First oil change?

Zucco22

TRX Fan
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 Ram TRX
When would you guys do your first oil change? I’m at 800 miles, but wasn’t sure if a change after break in would make sense.

When would you guys do your first oil change? I’m at 800 miles, but wasn’t sure if a change after break in would make sense.
I'm from the old school. I was blown away looking at the maintenance schedule (found on this forum post), and seeing it says you can go 6,000 miles or 6 months. Indoctrinated in the 3k/3months school I'm not sure I'll be able to go that long. All this stuff is modern compared to my average experience. I still think about engines being new, break-in leaving manufacturing traces, etc.

I would completely consider doing it within the first 1000 miles. High quality synthetics. At it's base, there's still a good old fashion, cast-iron block monstrosity under the hood that likes lubrication; right?

Then I'll follow-up, will you only do it at 6K after that?

I can't wait for this freakn' truck to have all these "problems" to solve ;)

I'm from the old school. I was blown away looking at the maintenance schedule (found on this forum post), and seeing it says you can go 6,000 miles or 6 months. Indoctrinated in the 3k/3months school I'm not sure I'll be able to go that long. All this stuff is modern compared to my average experience. I still think about engines being new, break-in leaving manufacturing traces, etc.

I would completely consider doing it within the first 1000 miles. High quality synthetics. At it's base, there's still a good old fashion, cast-iron block monstrosity under the hood that likes lubrication; right?

I was thinking the same for the first, 1000-1500 and then 5-6k after that. When I grew up my dad changed the oil every 5k miles and taught me to do the same. As I’ve gotten older and had new cars and used quality synthetics I’ve gone longer.

When is your truck expected?

Ordered 2/5 and just got my VIN 3/2. No idea really. I went to contact FCA via web chat, per some of the posts here, to find out what they would say. I may, um, uh, have passed out in the chair while they were searching the answer. Whatever answer they gave me was lost to the "take our survey" page I saw when my man cave chair released my consciousness.

I was a 3K person as well. Many years ago though I switched to syn and every 5K (or 1 year whichever comes first). With that said I have seen many say do your first change at 500-1000. I will do that but then change on the 5's. Just too easy that way, 5, 10, 15, 20.

Goi
Ordered 2/5 and just got my VIN 3/2. No idea really. I went to contact FCA via web chat, per some of the posts here, to find out what they would say. I may, um, uh, have passed out in the chair while they were searching the answer. Whatever answer they gave me was lost to the "take our survey" page I saw when my man cave chair released my consciousness
Good luck! Hope it comes soon.

I was a 3K person as well. Many years ago though I switched to syn and every 5K (or 1 year whichever comes first). With that said I have seen many say do your first change at 500-1000. I will do that but then change on the 5's. Just too easy that way, 5, 10, 15, 20.
I do the same. Every 5k....every 10k for the diesels fuel filter, 25k for the gearboxes/transmission. It is super easy that way!

Still don't know how I feel about the transmission being sealed! I service the Allison every 25k and there's 170k EFI Live tuned miles on it and never a hiccup. I'm sure there is a way to service it, but will have to dig into that conundrum a differnt day!

Still don't know how I feel about the transmission being sealed! I service the Allison every 25k and there's 170k EFI Live tuned miles on it and never a hiccup. I'm sure there is a way to service it, but will have to dig into that conundrum a differnt day!
Hadn't actually caught the sealed tranny thing. I'll research more. Completely agree with where I think your going though, lubrication likes to be changed from time to time and kept fresh.

I'm lucky enough to have a lift and old school master tech at my disposal. I'll definitely make sure to dig in and see what we can find.

Goi

Good luck! Hope it comes soon.
Thanks. I caught it on the registry list last night (thanks) and started doing math based on the production. "Let's see we did 690 builds last week, there are a few hundred listed before me, then probably others not on our list, if I divide by the hypotenuse of the square of the TCP/IP stack can I calculate .... "

(PS - yes, I know that sentence is garbage words, attempting to sound smart, strung together. It's my ode to every hacker on TV... just say a bunch of stuff together that are words most people don't understand)

I bought the maintenance package at my dealer.
The schedule is twice a year so yea 6000 miles which I agree, it doesn’t sit well in my stomach. I feel like “thats not the way you do it”

Hadn't actually caught the sealed tranny thing. I'll research more. Completely agree with where I think your going though, lubrication likes to be changed from time to time and kept fresh.

I'm lucky enough to have a lift and old school master tech at my disposal. I'll definitely make sure to dig in and see what we can find.
Most ZFs are sealed.

The way around a "sealed" transmission if you want to change some of the fluid is every 30k or so miles drop the pan measure the amount of fluid you take out of the pan. Wash the pan in a solvent tank and put it back together adding the amount of new fluid you took out.

HOWEVER transmissions either need to be maintained REGULARLY or LEFT ALONE.......... If you have a vehicle with over about 75k miles on it and the transmission fluid has never been changed LEAVE IT ALONE. You will do more harm than good especially if you let some lube shop hook up their "Transmission Flush" machine avoid those like the plague

The way around a "sealed" transmission if you want to change some of the fluid is every 30k or so miles drop the pan measure the amount of fluid you take out of the pan. Wash the pan in a solvent tank and put it back together adding the amount of new fluid you took out.

HOWEVER transmissions either need to be maintained REGULARLY or LEFT ALONE.......... If you have a vehicle with over about 75k miles on it and the transmission fluid has never been changed LEAVE IT ALONE. You will do more harm than good especially if you let some lube shop hook up their "Transmission Flush" machine avoid those like the plague
Great points being thrown around.

Your making me laugh with the don't change it if it hasn't been changed in forever. It does kind of seem like at 75,000 miles of use the fluid becomes part of holding it together. I have in the past changed a car in that situation, and watched the tranny fail. Great points.

And I think I need to go re-read what it means to be a sealed transmission.

Thanks. I caught it on the registry list last night (thanks) and started doing math based on the production. "Let's see we did 690 builds last week, there are a few hundred listed before me, then probably others not on our list, if I divide by the hypotenuse of the square of the TCP/IP stack can I calculate .... "

(PS - yes, I know that sentence is garbage words, attempting to sound smart, strung together. It's my ode to every hacker on TV... just say a bunch of stuff together that are words most people don't understand)
You had me. I was like does this guy actually know the formula. Lol.

The truck would be considered my weekend truck. So would take a year to put 6k miles on it. Should I still change it every 6months or is once a year good? What about diffs?

The truck would be considered my weekend truck. So would take a year to put 6k miles on it. Should I still change it every 6months or is once a year good? What about diffs?
I changed the oil and all diffs/t-case at 750 miles after someone posted pics of diff fluid at 500 miles with metal in it.

I changed mine at 1090. Along with front & rear diff plus the transfer case.

What oil you using in you diffs/t cas?

Back