First issue with TRX at 15k miles

Mjaestewart

TRX Fiend
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
RAM TRX Billet Silver
A few weeks back I was driving to the store, got out of the truck, and smelled something that was potently sweet. I disregarded it as something mechanically still breaking-in with the truck. Fast forward to today, I drop my TRX off at my RAM dealer to get an oil change and address the recent recall that popped up on my screen. As I came out of the vestibule talking to my service sales leader the entire pull-up garage was filled with a sweet smell. I asked him, “You smell that?” Of course he did!

One of the mechanics came out to look under the truck and without surprise we find a lot red coolant dripping out of the radiator. All over the skid plate too. The point of leakage looked to at the bottom of the radiator. I never got any sensor warnings because the coolant was right at the threshold of where the sensor would’ve signaled. However, there was still a good quart lost.

I do have the ADD Bomber bumper on the truck. The mechanics first response is, “I’m hoping the bumper has nothing to do with the issue.” Now, this is the same mechanic I had last time in regards to this bumper blocking the Super Charger drain plug. Super cool dude. I really like and trust him. Actually, I like everyone at this RAM dealership. After further inspection, he agrees that the bumper had no interference and will have to change whatever is damaged under warranty. And because the TRX is so specialized they will not have the parts in stock and will have to keep the truck.

Blows my mind how expensive the TRX is and have issues at only 15k miles. The mechanic speculated that it could be a bad weld on the radiator. But that points to quality control. For the price of these TRX’s they should be perfect, go under extensive QC processes at every stage of the build, and all parts triple checked before install. I’m glad I have the extended warranty because who knows what else will pop-up in the future. Never have I had a brand new vehicle present problems to me after only 15k miles. I’ve had German and Japanese vehicles that ran until the wheels fell off without presenting any issues. And interestingly, I don’t beat the balls off my truck!

It's a mass produced truck, I think your expectations are a bit high.
Agreed. Maybe my emotions are a bit high at the moment too.

Now the real issues come in from a service perspective. Just got news.

1. They want to charge $480 to take the bumper off and put the bumper back on since it’s after-market.

My argument with this is that the stock bumper would have to be removed anyway to replace the radiator. I know the dealer is trying to make money but damn this is taking advantage since it is a warranty issue that isn’t caused by me being wreckless.

The service sales leader said that the stock bumper may have to be removed but the skid plate is the issue since it’s all one piece. This doesn’t make sense to me since the stock skid plate would have to be removed as well.

2. The parts won’t be delivered until March 17th. The radiator is $280 and the hose is $120. All less than the price they want to charge me for taking the bumper off and on.

3. They recommended me to keep the truck at the shop since I risk damaging the motor due to coolant leakage. I agree with this 100%!

4. I ask the dealer for a loaner until the 17th when I’ll be able to get my truck back. The answer was, “No. Since I didn’t purchase my truck at this dealer.”

Really? Wtf? I thought the purpose of an extended warranty was to cover this as well? And that since I bought the extended warranty I’d be treated with greater care? All lies to get me to buy the extended warranty?

5. “Great. I can’t get a loaner so can you at least give me a ride home?” The response I got was, “Nope. But we’re going to top off your coolant and you can drive home yourself and keep the truck at your house until the parts come in and then you can drive back when the parts arrive. We’ll top you off.”

Really?! Now I risk driving a busted truck home that may have greater repercussions if I lose all coolant and the engine fries?

Like what am I up against here?

Sorry for the extremely emotional thread here but this is shit service and responses. I’m literally so mad I’m just laughing.

Wow. I didn't buy my truck from the dealer I use for service, but if there is a warranty issue, they always pay for my loaner.

Unless a hose pops off and you lose all coolant you'll be fine with driving it after topping off. You can just take a uber home if you really wanted too lol

Wow. I didn't buy my truck from the dealer I use for service, but if there is a warranty issue, they always pay for my loaner.
Yea I don’t know what recourse or leverage I have here but I’d take love to call RAM and complain.

