Going under the knife...standby for Stage II **Updated 10/19/22 after Dusterhoff Tune**😎

Reviving an old thread for good reason!

As some of you know, I was working to get my 2.85 upper and 10% OD lower dialed in on 93 octane pump gas and just wasn't happy with it. Ran too hot/rich and wasn't making the power I expected at all. At the recommendation of @AZDinoPwr (Huge thank you and extremely helpful along the way), I contacted Dusterhoff Tuning to see what Curt thought about the setup and the immediate reaction was that it is too aggressive of a setup for pump gas on a TRX given weight etc. and that he felt he could get more power and better performance with a less aggressive setup. He recommended that I switch to 3.10 upper and keep the lower (equivalent of upper only 2.85).

The original guys I've been working with at American Muscle Performance, here local, were awesome and agreed to swap the pulley for me and work with Curt Dusterhoff as needed and even refunded me a large portion of what they charged for my original tune. Before I get into the next section, I want to be clear, I 100% plan to keep working with American Muscle Performance and just use Curt Dusterhoff as my tuner, because Scott and his team at American Muscle have been top notch to deal with!

So, we got the pulley swapped and I've spent the last couple weeks working with Curt Dusterhoff remotely to dial in the DT937 Flex Tune he offers (93 octane and e85 interchangeable). The truck is running AMAZING!! It is actually making significantly more power with the new setup, which is less aggressive and about 4lbs less boost, so less strain on the motor and blower.

Below are the results: #1 Stock, #2 2.85 upper and 10% OD lower (Not tuned by Curt), and #3 the less aggressive (2.85 equivalent) DT937 Flex Tune by Curt Dusterhoff.

**I know the Density Altitude is significantly better in the fastest run, however I have an interchiller in both setups so DA is pretty much a moot point**

Stock:
View attachment 53903

First Mod setup and tune:
2.85 upper and 10% OD lower pulley setup (19lbs of boost)
S&B CAI, Mighty Mouse Catch Can, injectors, plugs and FI interchiller
View attachment 53904

Dusterhoff Tuned:
DT937 Flex Tune
3.1 upper and 10% OD lower (2.85 upper only equivalent) (15lbs of boost)
S&B CAI, Mighty Mouse Catch Can, injectors, plugs and FI interchiller
View attachment 53905

Moral of the story.....truck runs faster and smoother on a less aggressive setup with less boost tuned by Curt Dusterhoff. @AZDinoPwr feel free to chime in!
just went through the whole thread. Good info in here but i wish you had done a Dragy comparison from American muscle's tune vs. Dusterhoff on the same gas. Doing an E combo in the best dragy time is like getting in a different car lol. I'm sure the Duster tune was better as you report but probably not over half a second better!

just went through the whole thread. Good info in here but i wish you had done a Dragy comparison from American muscle's tune vs. Dusterhoff on the same gas. Doing an E combo in the best dragy time is like getting in a different car lol. I'm sure the Duster tune was better as you report but probably not over half a second better!
I can do a Dragy on pump gas to show a comparison, but that wasn’t the main issue. I had major heat issues and the truck ran like shit under normal driving conditions. The setup was too hot for pump gas. It’s totally different to setup a truck to make one pass down the track or a couple on the dyno vs. actual daily driving functionality on the interstate and red light to red light. I gave their tuner multiple attempts to fix the drivability and it actually got worse. American Muscle Performance is a phenomenal shop and I’ll continue to go there as they 100% made it right, however Dusterhoff tune was night and day, even if you remove the Dragy time.

I can do a Dragy on pump gas to show a comparison, but that wasn’t the main issue. I had major heat issues and the truck ran like shit under normal driving conditions. The setup was too hot for pump gas. It’s totally different to setup a truck to make one pass down the track or a couple on the dyno vs. actual daily driving functionality on the interstate and red light to red light. I gave their tuner multiple attempts to fix the drivability and it actually got worse. American Muscle Performance is a phenomenal shop and I’ll continue to go there as they 100% made it right, however Dusterhoff tune was night and day, even if you remove the Dragy time.
How did you notice she was running too hot?

you still up to meetup one of these days?

you still up to meetup one of these days?
Definitely man! Are you still stock or have you modded at all? Shoot me a PM and we’ll figure something out

Has anyone run Curt’s 877HP kit? Wondering what top pulley he uses and how the package works? I want to mod mine but Ripa is only about 1.6 hours away or HHP tuners and they are 3 hours away. But having my local guy install and having Curt remote tune would be nice

Has anyone run Curt’s 877HP kit? Wondering what top pulley he uses and how the package works? I want to mod mine but Ripa is only about 1.6 hours away or HHP tuners and they are 3 hours away. But having my local guy install and having Curt remote tune would be nice
I’m contemplating this same kit currently…

I’m contemplating this same kit currently…
I would like to use a decoupling pulley on mine and HHP offers that option. Not sure what top pulley Dusterhoff is using. Ima like how Rippa is pinning the crank to be safe. I’d also like that option.

I would like to use a decoupling pulley on mine and HHP offers that option. Not sure what top pulley Dusterhoff is using. Ima like how Rippa is pinning the crank to be safe. I’d also like that option.
This is why I'm putting the other thread together b/c no single company offers the ideal 93oct kit IMO.

I currently have the 877 kit, it is good for a solid 100rwhp increase, It uses their 2.82 pulley. I have an appointment next week to upgrade to their flex fuel kit. I should have spent the little extra the first time and went with the flex kit and been done with it.

I was told I did not need it either. I just figured might as well just in case I go full e85 set up

Which is why I, like most, put together their own package and then pick a tuner. In my case Dusterhoff.
Curious as to what you’ve put together? I really don’t want to travel 400 plus miles to get a level 1 package installed.

Curious as to what you’ve put together? I really don’t want to travel 400 plus miles to get a level 1 package installed.
S&B intake and JLT catch can
2.85 griptec upper (based on everyone’s experiences on the hellcat forum to optimize for pump gas and stay within the blower compressor map efficiency range)
ID1050x injectors
180 tstat
FI blower thermal spacers (bc AZ heat sucks)
Flex fuel PCM/TCM tune (Dusterhoff)

Package conservative enough for pump gas and towing but still almost 200hp gain on e85. And something I could install myself (although pulling the blower for the spacers was a PITA).

Depending on how logs look in the summer heat I may port the snout in the future and if the Ripatuned interchiller gets good reviews from folks then I would consider that in the future as well.

Back