Drive home wondering about the break in advice

OnTheReel

TRX Junkie
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 TRX
Knowing that a 1000 mile highway trip is the antithesis of any break-in procedure ever…if I had to long distance drive something brand new…at a minimum the first couple hundred miles would be around town, stop and go, fairly low speeds. Frequent cool downs.

It’s not what anyone wants to hear. But going right off the lot and up to 75 MPH will put a ton of undue heat and stress into the entire drivetrain, oxidize the oils, and very likely shorten the life everything.

Break-in is laying a foundation, do it right.

MAMMOTHTRX

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Knowing that a 1000 mile highway trip is the antithesis of any break-in procedure ever…if I had to long distance drive something brand new…at a minimum the first couple hundred miles would be around town, stop and go, fairly low speeds. Frequent cool downs.

It’s not what anyone wants to hear. But going right off the lot and up to 75 MPH will put a ton of undue heat and stress into the entire drivetrain, oxidize the oils, and very likely shorten the life everything.

Break-in is laying a foundation, do it right.

84 Sheepdog

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
22 TRX, 22 Audi S5, 84/04 Jeep, 98 Viper GTS
Just a heads up, the break in procedure listed in the Ram owners manual for gasoline engines isn't the correct one to follow. The correct break-in procedure is in the TRX "Performance Features Guide", here it is:
TRX Break-in Procdure.jpg

I made the drive from the dealership in Delaware, OH to Dallas, TX in mine and followed this somehow. It's sure hard to stay out of the throttle and keep the speed down those first 300 miles especially. 😁

RedEyeTRX

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Current Ride
2019 Hellcat Redeye
Holy hell, guys driving your TRX on the highway at speed will not cause harm to anything. Pick it up, drive it home and enjoy. Stop overthinking it. Just don’t redline it for first 500 miles. Check oil at every fuel stop. Get home, change oil, enjoy it!!!
You would be incorrect.
If you dont follow the break in, RAM can deny your powertrain warranty claims!
Case history, my 2019 Hellcat Redeye.
I followed the break in to a T.......including documenting the oil changes all the way up to 2500 miles. Decided to trade it in on a 2022 TRX. Dealer sold my RE the same day. New owner took it to the track, ran the piss out of it, overheated it and seized the engine. New owner calls the dealership and says the car just "quit running". After tearing into the engine they find the seized pistons. They look at the computer, which tells them the miles when damage occurred, speeds, RPMs, temps, etc. The new owner TRIES to blame me, saying the first owner abused it and its his fault. Dealership says NOPE, we have the computer record (Performance Pages) that tells us exactly WHEN and WHO did the damage. WARRANTY VOIDED and car VIN flagged in the system !

PP also tells us that the first owner broke the car in properly and did not abuse it. PP tells us that from 2500 miles on the car was run hard, overheated and abused by the second owner.

Just when you think no one is looking...........they are!

RedEyeTRX

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Current Ride
2019 Hellcat Redeye
Hello I’m hopefully getting my truck soon and will be needing to drive it from VA to FL which is like 1000 miles , I don’t wanna ship it so I’m going to drive it. But I wanted to about breaking in the motor, I was planning on stopping for 2 days to cool down the engine in between the trip down. Or 1 day sleep somewhere, I plan on doing the 55 mph and stuff but wondering about the cool down and stuff. Any one knows or has done this before ? Thanksssssssss
Dont listen to ANYONE telling you the break in is "no big deal" or "drive it like you stole it". The computer is recording EVERYTHING (speed, temp, RPM, etc.). If you have a warranty issue in the future, RAM can use the info in the computer to deny your claim.

Scroll down for my story about my 2019 RE that I traded in on my TRX. Second owner abused it, overheated it and blew the engine. He said it just "stopped running" Perfomance Pages ratted him out.....NO WARRANTY.

MAMMOTHTRX

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Dont listen to ANYONE telling you the break in is "no big deal" or "drive it like you stole it". The computer is recording EVERYTHING (speed, temp, RPM, etc.). If you have a warranty issue in the future, RAM can use the info in the computer to deny your claim.

Scroll down for my story about my 2019 RE that I traded in on my TRX. Second owner abused it, overheated it and blew the engine. He said it just "stopped running" Perfomance Pages ratted him out.....NO WARRANTY.
Break in period is a recommendation. Won't void your warranty. Go up and look at the post of the manual. Now that doesn't include obvious abuse just like after the break in period

RedEyeTRX

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Current Ride
2019 Hellcat Redeye
Break in period is a recommendation. Won't void your warranty. Go up and look at the post of the manual. Now that doesn't include obvious abuse just like after the break in period
Okay, good luck with that.
My buddy who is a GM at a Dodge dealership says different. If you have a motor issue, and you didnt follow break in they can void or refuse warranty.