Between the bumper removal, rental car for a few weeks, I’m already out $1k for something that’s not my fault.

4. I ask the dealer for a loaner until the 17th when I’ll be able to get my truck back. The answer was, “No. Since I didn’t purchase my truck at this dealer.”

Really? Wtf? I thought the purpose of an extended warranty was to cover this as well? And that since I bought the extended warranty I’d be treated with greater care? All lies to get me to buy the extended warranty?
Do you have a MaxCare extended warranty? If so, that covers both 1st day rental and rentals for service up to 5 days...

FIRST DAY RENTAL Provides a $35 First Day Car Rental Allowance or Taxi Reimbursement for any dealership mechanical repair or maintenance service (excluding bodywork).

CAR RENTAL ALLOWANCE Will pay up to $35 per day ($175 maximum per occurrence) for Car Rental or Taxi Reimbursement anytime a component covered by the plan or Manufacturer’s Basic or Powertrain Warranty fails, causing the vehicle to be inoperable and repairs take overnight.

Unless a hose pops off and you lose all coolant you'll be fine with driving it after topping off. You can just take a uber home if you really wanted too lol
Of course. Uber was already in my mind but I’m just looking at this from a customer service perspective.

1. I’m a loyal RAM customer
2. I buy a $103k vehicle
3. I buy the top tier extended warranty
4. I’ve gotten all services done from day one at this dealership
5. I’m treated with the lowest quality of care

Doesn’t make sense to me. Audi NEVER treated me like this. They’d give me a loaner for an oil change. I hate to even bring Audi into this conversation, even to compare this situation to another manufacturer isn’t even in my character. But I’m just keeping real.

Do you have a MaxCare extended warranty? If so, that covers both 1st day rental and rentals for service up to 5 days...
I do actually. The service sales leader knows my coverage but still doesn’t give me any suitable options.

A few weeks back I was driving to the store, got out of the truck, and smelled something that was potently sweet. I disregarded it as something mechanically still breaking-in with the truck. Fast forward to today, I drop my TRX off at my RAM dealer to get an oil change and address the recent recall that popped up on my screen. As I came out of the vestibule talking to my service sales leader the entire pull-up garage was filled with a sweet smell. I asked him, “You smell that?” Of course he did!

One of the mechanics came out to look under the truck and without surprise we find a lot red coolant dripping out of the radiator. All over the skid plate too. The point of leakage looked to at the bottom of the radiator. I never got any sensor warnings because the coolant was right at the threshold of where the sensor would’ve signaled. However, there was still a good quart lost.

I do have the ADD Bomber bumper on the truck. The mechanics first response is, “I’m hoping the bumper has nothing to do with the issue.” Now, this is the same mechanic I had last time in regards to this bumper blocking the Super Charger drain plug. Super cool dude. I really like and trust him. Actually, I like everyone at this RAM dealership. After further inspection, he agrees that the bumper had no interference and will have to change whatever is damaged under warranty. And because the TRX is so specialized they will not have the parts in stock and will have to keep the truck.

Blows my mind how expensive the TRX is and have issues at only 15k miles. The mechanic speculated that it could be a bad weld on the radiator. But that points to quality control. For the price of these TRX’s they should be perfect, go under extensive QC processes at every stage of the build, and all parts triple checked before install. I’m glad I have the extended warranty because who knows what else will pop-up in the future. Never have I had a brand new vehicle present problems to me after only 15k miles. I’ve had German and Japanese vehicles that ran until the wheels fell off without presenting any issues. And interestingly, I don’t beat the balls off my truck!
By your logic, there should be no warranty provided because it should be perfect. I had a Mercedes require a complete trans rebuild at 30,000 miles, and I had a Porsche 911 that the water pump took a shit at 35,000 miles. German doesn’t equal flawless.

But your dealership experience…that’s for sure something to complain about. Take the truck home, pull the bumper off yourself. And find another service department.

