How to read oil dip stick

When I check my oil cold it reads higher than if I bring it up to temp and wait a little bit. 7 quarts reads full cold for me. 7.5 quarts reads full when I get it hot and check 5 mins later.
Thank you! Im going to try this today just for my edu. Check cold, then drive, then wait 5-10 min and check again. ✅

That dip stick is a b**** to get in and out! Awkward. But how nice would it be to be able to more easily access the air filters? Anyone else think that is a royal pita? I checked mine after reading someones post about their new truck missing them and was not discovered for many many miles. But it was quite the undertaking.
Picture is cold engine oil check. Its needing changed.

Attachments

• IMG_0507.jpeg
    IMG_0507.jpeg
    196.2 KB · Views: 67
Dealership at least said bring it in right away and let’s change the oil.

Thank you! Im going to try this today just for my edu. Check cold, then drive, then wait 5-10 min and check again. ✅
Done and done but i waited probably an hour after i shut him down. The engine was still very warm though. Not a huge difference in the level, slightly lower than when cold. The funny thing is that the oil looked noticeably cleaner than it did at this mornings check. No picture, still well within the hash marks. 👍

Done and done but i waited probably an hour after i shut him down. The engine was still very warm though. Not a huge difference in the level, slightly lower than when cold. The funny thing is that the oil looked noticeably cleaner than it did at this mornings check. No picture, still well within the hash marks. 👍

I've checked mine both warm and cold and there isn't enough difference for me to favor one over the other.

I've checked mine both warm and cold and there isn't enough difference for me to favor one over the other.
Thank you for the feedback @IdahoKTM
I think i need to focus on getting the oil changed. Im behind on things i need to gather the courage to do myself but changing the oil would be such a valuable skill to master. Between a rock and a hard place because they supposedly do a multi point inspection when you take it to the dealership for an oil change, one that i could not do myself. At least i feel confident checking the oil level now :) i need to build a scaffolding rig too do much of anything up/ in there! I have to keep a grabber in the back of the truck just to close the hood if im away from my at home step ladder lol

Thank you for the feedback @IdahoKTM
I think i need to focus on getting the oil changed. Im behind on things i need to gather the courage to do myself but changing the oil would be such a valuable skill to master. Between a rock and a hard place because they supposedly do a multi point inspection when you take it to the dealership for an oil change, one that i could not do myself. At least i feel confident checking the oil level now :) i need to build a scaffolding rig too do much of anything up/ in there! I have to keep a grabber in the back of the truck just to close the hood if im away from my at home step ladder lol

Watching a few YouTube videos will go a long way to help you build confidence that you can do it yourself. The multi point check that most dealerships claim they do are also things you can do yourself. Most of them are just a visual check...tire pressure, coolant/IC level, etc.

So I've only added 7 quarts every oil change until last week. I used my lift for the first time and on the lift the truck was angled down towards the back. I added 7 quarts like normal and I always drain the oil cooler. This time it was at the bottom of the hash marks. I added 1/2 quart and it brought the oil level to the top of the hash marks.
I hope Santa sees this garage lift setup! Well done!

Watching a few YouTube videos will go a long way to help you build confidence that you can do it yourself. The multi point check that most dealerships claim they do are also things you can do yourself. Most of them are just a visual check...tire pressure, coolant/IC level, etc.
I roll around under my truck looking for any issues when I do the oil or fluids or driveshaft lube and I can’t find any zerk fittings. Am I missing them? I think I have 6 on my tundra and Rzr but I haven’t found any on the trx yet.

I roll around under my truck looking for any issues when I do the oil or fluids or driveshaft lube and I can’t find any zerk fittings. Am I missing them? I think I have 6 on my tundra and Rzr but I haven’t found any on the trx yet.
You’re looking on the wrong spots.
There are two on the top edge of your Uconnect screen, three on the rear bumper, two at the front end of your bed, and one on your cabin air filter.

You’re looking on the wrong spots.
There are two on the top edge of your Uconnect screen, three on the rear bumper, two at the front end of your bed, and one on your cabin air filter.
Good to know. Kidding aside though, the cabin air filter kicked my butt. It probably took me 30 mins because I didn't trust the plastic not to break. No one can turn a 2 minute job into an hour like I can.

Good to know. Kidding aside though, the cabin air filter kicked my butt. It probably took me 30 mins because I didn't trust the plastic not to break. No one can turn a 2 minute job into an hour like I can.
Yeah, the first time I did it, I was all nerves. It takes a fair bit of muscle to yank the door off - I was sure I was going to break it. To be honest, every time I do it, I'm surprised it doesn't break.

I had someone with a Y chromosome who offered to help me but said never mind when i told him about draining the cooler and removing the skid plate! Im going to look at some videos.
i just watched one by HorsePower Obsessed and the skid plate looks like it could be a problem. Sounds like a second pair of hands would be a good idea. Race ramps sound like a great idea!

Yeah, the first time I did it, I was all nerves. It takes a fair bit of muscle to yank the door off - I was sure I was going to break it. To be honest, every time I do it, I'm surprised it doesn't break.

It looks like the same procedure as my old Tundra. Easy.

Had mine done at the dealer, sure looks like they overfilled it to me, any thoughts?

Attachments

• oil 1.jpg
    oil 1.jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 83
  • oil 2.jpg
    oil 2.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 84
Engine must be fully warmed up.
Turn off the engine on level ground and Set your timer to 4 minutes .
When 4 minutes are up , wipe dipstick and check it.
That’s the proper way to check the oil on hellcat engines.
anyone that says otherwise, doesn’t know what they’re talking about.

Its so clean its hard to see where it is past the hash marks. Is it up past the circle?
I said the same thing that at least I knew it was changed lol, but it looks to me like it is just below the circle.

Dealership at least said bring it in right away and let’s change the oil.
Whenever we place out trust in others to perform a task correctly.....we are destined to be disappointed!
My buddy is a service adviser at a local GMC dealership, he has astounding stories of fuck ups by the oil change monkeys. IE, no oil in a Duramax = dealership buys the guy a new engine, etc.

Latest Discussions...

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers SDHQ Motorsports
Back