Gun Thread?

Anyone have a line on KAC stuff? Looking for a complete sr15 cqb with 11.5” barrel or just the upper

love that marlin...
This is one of my one off Marlins built by Marlin (note the yardstick) anyway in the spirit of the comment---had a friend there on the Leadership Team. I sent this blank to make this straight grip short tube 308 Marlin. Only one that exists. My guess is no one will be able to guess the stock wood type. Hint---nothing tougher!!!!!!!

DSCF0193.JPG

This is one of my one off Marlins built by Marlin (note the yardstick) anyway in the spirit of the comment---had a friend there on the Leadership Team. I sent this blank to make this straight grip short tube 308 Marlin. Only one that exists. My guess is no one will be able to guess the stock wood type. Hint---nothing tougher!!!!!!!

View attachment 16573
WoW. .44mag or .45-70?

View attachment 16573
I’d venture to say Bastogne or English Walnut.

I’d venture to say Bastogne or English Walnut.
Ahhhhh understand your thinking as there is a lot of blonde. This makes the two wood varieties seem like pine in the toughness department. Hint----It only grows in a few states in the ugliest of conditions imaginable and is tough to find a tree that will yield a blank. It is a nightmare to cure with only about 60%-70% of the blanks not twisting during curing. When it is cured it is among the most dimensionally stable woods that exists. ;)

joshua tree?
Ahhhhh understand your thinking as there is a lot of blonde. This makes the two wood varieties seem like pine in the toughness department. Hint----It only grows in a few states in the ugliest of conditions imaginable and is tough to find a tree that will yield a blank. It is a nightmare to cure with only about 60%-70% of the blanks not twisting during curing. When it is cured it is among the most dimensionally stable woods that exists. ;)

Maybe a variety of Rosewood then, but I’ve never seen lines that straight and pronounced.

This is a project I started a good while back for a PH gun in .505 Gibbs. This is a piece of English Walnut with some vibrant blonde streaks.

Attachments

• CE469EED-83DC-4E10-8260-F9EE69C72BD0.jpeg
    CE469EED-83DC-4E10-8260-F9EE69C72BD0.jpeg
    281.8 KB · Views: 8
I would believe mesquite for the color but the size of the tree/bush that that thing came from had to be an ideal specimen. 🍻
Yes not just Mesquite but https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosopis_pubescens

Gordon is the only person I know of who goes to the trouble to cut this anymore. He may not currently. I have 3 blanks I have been saving for special projects.

This is a project I started a good while back for a PH gun in .505 Gibbs. This is a piece of English Walnut with some vibrant blonde streaks.
That is a pretty blank---for a big bore like that need to have your smith make sure the wrist is strong enough. When that blank was laid out this should have been addressed.

Here is a example of what it should like like with the way the grain flows through the wrist. This one has been partially inletted for a project. Put some water on it so the grain would show up better. This is Turkish.

The last on is on a build but this was a inprocess pic and the rifle is at the back of one of the safes in a silicone cloth sock --- pita to dig it out. ;)

20210707_102113.jpg
20210707_102135.jpg
300h&h2 (2).JPG
300h&h1 (2).JPG

This photo shows the rest the of the blank. I replicated this stock from a magnum blank designed for DG applications. It will hold up.

Attachments

• C52A42CD-1F69-48F8-A657-C69625D0FD18.jpeg
    C52A42CD-1F69-48F8-A657-C69625D0FD18.jpeg
    489.6 KB · Views: 9
I love the gibbs. When I had my 416 Rigby built it was that or 416 and I already had a 500NE double

That is a pretty blank---for a big bore like that need to have your smith make sure the wrist is strong enough. When that blank was laid out this should have been addressed.

Here is a example of what it should like like with the way the grain flows through the wrist. This one has been partially inletted for a project. Put some water on it so the grain would show up better. This is Turkish.

The last on is on a build but this was a inprocess pic and the rifle is at the back of one of the safes in a silicone cloth sock --- pita to dig it out. ;)

View attachment 16591View attachment 16592View attachment 16593View attachment 16595
Pretty blank. Yes you want straight grain through forearm and wrist then it can go nuts

Been searching for a few years and finally found one at a “steal” (relatively speaking). This thing is a beast.
View attachment 17385
I’m done buying pistols except for a few specific ones and 1911’s. I have all I really want

Back