Exhaust manifold leak??

madmaxtrx

TRX Fan
Gallery
Reaction score
Does anybody have any idea what the hell this exhaust leak noise could be or is it actually an exhaust leak? I had the same noise on my previous ram which was just a Laramie and they had found out that I had a cracked exhaust manifold and apparently they are known for that.

Just got mine yesterday and with 19 miles it makes the exact noise until it warms up. I haven't had a chance to speak with the service manager yet.

…that doesn’t sound like a 100,000 dollars to me. I’m seriously thinking of canceling my order. Tried to contact my dealer today but she didn’t return my call. Have had 2 Raptors and never a problem. May just keep my current truck with 28 ,000 miles. (2018 Raptor)

Commonly referred to as "Hemi Tick"...I don't think there is a TRX/Hellcat out there that doesn't make that sound

Mine does the same thing unfortunately. Doesn’t really affect the driving for me. It’s definitely annoying at times. I’m just hoping to get an exhaust loud enough to overpower it at idle. 😂 but again the sound comes from the engine and exhaust from the back lol

It's really not that big of a deal, at least for me. My G5 Viper's valvetrain was even louder than the TRX, I got used to it.

Last edited:
…that doesn’t sound like a 100,000 dollars to me. I’m seriously thinking of canceling my order. Tried to contact my dealer today but she didn’t return my call. Have had 2 Raptors and never a problem. May just keep my current truck with 28 ,000 miles. (2018 Raptor)
Honestly it’s been somewhat of a disappointment. I mean the video might not do it justice but the fucker sounds like a 100,000 mile truck and it’s barely broken in. Most irritating part is I contacted service at dealer where I bought it and they’re telling me it’s weeks before they get me in due to “being slammed”. Fucking people nowadays spent 100K like you said in a pos that sounds like shit.

It's really not that big of a deal, at least for me. My G5 Viper's valvetrain was even louder than the TRX, I got used to it.
I know it’s one of those “to each their own” but brother, my 2000 BMW M5 with stock motor with 100K doesn’t even sound anywhere near this thing. 22 year old car vs 22 days old. To me and my expectation it sounds like complete shit.

Mine does the same thing unfortunately. Doesn’t really affect the driving for me. It’s definitely annoying at times. I’m just hoping to get an exhaust loud enough to overpower it at idle. 😂 but again the sound comes from the engine and exhaust from the back lol
I truly think this is a bad exhaust leak. One way or another I’m going to get yo the bottom of it. Changing the oil soon and going to use a hyper lubricant (Motorkote) and see if that helps if it’s a lifter issue or idk where to even begin or what to do / not to do.

This loud? And Does anything help? Does it get worse or better over time or ever go away?

Just got mine yesterday and with 19 miles it makes the exact noise until it warms up. I haven't had a chance to speak with the service manager yet.
Welcome to the shitty ticky ticky noise club 🤣

Honestly it’s been somewhat of a disappointment. I mean the video might not do it justice but the fucker sounds like a 100,000 mile truck and it’s barely broken in. Most irritating part is I contacted service at dealer where I bought it and they’re telling me it’s weeks before they get me in due to “being slammed”. Fucking people nowadays spent 100K like you said in a pos that sounds like shit.
…that’s another concern to, the Ram dealer in my town sucks. Took in a work van to use as a test mule. The SA had major butt crack and was out 2 days over a doctors appointment. This is not the dealer I ordered my truck from but I could imagine explaining to him some some small matter that I know he wouldn’t care to hear. His name is “ Zeke” yes that’s what’s on his card. The other closest dealer is 40 miles

…that’s another concern to, the Ram dealer in my town sucks. Took in a work van to use as a test mule. The SA had major butt crack and was out 2 days over a doctors appointment. This is not the dealer I ordered my truck from but I could imagine explaining to him some some small matter that I know he wouldn’t care to hear. His name is “ Zeke” yes that’s what’s on his card. The other closest dealer is 40 miles
Hahaha. Man this is some comedy shit. Fact that we have a multitude of issues in the first 5-500 miles is actually beyond alarming. If I could do it all over, I’d not order the truck. Not worth it tbh with these issues. Maybe if it was before the current supply chain/employee shortage time, it would be more feasible for us to get these cars into dealers but nowadays with Zekes of the service department, you’ll get more booty crack show than actual service on your truck.

I know it’s one of those “to each their own” but brother, my 2000 BMW M5 with stock motor with 100K doesn’t even sound anywhere near this thing. 22 year old car vs 22 days old. To me and my expectation it sounds like complete shit.
Good luck trying to figure it out and I hope it's a simple fix.

10w-40 Amsoil. Problem solved.
Get rid of the garbage natural gas oil FCA uses. Therea a reason engine oil is pulled early in the process well before it reaches mid stream gas.

After you pull Natural gas from oil its been stripped of just about anything that would actually lubricate.

The real issue with hemi tick is dodge uses cheap Chinese lifters. The bleed rate is excessive amd doesn't allow the lifters to stay pumped long enough.

My 07 ram with a 5.7 hemi had the same issue. Delt with dealer for about a week. Then decided to change oil to 10w-30XL Amsoil 12k.
Wix filter ran the whole duration of 10k.
Have not had any engine problems or even close to a tick
For over 9 years. Thats also at 10k oil changes.

When my TRX arrives in a few weeks first thing im doing is changing everything over to Amsoil. Including Transmission fluid with a new filter.
Not even starting the break in with the garbage shell oil.

Just my 2 cents for whats it worth.
Good luck

Here is the Star document from Mopar on the TRX exhaust noise. As a owner and a technician that works on and PDI's these trucks they all make the noise unfortunately.
TRX Exhaust.PNG

Last edited:
Get rid of the garbage natural gas oil FCA uses. Therea a reason engine oil is pulled early in the process well before it reaches mid stream gas.

After you pull Natural gas from oil its been stripped of just about anything that would actually lubricate.

The real issue with hemi tick is dodge uses cheap Chinese lifters. The bleed rate is excessive amd doesn't allow the lifters to stay pumped long enough.

My 07 ram with a 5.7 hemi had the same issue. Delt with dealer for about a week. Then decided to change oil to 10w-30XL Amsoil 12k.

When my TRX arrives in a few weeks first thing im doing is changing everything over to Amsoil. Including Transmission fluid with a new filter.

Good luck
I just realized you said 10w-40. Why 10 instead of 0?

I did my first oil change at 1,000 with Mobile 1. Have a case of Signature Series 0w-40 Amsoil ready for the next change.

Good luck
I am going to change it to 5w50 redline since I already have it and see how it does. The fca oil they use is a fucking joke I agree with you. Thanks for the input

I just realized you said 10w-40. Why 10 instead of 0?

I did my first oil change at 1,000 with Mobile 1. Have a case of Signature Series 0w-40 Amsoil ready for the next change.
Kinetic viscosity,
noack volitilty %loss
sheer viscosity

All better specs on 10-w40. Little more protection.

Ive tried the signarure series a few times in my car and the wifes. Always had engine noise right around 5-700 miles. The signature series is too light in mu opion. Sent in a couple for oil analysis and always came back light. Reason I only run the XL series now. I run amsoil in everything. Dont even bother with anything else.

Tearing into engines along with lots of V8 race motors for circle track. Not seeing hardly any wear after a season running amsoil proved everything.

Be careful running Mobil. It sludges up starting ar 1k really quick.

Last edited:
Reactions: esm
Back