The tale of two dealership:

My quick story is that my new truck had 6600 miles and six months my truck and on it’s own suddenly stopped and would not restart.

Had it towed to my dealer, not the dealer I purchased it from which was out of state for them to investigate what the hell is going on. It took almost 3 weeks for them to actually get to the truck because there’s only one engine mechanic under employ at this dealership. No big deal because I have another car that I can use that is a Maserati QuattroPorte so I’m not really suffering here.

What’s the mechanic was able to take out a couple of things he used his sneak camera to look and see what was going on inside and it wasn’t good, the supercharger had lost a bearing and it went through the screws shoot it all up and then all the intake manifold, and destroy the motor internally.

ok, shit happens…… they told me that rather than tearing the M tire motor apart and then ordering a butt load of parts that they would petition the mothership to get approval to install a brand supercharger and motor.

Now knowing that this is going to take a while, I asked my service girl if they had a loaner/courtesy car that I could use while my car was in the shop. They gave me a 2022 ram longhorn, which I absolutely freaking loved completely free of charge, just so you know, I had it for almost three months for free.

I know in my case, I bought my truck in Illinois and had it shipped out here to San Diego. What does fucking anything to do with any fucking warranty or any fucking loaner car issue it’s the warranty, that’s all that matters and you should escalate this because that’s bullshit.

So my story ends with, (knock on wood) I now have a brand new motor and a brand new supercharger and as a matter of fact, a brand new catalytic converter‘s as pieces pieces went into that as well, and I’m happier than a pig in slop. Good people did good things and couldn’t be happier with the end result. It’s so shitty that this process isn't the same across the country and you have to go through craziness like this is.

Good luck, brother, sending positive thoughts your way!.

Of course. Uber was already in my mind but I’m just looking at this from a customer service perspective.

1. I’m a loyal RAM customer
2. I buy a $103k vehicle
3. I buy the top tier extended warranty
4. I’ve gotten all services done from day one at this dealership
5. I’m treated with the lowest quality of care

Doesn’t make sense to me. Audi NEVER treated me like this. They’d give me a loaner for an oil change. I hate to even bring Audi into this conversation, even to compare this situation to another manufacturer isn’t even in my character. But I’m just keeping real.
From my experience I've realized it's mainly a CJDR thing when it comes to loaners saying you didn't buy from us etc. BMW always had a loaner ready for me for any repairs so I understand where ur coming from.

This and the fact that I just dropped my wife's car of at the Audi dealership reminds me why I always purchase Audis and AMGs.

Her check engine light came on yesterday so this morning I run it to the dealership without an appointment. They immediately open the shop doors as I am driving up, asked what I need, says he will take it back and read the codes. He then said "follow me" and took me into the waiting room, showed me where to get coffee, water and snacks. He came back in 15 minutes later, said it was a bad leak module and they had it in stock. He said unfortunately it would take about 3 hours to fix it and I was welcome to wait, they could take me home or I could take a loaner. I let then drive me home.

Last time I went to the Ram dealership, it took >15 minutes for someone to even say that they would be with me in a few minutes which was another 10 minutes later.

And you like this dealer? I'd tell them to get bent and go find another Ram dealer. The Maxcare warranty should get you into a loaner immediately and unless than can prove the aftermarket bumper is more labor intensive to remove, there shouldn't be any cost to that.

Find another dealer and bring a bottle of whiskey to your SA as soon as you get there. Tell them you don't have time for bullshit and to take care of you and you'll do the same in return.

Westbury Jeep doesn't give loaners if u didn't buy from them. I went and bought out of state (NJ) since my monthly payment was almost $180 cheaper for the exact same car Westbury wanted to sell me lol. It's the whole CJDR group that does this bs and it's their way of making you buy their overpriced cars

The tale of two dealership:

My quick story is that my new truck had 6600 miles and six months my truck and on it’s own suddenly stopped and would not restart.

