from Sterling Heights and sent to dealer. At the end of the day ... 37 days without the vehicle, but a successful repair and Ram providing warranty support. (For those who will suggest giving Ram the truck back ... Illinois Lemon Laws are about the worst in the nation for buyer protection).

It gets better. I had the Chicago detailer pick the vehicle up for me at Ziegler in order to save two trips to Chicago. He wanted to inspect ppf and give it a bath and overall check The TRX was dropped off at Ziegler Downers Grove on March 26 mere moments after extensive paint protection and 100 photos documenting its perfection. After 37 days at Ziegler they scratched hood, drivers fender, drivers door, hood heat vent and all four fender flares. Not the exaggeration of "detail shop paint nerds" ... the truck is a mess. Detailer thinks hood scratch will require paint. Ziegler Ram has handled it as poorly as is possible. The service advisor was initially supportive and someone within management shut their support down within a few hours. I have provided the service manager / general manager all documentation and their response is "it is our position that we are not responsible."

37 days ... 2 days of enjoyment / 273 miles driven .... and now it looks like it lost a fight with a rabid cat. I won't go quietly. Open to your ideas and experiences.

And the deal stands ... If your ownership experience has been worse. Beers on me.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 8.50.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 8.50.48 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 420
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 8.49.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 8.49.42 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 258
I took delivery of a TRX on Friday, March 19th in central IL ... enjoyed 2 days / 273 miles ... and have not seen the vehicle since. It sat at a detailer for PPF and ceramic coating for a week but at time of pick-up on March 26th had thrown a drivetrain error code and remained in limp mode .... without easy resolution. Ziegler Ram in Downers Grove, IL has had the truck for 37 days. Support from Ram engineering was poor at first .. and a first repair attempt of a drivetrain control module was unsuccessful. Ram engineering kicked in and advised replacement of the transfer case. Mopar advised delivery of transfer case would be 24 days. Yes, I said 24. I got great support from a contact in the office of global quality who actually had a transfer case pulled from Sterling Heights and sent to dealer. At the end of the day ... 37 days without the vehicle, but a successful repair and Ram providing warranty support. (For those who will suggest giving Ram the truck back ... Illinois Lemon Laws are about the worst in the nation for buyer protection).

It gets better. I had the Chicago detailer pick the vehicle up for me at Ziegler in order to save two trips to Chicago. He wanted to inspect ppf and give it a bath and overall check The TRX was dropped off at Ziegler Downers Grove on March 26 mere moments after extensive paint protection and 100 photos documenting its perfection. After 37 days at Ziegler they scratched hood, drivers fender, drivers door, hood heat vent and all four fender flares. Not the exaggeration of "detail shop paint nerds" ... the truck is a mess. Detailer thinks hood scratch will require paint. Ziegler Ram has handled it as poorly as is possible. The service advisor was initially supportive and someone within management shut their support down within a few hours. I have provided the service manager / general manager all documentation and their response is "it is our position that we are not responsible."

37 days ... 2 days of enjoyment / 273 miles driven .... and now it looks like it lost a fight with a rabid cat. I won't go quietly. Open to your ideas and experiences.

And the deal stands ... If your ownership experience has been worse. Beers on me.
Lemon it and buy/order a new one hopefully at a discount to msrp. There is 7-10k between invoice and msrp iirc

i think you win the shittiest prize

I hope your issue with transfer case isn’t like mine. Im throwing transfer case errors.

Whats the lemon law in your state? My first action would be to tell them what I expect for resolution. If they aren’t willing to discuss hire an attorney for 30min to draft a demand letter with some legalese on their letterhead. Normally if they see that they will handle differently.

i cant notice the other scratches but that hood is probably a full repaint to get it right.

I hope your issue with transfer case isn’t like mine. Im throwing transfer case errors.

I just replied to your post. I have 100 pages of diagnostics reports (electronically) if they can be of any value to your dealer. If you don't get resolution, ask them to reach out to SRT engineer Dan Stagner. His team was the brains that got to the correct diagnosis.

