TRX of the Year 🏆
RAM-TRX.com Legend
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
Ram TRX
Current Ride #2
Range Rover Sport supercharged, F-150 FX4, Jeep Grand Cherokee
So the performance truck segment is totally new to me as is, to a large extent, who the best hellcat product companies are.

who would you all look to first for a full catless headers/exhaust? I’m not looking for noise. Whoever has the best quality product with best gains proven by a dyno.

what does a full system usually give you for net gains on the hellcat motor?

Kooks Headers, Stainless Works and American Racing Headers would be the three to watch for. I always run Kooks Headers but the other two brands are as good as well.

if I get any information on them before anyone on the forum I will reshare it.

Tuning wise, that’s up in the air for me. With the nGauge officially being discontinued this year, who knows what will come next.

use a lot of stainless works systems in my shop . Super quality .
And you have a range of sound choices .
Tuning

So the performance truck segment is totally new to me as is, to a large extent, who the best hellcat product companies are.

who would you all look to first for a full catless headers/exhaust? I’m not looking for noise. Whoever has the best quality product with best gains proven by a dyno.

what does a full system usually give you for net gains on the hellcat motor?
The issue will be a tune IMHO. I had to replace the PCM with an unlocked one from Moe's Performance on my 1500. Couldn't get one for my 2020 PW, so no headers went on the 6.4.

Not sure on the new manifolds and exhaust in the TRX, but the Hellcats show very little gain from headers, cats removed ect. The factory system is very efficient. Same thing goes for camshafts. I would imagine the TRX will be a little different since the exhaust is so long.

Not sure on the new manifolds and exhaust in the TRX, but the Hellcats show very little gain from headers, cats removed ect. The factory system is very efficient. Same thing goes for camshafts. I would imagine the TRX will be a little different since the exhaust is so long.
This is what my impression was as well. And headers can rob you of torque from what I understand. Long headers do this less than short though.
When tuning my supercharged Tundra it was determined that the best exhaust for both torque and HP was a stock manifold with a single rather than dual exhaust setup. I had the TRD dual and went to a single exhaust with good results. I may be completely off base here and someone can correct me but this was my experience. And a supercharger really moves the air through the engine so the biggest power gains are made through pulleys and porting of the supercharger. And then you just need a high flow exhaust but not necessarily headers.

I always monkey with my vehicles (CAI, exhaust, tune, etc) but hoping not to have to with this one. Now if a side exhaust system like the prototype comes out, I may have to do that.

This is what my impression was as well. And headers can rob you of torque from what I understand. Long headers do this less than short though.
When tuning my supercharged Tundra it was determined that the best exhaust for both torque and HP was a stock manifold with a single rather than dual exhaust setup. I had the TRD dual and went to a single exhaust with good results. I may be completely off base here and someone can correct me but this was my experience. And a supercharger really moves the air through the engine so the biggest power gains are made through pulleys and porting of the supercharger. And then you just need a high flow exhaust but not necessarily headers.
Yeah. Thats why I was emphasizing gains. If you lose too much backpressure your tq numbers get hurt. Never put headers on an SC motor but all good long tube headers I have purchased were designed to have the pressure waves from each firing sequence buoy the next/etc so you get better flow but also needed back pressure.

The issue will be a tune IMHO. I had to replace the PCM with an unlocked one from Moe's Performance on my 1500. Couldn't get one for my 2020 PW, so no headers went on the 6.4.
On every vehicle there seems to be a way. Are you saying you believe the only way to run a different tune package would be to buy an extra unlocked one? Can’t you just pull the original and send to the tuner?

I don’t really care about a cai/tune/exhaust but if I end up doing additional boost/fueling/etc would rather not have to run a standalone like Motec

On every vehicle there seems to be a way. Are you saying you believe the only way to run a different tune package would be to buy an extra unlocked one? Can’t you just pull the original and send to the tuner?

I don’t really care about a cai/tune/exhaust but if I end up doing additional boost/fueling/etc would rather not have to run a standalone like Motec
I am assuming (hate that word) there will be an option to swap once someone figures it out, and I'm sure they will.

American Racing is claiming 40 whp without tune on the Challenger Hcat. That is pretty decent gains. Anyone know if this has been verified by customers?

I personally wouldn't install without a tune. You can call American Racing Headers, Nick is the owner and I talked with him at length before purchasing my last set. Good guy.

Why do you say that?
I personally wouldn't install without a tune. You can call American Racing Headers, Nick is the owner and I talked with him at length before purchasing my last set. Good guy.

Why do you say that?
Most likely it will run lean, or not run optimal. I live at a mile high as well. Every machine I've put headers on (ATV's, Harley, cars, trucks, etc) have required a tune.

Most likely it will run lean
Think so? I can’t see it. The factory ecu should be able to make that adjustment if needed no? And if you run 92/93 I think that would be sufficient

Think so? I can’t see it. The factory ecu should be able to make that adjustment if needed no? And if you run 92/93 I think that would be sufficient
I further qualified/edited above. I'm no expert on the hellcat motor, but every one has specific octane tunes as well. We only have 91 octane here which sucks, unless we buy race fuel (sunoco 104) which is like $10 a gallon at Bandimere racetrack).

I further qualified/edited above. I'm no expert on the hellcat motor, but every one has specific octane tunes as well. We only have 91 octane here which sucks, unless we buy race fuel (sunoco 104) which is like $10 a gallon at Bandimere racetrack).
Yeah. I’m at about 2500ft and will be running 92

If you don't remove the Cats then you should still have the 02 sensors which will manage A/F ratios via the ECM.

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com
Back