Had it towed to my dealer, not the dealer I purchased it from which was out of state for them to investigate what the hell is going on. It took almost 3 weeks for them to actually get to the truck because there’s only one engine mechanic under employ at this dealership. No big deal because I have another car that I can use that is a Maserati QuattroPorte so I’m not really suffering here.

What’s the mechanic was able to take out a couple of things he used his sneak camera to look and see what was going on inside and it wasn’t good, the supercharger had lost a bearing and it went through the screws shoot it all up and then all the intake manifold, and destroy the motor internally.

ok, shit happens…… they told me that rather than tearing the M tire motor apart and then ordering a butt load of parts that they would petition the mothership to get approval to install a brand supercharger and motor.

Now knowing that this is going to take a while, I asked my service girl if they had a loaner/courtesy car that I could use while my car was in the shop. They gave me a 2022 ram longhorn, which I absolutely freaking loved completely free of charge, just so you know, I had it for almost three months for free.

I know in my case, I bought my truck in Illinois and had it shipped out here to San Diego. What does fucking anything to do with any fucking warranty or any fucking loaner car issue it’s the warranty, that’s all that matters and you should escalate this because that’s bullshit.

So my story ends with, (knock on wood) I now have a brand new motor and a brand new supercharger and as a matter of fact, a brand new catalytic converter‘s as pieces pieces went into that as well, and I’m happier than a pig in slop. Good people did good things and couldn’t be happier with the end result. It’s so shitty that this process isn't the same across the country and you have to go through craziness like this is.

Good luck, brother, sending positive thoughts your way!.
I appreciate you sharing your story. This is A+ customer service from that dealership. This is how you maintain good customer relations. I'm so turned off by this dealer that I'm literally considering finding another RAM shop that will value me as a customer. This is the type of service I'm looking for from any dealer. I appreciate the positive vibes! Definitely remaining calm here as I know that I'll find a good shop to work with.

From my experience I've realized it's mainly a CJDR thing when it comes to loaners saying you didn't buy from us etc. BMW always had a loaner ready for me for any repairs so I understand where ur coming from.
This was my experience as well with Audi. Hoping this is not something I have to get used to.

This and the fact that I just dropped my wife's car of at the Audi dealership reminds me why I always purchase Audis and AMGs.

Her check engine light came on yesterday so this morning I run it to the dealership without an appointment. They immediately open the shop doors as I am driving up, asked what I need, says he will take it back and read the codes. He then said "follow me" and took me into the waiting room, showed me where to get coffee, water and snacks. He came back in 15 minutes later, said it was a bad leak module and they had it in stock. He said unfortunately it would take about 3 hours to fix it and I was welcome to wait, they could take me home or I could take a loaner. I let then drive me home.

Last time I went to the Ram dealership, it took >15 minutes for someone to even say that they would be with me in a few minutes which was another 10 minutes later.
This is the EXACT process I was used to coming from Audi! They sure know hospitality, and value you as a customer.

And you like this dealer? I'd tell them to get bent and go find another Ram dealer. The Maxcare warranty should get you into a loaner immediately and unless than can prove the aftermarket bumper is more labor intensive to remove, there shouldn't be any cost to that.

Find another dealer and bring a bottle of whiskey to your SA as soon as you get there. Tell them you don't have time for bullshit and to take care of you and you'll do the same in return.
Perfectly worded! A little gift goes a long way! I'll definitely have to give this a try!

Westbury Jeep doesn't give loaners if u didn't buy from them. I went and bought out of state (NJ) since my monthly payment was almost $180 cheaper for the exact same car Westbury wanted to sell me lol. It's the whole CJDR group that does this bs and it's their way of making you buy their overpriced cars
Exactly what I did! I got the TRX from Koons RAM in Tysons, VA. It was a preorder where I waited 8 months. But I got this truck at dealer cost which was the promotion at the time.

So I wait 8 months and get a $103K TRX build for $88k OR stay in NJ and pay $130k at a dealer that was scalping everyone? I chose the former! Now, I get treated like a pile of scrapped pork for doing what any normal person would've done. "Damned if you do, damned if you don't"

Back