Whats the lemon law in your state? My first action would be to tell them what I expect for resolution. If they aren’t willing to discuss hire an attorney for 30min to draft a demand letter with some legalese on their letterhead. Normally if they see that they will handle differently.

i cant notice the other scratches but that hood is probably a full repaint to get it right.
Sadly, I have two issues. Regarding vehicle failure .... Illinois Lemon Law requires 30 business (versus calendar) days out of service within a year. My repair took 25. The carelessness/damage by Ziegler Ram is a secondary issue and I won't go away. I am principled and will achieve justice with them.

The first picture is the truck prior to leaving detail ... its condition 1 hour before arriving at the dealership. You are correct on the hood photo .... Detailer says hood scratch is thru the paint.

Sadly, I have two issues. Regarding vehicle failure .... Illinois Lemon Law requires 30 business (versus calendar) days out of service within a year. My repair took 25. The carelessness/damage by Ziegler Ram is a secondary issue and I won't go away. I am principled and will achieve justice with them.

The first picture is the truck prior to leaving detail ... its condition 1 hour before arriving at the dealership. You are correct on the hood photo .... Detailer says hood scratch is thru the paint.
I would need to read the exact wording but in many states its 30 days total(cal or business) in a given period so while different issues, you are still without a vehicle. Honestly just consult an attorney briefly.

If you are up for dealing with a bodyshop I would basically demand I pick the shop so I could control the work quality

I just replied to your post. I have 100 pages of diagnostics reports (electronically) if they can be of any value to your dealer. If you don't get resolution, ask them to reach out to SRT engineer Dan Stagner. His team was the brains that got to the correct diagnosis.
Thanks I’ll go to my thread and reply there. This is very helpful and I may reach out if it comes down to it. I appreciate the feedback and sounds like was a nightmare but atleast got it functional.

Omg so sorry! I do not have mine yet so no idea whether it will have issues or not but with the great resources you all provide, I am not as scared as I would be. Hopefully with all the major bad luck you have had you get it all resolved smoothly & quickly from here on out and get a bunch of good luck to make up for it.

After you get passed this, flip it and get a new one. It seems this one has definitely ruined what should have been a great experience They are never the same when you have to start re-painting entire pieces etc.

You win. Sorry man. Get yourself a good lawyer.

You Win A Beer and Lunch on me! My God I have had bad luck over the years and had a 4 purchased back 2 Fords a GM and a MB (AMG no less).

Given your situation and do not know your background but mine is contracts and negotiation 34 years lol in both Military Aerospace Lockheed Martin and Oilfield so this stuff is like a normal day at the office. Plus I enjoy this type of work.

My .02 in this matter is straightforward... First and I have not yet read the specific terms and conditions that You as the Buyer agreed to when you bought this truck. Many manufacturers have formal notification requirements that require the Owner to send in writing to them at the address provided said notification. This is important because this is what starts the process not just because you have been out of your vehicle. Other things come into consideration such as did they provide a replacement vehicle while yours was down etc etc. Your states statutes will have all of the specific things you need to do laid out but first is the notification letter.

When you send the letter and it is received it then takes the ability of the Dealer to make decisions on their own out of the equation because the clock has been officially started. Now the damage to your vehicle while in the possession of the dealer is another matter that does not involve FCA directly but adds to your position for FCA to make you happy.

When the letter is received you will be contacted quickly by the manufacturer and a case file is opened and a case worker assigned. Know this may seem complicated but it is the way to get their attention (lawyer would not be as effective at this point without the notifications first because this is a process). This is the letter I used recently on my 2020 Denali when the DEF system went bat sh## crazy. After this the assembly pump was replaced engineering got involved directly and even a couple of software flashes mine was not the only one. FWIW this dealer is the best I have worked with bought many vehicles from them and they know the drill but in you case document with pictures (this has a pictures of the DIC that is not showing below just text) THE DAMAGE DONE TO YOUR TRUCK!

Hope this helps some!

