eBay Carbon Fiber/Leather Heated Steering Wheel

marksouth

TRX Junkie
Founding Member
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
TRX Launch Edition
So I took a chance on eBay with a Chinese steering wheel that stated it was for the TRX. I was very hopeful since the seller asked if I wanted to retain heating (yes) and whether it had paddle shifters. They even had me send pictures of the wheel to confirm everything.

It took about 2 months to receive the wheel because the seller got covid, and I think China was forcing lockdowns anyway, but they were great with communication. They notified me twice it was delayed and then contacted me to let me know when it shipped. Shipping was surprisingly quick. It only took about 4 business days with FedEx.

It arrived today and I pulled the old wheel off with the help of Tyler Potter’s Adaptive Cruise Control YouTube video (I don’t remember his forum name or I’d tag him), and the Vicrez Ram 1500 steering wheel swap video. I didn’t even have to disconnect the battery, I just pulled the horn fuse, like Tyler’s video.

The swap was pretty straight forward and easy to do, just making sure you get the connectors all pulled at the right times.

When I pulled the old wheel off, I flipped it over to compare it to the new wheel core before I did the full swap. I’d seen some horror stories of people buying aftermarket wheels that didn’t quite fit right, or caused clicking with the clock spring, and had to be ground a bit to seat right. This wheel matched perfectly.

Figment of the new wheel was pretty good. I did have to work the back cover quite a bit, especially over the bottom pegs. One small complaint was one of the heated wheel wires was a little short, so I couldn’t keep the left connector on the slot of the back of the case. I had to leave it loose so it would reach. No big deal, it’s out of the way.

The quality is really nice. It’s also substantially thicker than the OEM wheel. The pictures really don’t do it Justice on how thick it is. Overall, I’m really very happy with a “cheap” eBay knockoff.

I’ve put a picture of the seller if anyone is interested.

DB4E71FB-09C9-4C53-9F51-3F77DE6E2433.jpeg
A3FEEC7F-D236-4841-B979-92AE2F95D410.jpeg
552BFB6D-EAD4-4EE2-95B9-B7BD429242A2.jpeg
0E965042-CBCE-4A29-873C-B0757A3AA5D8.jpeg
DF288AE2-E48E-4107-B81C-87EACCB45F81.png
0C191042-5AC1-49AF-A0E0-D276E4DF27A1.png

Last edited:
Does the carbon wave on the new steering wheel matches your carbon interior pieces?

Does the carbon wave on the new steering wheel matches your carbon interior pieces?
Yes, the carbon weave is the same. The matte finish might be slightly different. The OEM carbon fiber seems just slightly glossier than the new wheel, but it’s a much better match than a gloss finish on the wheel. I’ll put a couple of pics below of the wheel and OEM carbon fiber.
6181FD86-970F-4F40-8038-F233036CA701.jpeg
27FC9FED-97D5-47BD-B1D8-6C0423AA1F5F.jpeg

Is this a re-covered or modified OEM steering wheel or something manufactured totally new?

Is this a re-covered or modified OEM steering wheel or something manufactured totally new?
Good question, but I'm not exactly sure. Since it's an eBay product from China, I'd suspect its a new core that's had the CF and leather added to it.

That is really a good price, compared to US sources.
Let us know how it holds up in the sun and heat.

Good question, but I'm not exactly sure. Since it's an eBay product from China, I'd suspect its a new core that's had the CF and leather added to it.
Ok might be worth finding out. Not to be that guy, but the steering wheel is an important piece to 'break right' in a crash. You don't want it to do anything it shouldn't if the worst happens.

Placed my order with Zen Carbon. Have messaged some here who have replaced their stock wheels and everyone seemed very happy with the switch. Some had problems installing but I think the shop I go to can figure ways to make this work.

I hate the Alcantara and how the skinny stock wheel looks. Went with gloss carbon and silver stitching to match my interior being I don't have the red accents. Hoping @BigRay drops us the carbon fiber kits so I can match the steering wheel. Looking forward to this. Will post pics after install. Got the leds for the times I feel like opening the cutouts and let her rip 😆. Can always shut them off and I have a regular wheel
Screenshot_20230118_070703_Samsung Internet.jpg

Mine wore and I cleaned it with Sonax with their special Alcantara brush.

It now looks worse and the worn look does bother me.I only drive my truck on the weekends, it has 11k miles, wonder if others driving daily have had similar issues?

My 2010 tundra had a “wood look” upper and lower portion of the wheel: always loved it, so the Carbon Fiber wheel, or a Limited wheel might need to make its way onto my truck at some point.

I’d be curious how well those finishes hold up to hand sanitizer though (my tundra was fine)

My father had an Audi TT with a full alcantera wheel: it held up pretty well all things considered (and I doubt he used any special cleaners)

Placed my order with Zen Carbon. Have messaged some here who have replaced their stock wheels and everyone seemed very happy with the switch. Some had problems installing but I think the shop I go to can figure ways to make this work.

I hate the Alcantara and how the skinny stock wheel looks. Went with gloss carbon and silver stitching to match my interior being I don't have the red accents. Hoping @BigRay drops us the carbon fiber kits so I can match the steering wheel. Looking forward to this. Will post pics after install. Got the leds for the times I feel like opening the cutouts and let her rip 😆. Can always shut them off and I have a regular wheelView attachment 85877
My zen carbon wheel should be completed in a week or two. I sent them a TRX core to use rather than relying on them (based on forum feedback) was discounted substantially because I supplied the core.

My zen carbon wheel should be completed in a week or two. I sent them a TRX core to use rather than relying on them (based on forum feedback) was discounted substantially because I supplied the core.
So did you just pay the 349 in that quote if you supplied the wheel?

Let us know how your wheel turns out. I have read of past issues and the ones here who I've communicated with love them besides initial instal problems.

I'm taking this to my trusted shop and will point out what others have encountered in past so it gets done without issues.

What specs did you go for your wheel?

My 2010 tundra had a “wood look” upper and lower portion of the wheel: always loved it, so the Carbon Fiber wheel, or a Limited wheel might need to make its way onto my truck at some point.

I’d be curious how well those finishes hold up to hand sanitizer though (my tundra was fine)

My father had an Audi TT with a full alcantera wheel: it held up pretty well all things considered (and I doubt he used any special cleaners)
The Limited wheel won't fit.

I'm not really in the market for this as I love the alcantara wheel so far but I was perusing the mentioned vendors and I'm just going to come right out and say it... I hate companies that can't figure out that Ram is not part of Dodge.

Back