Has anyone replaced the black plastic fender trim pieces? **updated with pictures showing replacement**

amill94

TRX Fanatic
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2022 TRX
I have the rear driver fender plastic moulding ordered at my dealer. It was supposed to be in today but they ordered the passenger side by mistake. For $62 I ended up keeping it incase I need it down the road. Anyway, does anyone have any pointers or tips for replacing this piece. The new one just had some plastic guide pieces for lining it up with holes, but how does it attach? The guy in the parts department was pretty clueless. I pulled the fender liner but can't really see how it's attached. Anyone have any pictures or advice on how to replace these plastic moldings? Also, are there any additional parts I'll need that didn't come with the fender molding?

Thanks.

Looks like these white things circled in red are what hold it in place, maybe? This is the side I'll be replacing.

QroqhTa.jpg

New molding only has the guide tabs.
tDaSauI.jpg

The parts diagram doesn't show those white pop pieces unless they look different in the diagram.
36ppaQn.png

If they aren't reusable from the old one does anyone know the part number?

Thanks,

I'm gonna guess you put the "white push things" on the fender then push it onto the quarter panel.....they look like something you would buy at home depot or a hardware store and probably have a flat head the slides up into the metal tab on the fender.....you can probably squeeze the existing pins to get them off.....

Google "Fender Liner Retainer Push-Type Clip for ram"

I don't see why you couldn't slip small bolts into those slots, then use a locknut/washer inside the fender. You'd just have to find the right size and length bolt.

You could do that. One of the advantages of clips like this is they snap if the trim is snagged or pulled off, rather than rip or pull on the panel underneath if more permanently attached. They also don't rust, etc. Those clips should also be re-usable, but I'd probably buy a few extra to keep in the toolbox.

Looks like these white things circled in red are what hold it in place, maybe? This is the side I'll be replacing.

QroqhTa.jpg

New molding only has the guide tabs.
tDaSauI.jpg

The parts diagram doesn't show those white pop pieces unless they look different in the diagram.
36ppaQn.png

If they aren't reusable from the old one does anyone know the part number?

Thanks,
Part number 68526185AA
part name W clip

Attachments

• 4A662A10-9369-447F-9BEB-0B2A17D8F17F.jpeg
    4A662A10-9369-447F-9BEB-0B2A17D8F17F.jpeg
    33.2 KB · Views: 78
Remove liner , use a Pair of needle nose pliers squeeze the tabs / push out while applying pressure. Changed my front driver side few weeks ago. New flare comes with extra clips Incase you break any but I didn’t just take your time.
Thanks for the info. Your flare came with some of the white clips I have circled in my picture? I'll have to completely unpack mine but I didn't see any in it. Just the black plastic alignment tabs are on the flare which are molded into it.

Glad to see this thread

Gonna have to replace all 4 some day, just pinstriped the heck out the truck and the plastic “flares” are torched

Just opened it up and no extra W clips are in there. Just the trim piece and that's it.

Just opened it up and no extra W clips are in there. Just the trim piece and that's it.
Did you get the package containing the flare sealed or was it opened up?
I've heard from others as well that they should be included.

Both of my trim pieces came with new clips.
My fenders came with new clips… just arrived today… I didn’t get through the dealer though, got from a Mopar wholesaler.

Sounds like the parts department robbed your clips.

Did you get the package containing the flare sealed or was it opened up?
I've heard from others as well that they should be included.
It was sealed in plastic bag with the trim wrapped in foam wrapping.

Thanks for the info. Your flare came with some of the white clips I have circled in my picture? I'll have to completely unpack mine but I didn't see any in it. Just the black plastic alignment tabs are on the flare which are molded into it.
Yes clips come with the fender flare..at least mine did… ordered from bam wholesale $50 shipped

So I figured I'd update this thread. I got the trim piece back from the detailer after having it coated to match the rest. A few things I figured I'd point out. Someone linked the clip pieces earlier in this thread. They are not the correct pieces.

c44kPpI.jpg

Factory clip on the left is gray. The part number on the bag is the white one. I made them work by cutting the white clips shorter. The white fastener that clips into the hole on the fender is slightly larger than the grey one. It works but I'm going to try and find the correct ones incase I have to swap them again.
hhUMtOw.jpg

Aside from the fender liner, you need to remove this piece behind the rear wheel to access some of the other clips toward the bottom. Screws are circled.
kvCiLsw.jpg

Removed
HoT1ASP.jpg

I was able to access all of the clips from inside the wheel well except for the circled spots. They are above a piece of metal and I don't know how you'd actually access them to compress the clip to remove the flare. I just yanked this off and broke them since I had what I thought were the proper replacements.
6qvSB9d.jpg

The trimmed white clips that I ordered had to be used for the ones I broke since I was unable to access them for removal.
feYPtpt.jpg

rsB9mBO.jpg

When putting in the plastic piece that needed to be removed after the fender liner to get to the rear clips near the bumper, there is a plastic tab that you want to insert before starting your screws at the top and bottom to keep it lined up.
zTwjNXx.jpg

It was pretty straight forward for the most part. I took my time to not scratch paint or break existing clips but it was pretty simple overall.

Last edited:
So I figured I'd update this thread. I got the trim piece back from the detailer after having it coated to match the rest. A few things I figured I'd point out. Someone linked the clip pieces earlier in this thread. They are not the correct pieces.

c44kPpI.jpg

Factory clip on the left is gray. The part number on the bag is the white one. I made them work by cutting the white clips shorter. The white fastener that clips into the hole on the fender is slightly larger than the grey one. It works but I'm going to try and find the correct ones incase I have to swap them again.
hhUMtOw.jpg

Aside from the fender liner, you need to remove this piece behind the rear wheel to access some of the other clips toward the bottom. Screws are circled.
kvCiLsw.jpg

Removed
HoT1ASP.jpg

I was able to access all of the clips from inside the wheel well except for the circled spots. They are above a piece of metal and I don't know how you'd actually access them to compress the clip to remove the flare. I just yanked this off and broke them since I had what I thought were the proper replacements.
6qvSB9d.jpg

The trimmed white clips that I ordered had to be used for the ones I broke since I was unable to access them for removal.
feYPtpt.jpg

rsB9mBO.jpg

When putting in the plastic piece that needed to be removed after the fender liner to get to the rear clips near the bumper, there is a plastic tab that you want to insert before starting your screws at the top and bottom to keep it lined up.
zTwjNXx.jpg

It was pretty straight forward for the most part. I took my time to not scratch paint or break existing clips but it was pretty simple overall.
Can you post the correct parts number for the rear ds? I am coming up with three different numbers.

Thanks in advance!

Can someone please post the part numbers for all fenders? I’ve been putting off painting them to match since I had yet to see how these come off but this thread looks like it’ll be just what I need.

Back