🛠️ Staff member
Founding Member
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2023 TRX
Current Ride #2
2021 Can-Am Commander Max
So for all of you that have and or had a SC engine.... what’s the best fuel for the Beast? E-85, 93, 91, 89....... thanks.

93 otherwise you will start to get detonation . It can do some nasty damage over time

93 otherwise you will start to get detonation . It can do some nasty damage over time
I imagine 93 would be ideal, but since it is not available everywhere in the US I am betting that the recommended fuel will be 91 octane. Obviously running 93 is safer due to the lower risk of the fuel pre-detonating in the cylinder, but you gotta run what is available in your area and the computer can make adjustments to small changes to things like fuel octane levels.

91 is just fine and will not cause detonation if you don't have 93 available. Kwik Trip non oxy 91 is good. I run 102 in the Demon when I can!

I remember someone saying that 91 is recommended for the hellcat chargers so I would assume it would be the same for the TRX. I am sure higher wouldn't hurt but probably not really needed

Forgot 93 isn’t everywhere sorry . I have used 91 in the past and really had no issues

If you are concerned about detonation you can always pick up a bottle of octane boost they seem to work ok for a little piece of mind anyway.

93. A buddy of mine works for a race shop and can get me some race fuel if needed. Also I can get E85 and 100 octane from a lot of gas stations near me

What’s the deal with E85 . Never used it , I have it in my area . My question is do you need a tune or a blend mix with regular fuel to use it safely ?

So which is it Guns, below 93 will cause detonation, or it wont and you have had no problems? LOL. :rolleyes: Curious why you think the manufacturer, who has to back a warranty, is wrong? :unsure:
Also, there is no reason to put octane boost in a stock engine, you will get no benefit, and that stuff can be harmful to plugs, injectors, etc. If running a stock tune, put 91 or better in and leave it at that.

What’s the deal with E85 . Never used it , I have it in my area . My question is do you need a tune or a blend mix with regular fuel to use it safely ?
E85 is already mixed. You can mix it further to reach different ethanol levels. I would not do this without a way to measure the alcohol level accurately. Most cars on the road today (non-EV) are designed to run on fuel up to E10 which is what comes out of the pump at most fuel stations. I am not sure if the TRX is setup from the factory to run a different mixture or not. Typically you need a tune at a minimum and may require additional components to prevent damage to your fuel system from prolonged use of fuels with higher than recommended ethanol contents.

That being said, I would certainly be interested in running E85. Boosted vehicles tend to love it and it allows you, generally, to safely push higher boost levels. Also, there is a station with E85 that is about 1/2 mile from my house...just have to wait and see unless someone has this information already.

So which is it Guns, below 93 will cause detonation, or it wont and you have had no problems? LOL. :rolleyes: Curious why you think the manufacturer, who has to back a warranty, is wrong? :unsure:
Also, there is no reason to put octane boost in a stock engine, you will get no benefit, and that stuff can be harmful to plugs, injectors, etc. If running a stock tune, put 91 or better in and leave it at that.

Not saying 91 would cause issues but given the choice I would run 93 that’s all , like I said I have run 91 without issues didn’t mean to create any confusion, just stating what I have run in my s/c vehicles

These engines respond well with E85, around 70% ethanol or less you start to loose advantage of the additional timing. If they come with a dual fuel pump like the Track Hawk we should be able to swap injectors and add a boost a pump to be E85 compatible. A flex tune works great if your running off the pump then you can use what ever fuel you want and not have to worry about getting a batch of fuel with low ethanol content.

Not saying 91 would cause issues but given the choice I would run 93 that’s all , like I said I have run 91 without issues didn’t mean to create any confusion, just stating what I have run in my s/c vehicles
Cool thanks. It being a s/c vehicle doesn't really matter, it has to do with the compression ratio, the higher the ratio, the more octane needed. Speaking high level, for a forced induction you actually need a lower compression ratio in general. Incredible engineering and electronic controls have allowed for fairly high compression ratio's (10+ to 1) WITH forced induction, requiring premium (91+).

Back