Driveshaft clunk explanation

Rob_

TRX Member
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 ram trx
This is the very first time in a year and a half of ownership I’ve ever seen anyone describe WHY the driveshaft clunks. It’s driven me insane. I’m sure plenty people might know why but everyone always states the temporary fix procedure. Not even the aftermarket parts selling driveshafts for oodles of money explain what they did different.
IMG_1202.jpeg

This is the very first time in a year and a half of ownership I’ve ever seen anyone describe WHY the driveshaft clunks. It’s driven me insane. I’m sure plenty people might know why but everyone always states the temporary fix procedure. Not even the aftermarket parts selling driveshafts for oodles of money explain what they did different. View attachment 127278
Hmmm i think it didn’t hurt anything yet, but soon enough it will. I don’t know just saying

Hmmm i think it didn’t hurt anything yet, but soon enough it will. I don’t know just saying
Yeah I’m posting about the top comment. I don’t agree that it won’t hurt anything either. It’s gotta hurt the transmission. It sucks but every time I brake up to a red light, I creep forward to take the slack out before I take off

Been explained many times on here by myself and others. We even have GoPro videos from under the vehicle. Use the search function and you will see thousands of posts on about a dozen threads.

Short answer, splines on the slip yoke bind under the right loading condition. Lack of grease, improper spline geometry and too low hardness of the splines are all the likely causes. Driveshaft geometry and suspension on the TRX lead to longer stroke on the slip yoke than a standard 1500 which displaces greases faster and makes the clunk more pronounced and reoccur faster. But the problem is across all Rams…not just the TRX.

Been explained many times on here by myself and others. We even have GoPro videos from under the vehicle. Use the search function and you will see thousands of posts on about a dozen threads.

Short answer, splines on the slip yoke bind under the right loading condition. Lack of grease, improper spline geometry and too low hardness of the splines are all the likely causes. Driveshaft geometry and suspension on the TRX lead to longer stroke on the slip yoke than a standard 1500 which displaces greases faster and makes the clunk more pronounced and reoccur faster. But the problem is across all Rams…not just the TRX.

Man am I a retard! Thanks o wise one

Yeah I’m posting about the top comment. I don’t agree that it won’t hurt anything either. It’s gotta hurt the transmission. It sucks but every time I brake up to a red light, I creep forward to take the slack out before I take off
You can also shift to neutral then back to drive at the stoplight, it relieves the binding and will not clunk.

You can also shift to neutral then back to drive at the stoplight, it relieves the binding and will not clunk.
Nice! I’ll keep it in mind if I have to stop too close to someone. Aside from that I’d rather keep it as inconspicuous as possible with passengers that my 100 grand truck clunks if I stop too quick lol

There is a service bulletin. They didn’t use enough or maybe proper grease. They will remove use a balljoint grease and put a new rubber boot.Free of charge. The dealer said solves the problem permanently. Mines going in next friday to have it done. Time will tell if it works.

There is a service bulletin. They didn’t use enough or maybe proper grease. They will remove use a balljoint grease and put a new rubber boot.Free of charge. The dealer said solves the problem permanently. Mines going in next friday to have it done. Time will tell if it works.
I had mine done a year ago and the clunk is back. Out of warranty now so not sure if I'm just going to buy the kit myself and install it. That way no week at the dealer for a 15 minute fix.

Kit comes with grease, boot, clamps and screws need to do it.

Part # 68597433AA

TSB 03-004-22

Last edited:
Been down that route 6 times as well as new driveshaft. Clunk back this week as soon as it got warm outside. Your dealer doesn’t know jack lol. Also it’s the slip yoke, not ball joint. Check out the thousands of the posts on here for others that have done the same. So far there is no permanent fix.

I had mine done a year ago and the clunk is back. Out of warranty now so not sure if I'm just going to buy the kit myself and install it. That way no week at the dealer for a 15 minute fix.

Part # 68597433AA

TSB 03-004-22

The Mopar kit is pretty expensive. I would just cut off one clamp, grease the splines with a quality grease, reuse the old boot and bolts, then reinstall another Oetiker clamp on the boot.

The Mopar kit is pretty expensive. I would just cut off one clamp, grease the splines with a quality grease, reuse the old boot and bolts, then reinstall another Oetiker clamp on the boot.
Retail is 99.85, I know the guys in the parts department so my cost is only 74.89. No too much IMHO. Ordered today will be here tomorrow.

Part # 68597433AA

TSB 03-004-22
Good to know thanks. When and if mine starts clunking again i will look into a better quality grease.

Retail is 99.85, I know the guys in the parts department so my cost is only 74.89. No too much IMHO. Ordered today will be here tomorrow.

I agree that $70 isn't much money, but why spend that much when you can do it much cheaper? Even if you need to replace the stock clamp, it's only ~$10 for 7 clamps through McMaster-Carr. You can buy a tube of grease for less than $10 and it will last you a lifetime.

Good to know thanks. When and if mine starts clunking again i will look into a better quality grease.
Personally found the dealers grease to be one of the least effective at fixing the problem (only lasted 4K miles). Other options lasted longer (up to 8k miles).

I agree that $70 isn't much money, but why spend that much when you can do it much cheaper? Even if you need to replace the stock clamp, it's only ~$10 for 7 clamps through McMaster-Carr. You can buy a tube of grease for less than $10 and it will last you a lifetime.

Do you need a specialty tool to clamp those?

Is the clunk repair only for 3 year/36k or did RAM extend the warranty? Of course my warranty just ended a few days ago and today I felt the clunk for the first time 🤦‍♂️

I’ve reused everything including the original clamp several times now. I tried the Ford PTFE last time around and seems to have done the best. But no matter what…once the splines are dry, that’s it. There’s no magic grease that will fix this permanently.
Do you need a specialty tool to clamp those?
Some pliers like these will do the trick:

Anybody used Honda grease? I’ve got a good amount of mechanic friends always bragging on how good Honda grease in particular performs

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers SDHQ Motorsports
Back