Joe XXXXXXX 09/17/19

Service Director

Classic Chevrolet

Grapevine, Texas 76051

Attention: Joe XXXXXXX

Subject: 2020 GMC 2500 VIN #1GT49REY7LF110796 Case Number 9-5479057620 Dated 09/09/2020

Reference: Repair of Subject Vehicle Delivered to Your Facility for Repair on 09/17/2020

Dear Joe,

In accordance with TEXAS MOTOR VEHICLE COMMISSION CODE (ARTICLE 4413(36) VERNON’S TEXAS CIVIL LEMON LAW STATUTES) Section 6.07 Warranty Performance Obligations you are hereby formally notified of the following known defects of the subject vehicle:

• DEF System indicates false and rapidly changing values causing the mileage limitation warning to come on advising of speed restrictions.

The aforementioned behavior was exhibited most recently on a 800 mile trip on during on September 5, 2019. Previous to that this vehicle has only around 4000 miles total and DEF system has twice indicated to me via a warning in the DIC to fill with DEF. (see attached photograph) When the picture September 5, 2019 was taken the tank was refilled at a Loves Truck Stop where bulk DEF is available and metered – it only took 1.4 gallons before overflowing and the DEF gauge indicated only ¼ full. The Gauge stayed this way for 2 days September 7, 2019 when after a start went to full.

Previously truck showed low on DEF fluid on a trip to New Mexico on August 25, 2019 when adding DEF from a 2.5 gallon box only a little more than a gallon was added before overfilling. The gauge went to full upon restart.

Currently the DEF tank gauge shows about half full when it should show almost full being it has only been less than 1000 miles since a complete fill of the DEF tank.

The safety issue this poses is grave for me as I drive rural highways in the New Mexico desert near our Ranch South and East Of Malga NM travelling from my home in Colleyville Texas. The prospect of the truck going into a reduced speed/power due to the vehicle getting false readings is completely unacceptable and will place my life in danger.

If you have any questions regarding the above please contact the undersigned at XXXXXXXXXXX(Cell) XXXXXXXXXX (Home)

Regards,

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

CC Hard Copy :

GMC

PO Box 33172

Detroit, MI 48232-5172

I'm curious about the transfer case failure. Has anyone at the dealer indicated why it happened? Did you have the fluid levels checked when you took delivery? Some on here say to just take the truck without inspecting and if something breaks, you have a warranty. Your experience is a good example of why I disagree with that approach. If you can catch a problem upon delivery by doing a comprehensive inspection, you can save yourself headaches and expense down the road.

My experience with my TRX is that it is fantastic and extremely reliable. The vast majority of issues I have heard about from others (if not all) arise from QUALITY CONTROL. So, I'm just really curious whether your transfer case issue was a QC issue (i.e., insufficient fluids) or a true defect... if you know. Thanks.

@NDirish1842 - I agree with @TRXer67 - we should buy you a beer! INSANE to me - how everything for consumers is an uphill battle these days. Right is right. Wrong is wrong. Hoping you get resolution soon! Concur with the advice herein.....get a lawyer!

You Win A Beer and Lunch on me! My God I have had bad luck over the years and had a 4 purchased back 2 Fords a GM and a MB (AMG no less).

Given your situation and do not know your background but mine is contracts and negotiation 34 years lol in both Military Aerospace Lockheed Martin and Oilfield so this stuff is like a normal day at the office. Plus I enjoy this type of work.

My .02 in this matter is straightforward... First and I have not yet read the specific terms and conditions that You as the Buyer agreed to when you bought this truck. Many manufacturers have formal notification requirements that require the Owner to send in writing to them at the address provided said notification. This is important because this is what starts the process not just because you have been out of your vehicle. Other things come into consideration such as did they provide a replacement vehicle while yours was down etc etc. Your states statutes will have all of the specific things you need to do laid out but first is the notification letter.

When you send the letter and it is received it then takes the ability of the Dealer to make decisions on their own out of the equation because the clock has been officially started. Now the damage to your vehicle while in the possession of the dealer is another matter that does not involve FCA directly but adds to your position for FCA to make you happy.

When the letter is received you will be contacted quickly by the manufacturer and a case file is opened and a case worker assigned. Know this may seem complicated but it is the way to get their attention (lawyer would not be as effective at this point without the notifications first because this is a process). This is the letter I used recently on my 2020 Denali when the DEF system went bat sh## crazy. After this the assembly pump was replaced engineering got involved directly and even a couple of software flashes mine was not the only one. FWIW this dealer is the best I have worked with bought many vehicles from them and they know the drill but in you case document with pictures (this has a pictures of the DIC that is not showing below just text) THE DAMAGE DONE TO YOUR TRUCK!