MAMMOTHTRX

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Okay, good luck with that.
My buddy who is a GM at a Dodge dealership says different. If you have a motor issue, and you didnt follow break in they can void or refuse warranty.
With all due respect he can say whatever he wants but unless it clearly states in the warranty or in the manual it doesn't mean shit. If it voids the warranty it would say exactly that not a recommendation. Once again does not cover clear abuse

Dudebro

TRX Junkie
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
22 TRX
Current Ride #2
97 ram 2500 Cummins, 2013 Chevrolet Volt, 2012 Ducati Monster 1100 evo
If it came down to it and you had to go to court, break in wouldn't matter when it comes to warranty because the break in is recommended, not required. That said, you're buying a badass truck and I'd imagine you want to take care of it. 1-2 days of less exciting driving to give it the highest likelihood of reliability in the future is worth it to me.

OP
OP
T

Takticsz

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
Dodge Challenger scat pack
Damnnnn man lol I love this forum!! Good replies and yeah after thinking of it ima do the 100 miles around town and then start the drive home, take a 1 night somewhere ( I have to look for the best hotel that has security or a gated option where I can park the beast cause yeah that sh*^ will suck if I get it stolen and I’m with my wife. Going to do that research today) and then follow the break in recommendation , I got a 15’ scat pack and I followed the break in and it has been real good to me so far and it has 86k miles but also I got lifetime warranty until 2099 or 999,999 miles lol I’m planning on buying the warranty with someone on this forum this weekend too , i have been reading this forum everyday since I ordered and before it too. I know after the 500 miles I’m going to enjoy the **** out of this truck and got my first mods ready for it !! ( maybe a satin orange chrome wrap) cause I saw a IE and cot damn she is sexy !! Also I ordered this truck having never owned a truck or sat in one or test drove or nothing lol , just saw the deal, love srt and ordered !!

BDS TRX

TRX Fiend
Reaction score
Current Ride
2012 Supercharged Challenger R/T+ / 2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Current Ride #2
2013 Harley Davidson Road Glide
Damnnnn man lol I love this forum!! Good replies and yeah after thinking of it ima do the 100 miles around town and then start the drive home,

I too will be driving my new Truck home soon from southeastern PA, some 900 miles to middle TN.

Considering all the stormy weather fronts showing up in the coming days, I would think the under 55 will be easily completed without having to drive around town aimlessly for the first 100 miles. I've actually given this a whole lot of thought in the past four months I've been waiting in D status!!!

BREAK IN :

- First 2 hours at no more than 55 mph / no more than 3500 rpm for the first 100 miles. Fill up, check oil.
- Next 3 hours at no more than 70 mph / no more than 5000 rpm for 200 more miles. Fill up, check oil.
- Next 3 hours at no more than 85 mph / full RPM range. Go 200 more miles. Fill up, check oil.

Boom! all of a sudden you have completed your 500 mile break-in! ( without having to waste 2+ hours of time )

The snowy weather will slow things down drastically as you make your way home. And, if worse comes to worse and the weather is fine, then you just slow yourself down to within break-in limits. And it's really only an issue for those first 100. You won't be going over 5000 RPM with casual freeway driving.

Whichever you decide, be safe and have fun! I know I will be!!!

TReX-RAM

TRX Addict 💉
Reaction score
Current Ride
TReX
Damnnnn man lol I love this forum!! Good replies and yeah after thinking of it ima do the 100 miles around town and then start the drive home, take a 1 night somewhere ( I have to look for the best hotel that has security or a gated option where I can park the beast cause yeah that sh*^ will suck if I get it stolen and I’m with my wife. Going to do that research today) and then follow the break in recommendation , I got a 15’ scat pack and I followed the break in and it has been real good to me so far and it has 86k miles but also I got lifetime warranty until 2099 or 999,999 miles lol I’m planning on buying the warranty with someone on this forum this weekend too , i have been reading this forum everyday since I ordered and before it too. I know after the 500 miles I’m going to enjoy the **** out of this truck and got my first mods ready for it !! ( maybe a satin orange chrome wrap) cause I saw a IE and cot damn she is sexy !! Also I ordered this truck having never owned a truck or sat in one or test drove or nothing lol , just saw the deal, love srt and ordered !!
On my way home a stopped at a hotel in Kansas somewhere for 5 hours. I asked the clerk to find me an available room that I can see my truck from the window and it had to be on the first floor. She was really cool and worked with me. I wasn't going to be able to stop the bad guy if they really wanted it but at least I might be able to throw a boot at them! :ROFLMAO:

Dudebro

TRX Junkie
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
22 TRX
Current Ride #2
97 ram 2500 Cummins, 2013 Chevrolet Volt, 2012 Ducati Monster 1100 evo
For the hotel option, just find something that has valet with an underground lot. It'll be locked up and you won't be liable for anything.

