Hi just joined from IL. Comparing TRX to Prospector XL

Bitdrive

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2020 Raptor
Hi, I joined the other day to learn more about the TRX and the owner experience.

I had a MegaCab Dually in '12, a '15 Power Wagon and now a '20 Ford Raptor... I switch in an out of trucks ever 2 to 3 years. I've never really found the silver bullet.

The TRX answers just about everything I ever wanted but the towing scares me... The Raptor feels dangerous near it's 8100 lb towing limit, but videos I've seen of the TRX seem like it's just fine at limit (and likely under rated). On the flip side I've been eyeing a 2500 or 3500 Prospector XL which would great for towing and fewer fuel stops.

I've searched for "towing with TRX" but it looks mostly like, open flatbed and lightweight toy haulers (I have an enclosed '24 car trailer and usually tow a 3000-4000 lb car), I'd like to get a newer enclosed '28ft enclosed trailer and pull a car + gear. Has anyone used their TRX for hauling the setup I mentioned?

I test drove a TRX last week and its a blast, with the best sounding engine in any production truck I've ever been in. So I'll likely pull the trigger if I can tow my setup better than the Raptor.

Thanks, Mike

The dude

TRX Junkie
Gallery
Reaction score
I haven’t towed that long of a trailer but I did tow a 20’ 7000lb travel trailer for 3000 miles and have nothing to complain about other than the fuel economy. Stable, smooth, no lack of power, all around a good experience. I used a weight distribution hitch which makes a huge difference in suspension squat by shifting weight back to the front axle.

Tom488

TRX Junkie
Gallery
Reaction score
Along with the WDH, you'll probably want to add a set of TRX-specific air bags to handle the tongue weight you'll be putting on the truck. Timber Grove makes these:

Good thread here on them:

OP
OP
B

Bitdrive

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2020 Raptor
Along with the WDH, you'll probably want to add a set of TRX-specific air bags to handle the tongue weight you'll be putting on the truck. Timber Grove makes these:

Good thread here on them:

Great links! Thanks, perfect solution. I think I'll be at 8100 or less but the sagging is unreal on the Raptor, worse than the TRX from the looks of it. I'm going to start looking for one with the Tow mirrors and brake controller (I'm shocked at how few are ordered without these).

Are the dealers still getting over sticker? I saw there were some pretty good rebates awhile back.

04Ram2500Hemi

TRX Addict
Founding Member
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 Ram TRX
TFL did the Ike Gauntlet with the TRX a few times. Not sure it answers all your questions, but might be worth a look.

TRXGUYINMS

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Current Ride
2022 TRX
Current Ride #2
2022 Ford Edge
If towing is a concern and it must be are you wouldn’t have mentioned it I would get a 2500 of your choice.
I had a 2020 F250 and I 2020 Raptor and never towed more than 800 lbs with the Raptor.

The TRX and the Raptor are not great a towing!

Eighty

Dream Killer
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
'22 TRX (Lvl 2), Diamond Black
Hi, I joined the other day to learn more about the TRX and the owner experience.

I had a MegaCab Dually in '12, a '15 Power Wagon and now a '20 Ford Raptor... I switch in an out of trucks ever 2 to 3 years. I've never really found the silver bullet.

The TRX answers just about everything I ever wanted but the towing scares me... The Raptor feels dangerous near it's 8100 lb towing limit, but videos I've seen of the TRX seem like it's just fine at limit (and likely under rated). On the flip side I've been eyeing a 2500 or 3500 Prospector XL which would great for towing and fewer fuel stops.

I've searched for "towing with TRX" but it looks mostly like, open flatbed and lightweight toy haulers (I have an enclosed '24 car trailer and usually tow a 3000-4000 lb car), I'd like to get a newer enclosed '28ft enclosed trailer and pull a car + gear. Has anyone used their TRX for hauling the setup I mentioned?

I test drove a TRX last week and its a blast, with the best sounding engine in any production truck I've ever been in. So I'll likely pull the trigger if I can tow my setup better than the Raptor.

Thanks, Mike
The TRX is not built for towing. While it may have an advertised towing capacity of 8100 lbs, that is NOT the actual safe load that you can tow. Your safe load will almost always be limited by available payload.

Let's say you're actually trying to tow 8100 lbs. A safe weight distribution on the trailer should put your tongue load at 12-15%, or 972-1215 lbs. That is the load that your truck is carrying - it is considered payload. If you add yourself and a token amount of gear in the truck (let's call it a total of 300 lbs), then your total ACTAL payload is 1272-1515 lbs.

My TRX is only rated for 1108 lbs of payload. No bueno.

Realistically, 7000 lbs is about the max that you should ever tow in the TRX. And that would be with a WDH, no passengers, and no cargo in the truck.

@JC

TRX Addict
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2022 Ram TRX - Granite Crystal Metallic
Current Ride #2
2022 Jeep 392 - Granite Crystal Metallic
I always set up the trailer at 10% tongue weight when I was towing with the PowerWagon and never had a problem. Payload is pretty similar between the two as well. I never tow more than 4kish lbs though either so there's that. 😏

DIN0ZR

TRX Junkie
Gallery
Reaction score
Military
USMC
If you need to tow often and tow seriously, don't get a TRX or a Raptor. The TRX is marginally better at towing than the Raptor. But it still ain't great.

WolverineHusky

TRX Junkie
Founding Member
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 Ram TRX, 2012 Ram 2500 Cummins 6.7, 2018 Road Glide Ultra, 2020 Ducati Scrambler Sport Pro 1100
I kept my 2012 Ram 2500 Cummins solely for towing and payload reasons. May drive it once or twice a month but shows my mindset - TRX not ideal for towing or heavy loads.

OP
OP
B

Bitdrive

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2020 Raptor
If you need to tow often and tow seriously, don't get a TRX or a Raptor. The TRX is marginally better at towing than the Raptor. But it still
ain't great.

This is why I'm stuck, I only tow about 3 to 5 times a year (of any significant distance). Otherwise its just around town usually hauling light weight materials once a month.

I kept my 2012 Ram 2500 Cummins solely for towing and payload reasons. May drive it once or twice a month but shows my mindset - TRX not ideal for towing or heavy loads.
This is definitely a great solution. In a perfect world, I'd probably get a Rubicon 392 and a Prospector. The TRX seems like the perfect blend of these two (other than long distance towing).

The dude

TRX Junkie
Gallery
Reaction score
This is why I'm stuck, I only tow about 3 to 5 times a year (of any significant distance). Otherwise its just around town usually hauling light weight materials once a month.

This is definitely a great solution. In a perfect world, I'd probably get a Rubicon 392 and a Prospector. The TRX seems like the perfect blend of these two (other than long distance towing).

You can long distance tow if you want, it’s not bad. Tongue weight on my trailer was right about 1000lbs and the TRX handled it fine.

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Sam Leman Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM Morton Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM EBC Brakes StopwatchUSA.com DanCumminsCDJR.com OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com airRyd auto shipping