Driving on the beach at Outer Banks

AW608

TRX Fanatic
Gallery
Reaction score
Anyone drive on the beach there ? Going later this year and have never been there before From what I've seen there in a 20 some mile section you can drive on and some roads/ trails. Are the trails/ roads wide enough to take the truck down on just stick to the beach ?

If it's the same place I am thinking they got wild horse on the beach . Should be a nice trip.

Corolla beach! We go every year. It’s the only 4x4 beach I know of out there. Great time. I’m taking mine for the first time this July. I’m from Ohio so it’ll be the first time mine sees the sand. I can’t wait! Hope you have fun.

Can’t speak for the “trails” you speak of… it’s either open beach or roads as far as I know.

Yeah that's the place .. on youtube I'm seen some peoples videos show random horses hanging out.

Taking the ferry to that other island looked pretty cool as well.

In one video I saw some jeeps and they drove down the beach and then cut off into these roads/ trails that had water holes/ mud holes. It was raining in the video so maybe normally its just roads but it didn't look real wide. The video was cut so I'm not sure if they went any distance or they really only went like a half mile lol

Yeah that's the place .. on youtube I'm seen some peoples videos show random horses hanging out.

Taking the ferry to that other island looked pretty cool as well.

In one video I saw some jeeps and they drove down the beach and then cut off into these roads/ trails that had water holes/ mud holes. It was raining in the video so maybe normally its just roads but it didn't look real wide. The video was cut so I'm not sure if they went any distance or they really only went like a half mile lol
We’re going for a week on July 8th. If you’re out there around the same time (and you see a granite trx ) pull up and grab a beer !!

We've been there a few times, took my TRX last year. You can drive on the beach but there are cut-thrus on the dunes where there are roads (sand trails) where you have a better chance of seeing wild horses. Having been there in the past with other trucks I will say some "roads" get narrow which I avoided last year cause of the width of the TRX.
obxtrx.jpg

horse1.jpg

Corolla beach! We go every year. It’s the only 4x4 beach I know of out there. Great time. I’m taking mine for the first time this July. I’m from Ohio so it’ll be the first time mine sees the sand. I can’t wait! Hope you have fun.
Yea love that place! We also rent a home on 4x4 beach and go down with my wife’s Rubicon running on 37”. We absolutely love it there. We go in October so it’s off season and it’s a blast. Not crowded at all and still in the mid 60 to 70’s.

Attachments

• 51066B8C-5F85-428B-A475-A6CCB86F1B7B.jpeg
    51066B8C-5F85-428B-A475-A6CCB86F1B7B.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 49
  • C51796E3-CCDD-424B-9CC6-453B6E4BEF68.jpeg
    C51796E3-CCDD-424B-9CC6-453B6E4BEF68.jpeg
    423.8 KB · Views: 49
  • F6CE1E5E-D902-41D8-BCB4-C5CF32D77B2C.jpeg
    F6CE1E5E-D902-41D8-BCB4-C5CF32D77B2C.jpeg
    413.4 KB · Views: 47
Stop at Corolla Village BBQ…nice folks and good food.

We’re going for a week on July 8th. If you’re out there around the same time (and you see a granite trx ) pull up and grab a beer !!
👍 Were going in May, hopefully truck shows up before then lol

We've been there a few times, took my TRX last year. You can drive on the beach but there are cut-thrus on the dunes where there are roads (sand trails) where you have a better chance of seeing wild horses. Having been there in the past with other trucks I will say some "roads" get narrow which I avoided last year cause of the width of the TRX.
View attachment 90039
View attachment 90040
Those roads must have been what I saw in the video but I wasn't sure what is was. Looked like a fun place to drive around.

Yea love that place! We also rent a home on 4x4 beach and go down with my wife’s Rubicon running on 37”. We absolutely love it there. We go in October so it’s off season and it’s a blast. Not crowded at all and still in the mid 60 to 70’s.
Were staying in Salvo but I plan to drive al over and look around. I'm not a beach person but I'm out numbered so I'm going hahah
I saw there was some fun driving things to do and I was ok with going.

That's the only problem I could see it being an absolute parade the entire time trying to get around.

Been to All of the beaches you can drive on in NC. Ocracoke is an outer banks island which requires a ferry ride to get to. Once on the island the easiest way around is via golf on the roads and around the island.
However If you have children the northern part of NC coast are the best for you.
Most economical way for a trip is enter the island the outer banks in the kitty Hawk area. Hotels / motels many restaurants souvenirs etc…. Plan your trip according knowing the beach looks close but leaving at the wrong time in the morning could leave you with a bumper to bumper wait - so make sure your are loaded with provisions for the day. Miles of sand for areas to park once you hit the sand.

I have stayed and 4 wheeled entire coast many times so ask away if you have any questions - let me know what type of vacation you are seeking and I can help you with the right locations

This was in my jku in the Carova area

Attachments

• IMG_1363.jpeg
    IMG_1363.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 409385FA-EF40-4339-B514-B689DA876D79.jpeg
    409385FA-EF40-4339-B514-B689DA876D79.jpeg
    265.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1368.jpeg
    IMG_1368.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Took a 2020 Tundra Overland build to Ocracoke , it was part of an Instagram build.

Attachments

• IMG_4011.jpeg
    IMG_4011.jpeg
    792.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1288.jpeg
    IMG_1288.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3971.jpeg
    IMG_3971.jpeg
    335 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3931.jpeg
    IMG_3931.jpeg