Hope this helps some!

Joe XXXXXXX 09/17/19

Service Director

Classic Chevrolet

Grapevine, Texas 76051

Attention: Joe XXXXXXX

Subject: 2020 GMC 2500 VIN #1GT49REY7LF110796 Case Number 9-5479057620 Dated 09/09/2020

Reference: Repair of Subject Vehicle Delivered to Your Facility for Repair on 09/17/2020

Dear Joe,

In accordance with TEXAS MOTOR VEHICLE COMMISSION CODE (ARTICLE 4413(36) VERNON’S TEXAS CIVIL LEMON LAW STATUTES) Section 6.07 Warranty Performance Obligations you are hereby formally notified of the following known defects of the subject vehicle:

• DEF System indicates false and rapidly changing values causing the mileage limitation warning to come on advising of speed restrictions.

The aforementioned behavior was exhibited most recently on a 800 mile trip on during on September 5, 2019. Previous to that this vehicle has only around 4000 miles total and DEF system has twice indicated to me via a warning in the DIC to fill with DEF. (see attached photograph) When the picture September 5, 2019 was taken the tank was refilled at a Loves Truck Stop where bulk DEF is available and metered – it only took 1.4 gallons before overflowing and the DEF gauge indicated only ¼ full. The Gauge stayed this way for 2 days September 7, 2019 when after a start went to full.

Previously truck showed low on DEF fluid on a trip to New Mexico on August 25, 2019 when adding DEF from a 2.5 gallon box only a little more than a gallon was added before overfilling. The gauge went to full upon restart.

Currently the DEF tank gauge shows about half full when it should show almost full being it has only been less than 1000 miles since a complete fill of the DEF tank.

The safety issue this poses is grave for me as I drive rural highways in the New Mexico desert near our Ranch South and East Of Malga NM travelling from my home in Colleyville Texas. The prospect of the truck going into a reduced speed/power due to the vehicle getting false readings is completely unacceptable and will place my life in danger.

If you have any questions regarding the above please contact the undersigned at XXXXXXXXXXX(Cell) XXXXXXXXXX (Home)

Regards,

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

CC Hard Copy :

GMC

PO Box 33172

Detroit, MI 48232-5172
What he said. Also you could firebomb the dealership. Just a thought

Honestly, I would try to flip it for over MSRP and find another one. The whole experience through the ordering process and Rams disaster customer service was awful but I think you win the prize for after getting the truck. Your experience seems to mostly be the dealers fault.

I would get a lawyer to write up a threat so to speak....meaning you're going to court if they dont fix that. Thats complete nonsense.

I'm curious about the transfer case failure. Has anyone at the dealer indicated why it happened? Did you have the fluid levels checked when you took delivery? Some on here say to just take the truck without inspecting and if something breaks, you have a warranty. Your experience is a good example of why I disagree with that approach. If you can catch a problem upon delivery by doing a comprehensive inspection, you can save yourself headaches and expense down the road.

My experience with my TRX is that it is fantastic and extremely reliable. The vast majority of issues I have heard about from others (if not all) arise from QUALITY CONTROL. So, I'm just really curious whether your transfer case issue was a QC issue (i.e., insufficient fluids) or a true defect... if you know. Thanks.
No feedback on failure mode of transfer case. They simply swapped and the truck immediately cleared all error codes. The truck was operable (always) but stuck in limp mode. I asked if the initial temperature warning indicated low fluid and they responded that all fluids were good.

My selling dealer was Sam Leman in Morton, IL. Awesome group. They did and still use the TRX-Forum inspection sheet and I didn't even have to ask. I work for Caterpillar and know the importance of preventive maintenance and inspection on our equipment and live it with my own. Ram Cares is covering truck with warranty ... but even if I keep it ... I don't get tempted to abuse it.

If I learn any more from dealer on root cause of transfer case failure I will PM you.

Really sorry to hear this... :(

Back