Drive Shaft Disconnected

Geez, I can only imagine how frustrating this must be. Hope they get it back together for you soon.

Just a thought…. Although aftermarket shock manufacturers are currently experiencing way longer than normal wait times, I wonder if there’s an aftermarket solution for the front coilovers….

Reactions: qak
After being frustrated for this long, I ordered a 2022 last week.

Should we start a pool on which will be in the driveway first- the 2021 with a new shock or the 2022 with a shock that has not broken yet?

I have started the conversation with Ram Cares about buying back the 2021. Their legal department is supposed to reach out to me this week.

Let's hope that there's a '22 order already in the pipeline, identical or close to yours.

I'm not a betting man, but as mentioned in my earlier post, I think the '22 could happen sooner.
Unless...your '22 arrives missing the parts needed to fix your current one. In which case you know what happened.

I stopped by to talk to the Service Manager after I ordered the new truck. I saw a black TRX on the lot (much cleaner than my filthy blue one in the back). I looked at the truck and told the service manager I would have a shock for him to install tomorrow if that TRX stayed on the lot overnight. At this point, I think he actually wondered if I was joking or not.

My '22 order is very similar to the '21 I ordered. I did not like the Ram tonneau cover very much and there are a lot of aftermarket options that you guys like. I did add the Safety Group. I have never had adaptive cruise control but a lot of people here like it so I figured I would try it out. I thought I was going to lose the HUD, but after taking a peek around here, it looks like it will be on the LVL 2 anyway. I did not have the HK stereo on the '21 but should have it on '22 also in the LVL 2.

Not that anyone cares, but I figured I would (almost) close out the broken axle story.

The truck was at the dealership for 87 days total. Bilstein finally provided a shock and it was installed along with a new diff and cv axle. Then the fun with Ram began....

Ram Cares kicked me to a different person to negotiatiate the "cash settlement" They came at me with $6500 cash AND a 8 yr/100,000 mile zero dollar deductable warranty OR a straight $7500 cash settlement. I do not think the 8yr/100,000 mile warranty with a zero dollar deductable is publicly available. It is only available through Ram Cares as part of their settlement program. I did try to negotiate and threaten to use the buy back program in which case the car would have a blemish on the title. It did not phase them at all and they would not increase the cash settlement offers.

In addition, they would transfer me to the buy back department and go through the lemon law process in California. The CA lemon law is very favorable to the consumer (one of the few good things about the state). It would pay me back for the purchase price (including any ADMs), taxes, other transaction fees, attorney fees, and then deduct mileage based on a life of 120,000 miles (I had less than 1200 when it happened- the formula was purchase price divided by 120,000 multiplied by the mileage when it went to the dealer= ~$880 for me). Once I said I wanted an attorney to review a buy back contract, they wanted to send me directly to their legal department. I did not opt for the buy back so did not have to go that far.

Ram did tell me that if I started the buy back process and then changed my mind, they would reduce the cash settlement in order to pay the 3rd party buy back fees.

For the cash settlement, they asked me to send them a scan of the registration and a driver license for each owner on the registration.

I am waiting for the check to be cut and sent to me. I have received the emails with the warranty information and need to register on their website.

I got the truck back in the middle of October and it has taken these three months to muddle through what I just wrote.

I thought about contacting an attorney, but I did not think I would recoup the $300-$400 an hour they would charge me for assistance. I would have definitely had a lawyer review the contract if I went the buy back route.

Hope that helps in case anyone is in the situation.

I do not think the 8yr/100,000 mile warranty with a zero dollar deductable is publicly available. It is only available through Ram Cares as part of their settlement program.
Sure it is - it's plan code WMX8100N, and dealer cost on it is $8415

1641952420254.png

Given that, I would have taken their offer of the cash + the warranty, as I would have considered that just shy of a $15,000 total settlement.

I guess I did not scroll down enough.

I knew it was a pretty expensive plan and that is the reason I took the cash and warranty. I plan on keeping the truck and it may be a good selling point if I were to get rid of it. Definitely worth it over only $1k without it.

Not that anyone cares, but I figured I would (almost) close out the broken axle story.

The truck was at the dealership for 87 days total. Bilstein finally provided a shock and it was installed along with a new diff and cv axle. Then the fun with Ram began....

Ram Cares kicked me to a different person to negotiatiate the "cash settlement" They came at me with $6500 cash AND a 8 yr/100,000 mile zero dollar deductable warranty OR a straight $7500 cash settlement. I do not think the 8yr/100,000 mile warranty with a zero dollar deductable is publicly available. It is only available through Ram Cares as part of their settlement program. I did try to negotiate and threaten to use the buy back program in which case the car would have a blemish on the title. It did not phase them at all and they would not increase the cash settlement offers.

In addition, they would transfer me to the buy back department and go through the lemon law process in California. The CA lemon law is very favorable to the consumer (one of the few good things about the state). It would pay me back for the purchase price (including any ADMs), taxes, other transaction fees, attorney fees, and then deduct mileage based on a life of 120,000 miles (I had less than 1200 when it happened- the formula was purchase price divided by 120,000 multiplied by the mileage when it went to the dealer= ~$880 for me). Once I said I wanted an attorney to review a buy back contract, they wanted to send me directly to their legal department. I did not opt for the buy back so did not have to go that far.

Ram did tell me that if I started the buy back process and then changed my mind, they would reduce the cash settlement in order to pay the 3rd party buy back fees.

For the cash settlement, they asked me to send them a scan of the registration and a driver license for each owner on the registration.

I am waiting for the check to be cut and sent to me. I have received the emails with the warranty information and need to register on their website.

I got the truck back in the middle of October and it has taken these three months to muddle through what I just wrote.

I thought about contacting an attorney, but I did not think I would recoup the $300-$400 an hour they would charge me for assistance. I would have definitely had a lawyer review the contract if I went the buy back route.

Hope that helps in case anyone is in the situation.
I just got done reading this as I am waiting on my 22 trx and its interesting finding out about the weak links. Thank you for following up on the process and how they treated you. I would have taken the 6500 and warranty too, its unreal how hard it is to get parts to fix anything anymore. Hopefully itll be good for you from here on out!

Wow - it looks like the stub shaft coming out of the diff actually sheared., possibly right at the snap ring groove. I think the clunking sound you heard was the CV axle thumping back and forth on the stub shaft, due to the snap ring not holding it in place. At one point, during enough flex to partially pull the CV axle off of the stub shaft, you got on the throttle, and all the torque going to that side of the diff was twisting against the CV shaft with only partial engagement, and it snapped the sucker right off.

You've got a new CV axle and a new front differential in your future... along with a couple of cans of Gunk Engine Brite.
You are correct, you can see the remaining piece of the output shaft still in the CV axle. Snapped!

Back