Drive home wondering about the break in advice

Takticsz

TRX Member
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
Dodge Challenger scat pack
Hello I’m hopefully getting my truck soon and will be needing to drive it from VA to FL which is like 1000 miles , I don’t wanna ship it so I’m going to drive it. But I wanted to about breaking in the motor, I was planning on stopping for 2 days to cool down the engine in between the trip down. Or 1 day sleep somewhere, I plan on doing the 55 mph and stuff but wondering about the cool down and stuff. Any one knows or has done this before ? Thanksssssssss

Hello I’m hopefully getting my truck soon and will be needing to drive it from VA to FL which is like 1000 miles , I don’t wanna ship it so I’m going to drive it. But I wanted to about breaking in the motor, I was planning on stopping for 2 days to cool down the engine in between the trip down. Or 1 day sleep somewhere, I plan on doing the 55 mph and stuff but wondering about the cool down and stuff. Any one knows or has done this before ? Thanksssssssss
BABY it for 500 miles and @Bambi it rest of the way 🤘

Last edited:
Don't park that sucker too long someone might want it more than you

I'm in same boat, doing OH to FL next week...I just don't want to risk parking it at a random hotel to spend the night. I'll see how the drive goes on the way up and then judge if I do it in a single stretch on the way back. Might be the only time this truck sees snow too!

I'm in same boat, doing OH to FL next week...I just don't want to risk parking it at a random hotel to spend the night. I'll see how the drive goes on the way up and then judge if I do it in a single stretch on the way back. Might be the only time this truck sees snow too!
Hey, don't risk falling asleep at the wheel.

If you need to stop somewhere and are worried about vehicle theft pop the hood at yank the starter and or fuel pump relays or fuses. I've had to do that when working on the road before.

Hey, don't risk falling asleep at the wheel.

If you need to stop somewhere and are worried about vehicle theft pop the hood at yank the starter and or fuel pump relays or fuses. I've had to do that when working on the road before.
Some thieves will bring a flat bed and haul it out.

Another idea might be… park it at a police station then Uber to the hotel.

Take some back roads in VA. or just take the interstate and left lane camp at 55 like all the other assholes do around here.

I'm guessing you are flying up? If so, I would buy some blankets and just sleep in it if I got tired. Would suck for sure if it got stolen while you were several hundred miles from home.

I did Ohio to Virginia with mine for about 480 miles. The first 100 miles sucked but after that I was generally able to keep up with traffic following the break in requirements.

I assume your purchasing from Koons, plan to leave Tysons around 4 pm and you will be lucky to be able to do 55mph at any point between NOVA and Richmond anyways lol.

Biggest thing is not to stay at the same RPM for an extended period of time.

No cruise control !!!!
Used-2021-Ram-1500-TRX-PICKUP-TECH-PKG-CARBON-FIBER-PKG-TRX-LEVEL-2-PKG.jpg

I didn't even think about the 55 "limit", but I will not be adhering to that lol. I have over 1,000 miles to get home, so I'll be damned if I'm going to putz at 55 mph in a 700 hp truck. I think it will be fine, as long as you don't drag race the thing.

I plan to get a hotel about half way... my biggest concern will be leaving it parked in the lot of the hotel, between the thefts and someone just damaging it (whether it be a door ding, bag scrapes, sideswipe, etc.). I'll be doing some Google Maps research before booking my room haha.

Take some back roads in VA. or just take the interstate and left lane camp at 55 like all the other assholes do around here.

I'm guessing you are flying up? If so, I would buy some blankets and just sleep in it if I got tired. Would suck for sure if it got stolen while you were several hundred miles from home.

Hmmm, not a horrible idea but I would much rather get a hotel LOL. These Hellcat motors are definitely hot on the thieves radar, but I feel a hotel theft would be a very one-off situation. These trucks don't stick out horribly IMO, so I don't think the truck would be around the area long enough to be really seen..

Hmmm.... if you are doing 55 on I95, you might get pulled over, or run over...
I would not worry too much... just made that trip 15 days ago to central FL... As someone else stated, the first 2 hours.. from Koons to say Richmond could be slower... Construction on I95 south of Fredericksburg.. both sides.. I know the area around Koons if you need anything...

Holy hell, guys driving your TRX on the highway at speed will not cause harm to anything. Pick it up, drive it home and enjoy. Stop overthinking it. Just don’t redline it for first 500 miles. Check oil at every fuel stop. Get home, change oil, enjoy it!!!

I am going to buy a remote controlled relay and wire it in to the fuel pump fuse.
I will carry the second fob to activate or deactivate the fuel pump.
They might break in, but they will NOT get the truck!

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com
Back