SexyTexyRexy

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 Ram Rebel
Military
Army
Some thieves will bring a flat bed and haul it out.

Another idea might be… park it at a police station then Uber to the hotel.
I can’t tell if you are joking or not…but a very real part of me is thinking…that actually is a great idea haha. I wonder if they would go for that.

Wscott002

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Current Ride
Ram 2500 Cummins, Grand Cherokee Limited X, Harley CVO Street Glide
Military
NAVY
I too will be driving my new Truck home soon from southeastern PA, some 900 miles to middle TN.

Considering all the stormy weather fronts showing up in the coming days, I would think the under 55 will be easily completed without having to drive around town aimlessly for the first 100 miles. I've actually given this a whole lot of thought in the past four months I've been waiting in D status!!!

BREAK IN :

- First 2 hours at no more than 55 mph / no more than 3500 rpm for the first 100 miles. Fill up, check oil.
- Next 3 hours at no more than 70 mph / no more than 5000 rpm for 200 more miles. Fill up, check oil.
- Next 3 hours at no more than 85 mph / full RPM range. Go 200 more miles. Fill up, check oil.

Boom! all of a sudden you have completed your 500 mile break-in! ( without having to waste 2+ hours of time )

The snowy weather will slow things down drastically as you make your way home. And, if worse comes to worse and the weather is fine, then you just slow yourself down to within break-in limits. And it's really only an issue for those first 100. You won't be going over 5000 RPM with casual freeway driving.

Whichever you decide, be safe and have fun! I know I will be!!!
This sounds like what I've got planned for the drive from SE Pa. back for Jacksonville, FL. Planning on a 2 day trip.

BDS TRX

TRX Fiend
Reaction score
Current Ride
2012 Supercharged Challenger R/T+ / 2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Current Ride #2
2013 Harley Davidson Road Glide
This sounds like what I've got planned for the drive from SE Pa. back for Jacksonville, FL. Planning on a 2 day trip.

2-day here as well. well, kinda'

. . . to be quite frank, I will likely end up just napping in the truck for a few hours somewhere in the middle of it all.

One - I'll be so wound up and excited, not sure how I would sleep anyway. And two - I'll be so paranoid with no security measures installed so sleeping in it sounds reasonable. They're super comfy I hear!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

g_force

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
JK Rubi Unlimited
If you've a modicum of mechanical aptitude, to keep it safe while at the hotel, pulling the fuel pump or starter relays doesn't require any tools and just takes a couple of minutes. That would thwart most thieves. They don't want to have to pop the hood to steal your truck.

Fifty

TRX Addict
Reaction score
Military
USMC/Leo/Zookeeper
Hmmmm... or for us retired LEO's... Drive into the PD... "Hey Im here to do a patch swap....er...btw...mind if I leave this in the lot overnight while im in town?

OP
OP
T

Takticsz

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
On my way home a stopped at a hotel in Kansas somewhere for 5 hours. I asked the clerk to find me an available room that I can see my truck from the window and it had to be on the first floor. She was really cool and worked with me. I wasn't going to be able to stop the bad guy if they really wanted it but at least I might be able to throw a boot at them! :ROFLMAO:
Lmao !!!!! Na I’m taking a bat with me like I play baseball and bam lol I use to play football and baseball

OP
OP
T

Takticsz

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
If you've a modicum of mechanical aptitude, to keep it safe while at the hotel, pulling the fuel pump or starter relays doesn't require any tools and just takes a couple of minutes. That would thwart most thieves. They don't want to have to pop the hood to steal your truck.
Oh yeah I do, I change all oils and parts out of my cars. Only thing I don’t do is deal with motors insides and transmissions , but everything else I can do and I will look into that during my road trip. Once I get it home I’m planning on making a kill switch , I saw ravdelco thing but I don’t like the fact it needs that special thing the whole time , that’s just me

Latest Discussions...

RAM TRX Forum Supporting Member Badge

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Sam Leman Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM Morton Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM EBC Brakes StopwatchUSA.com