DIY Ceramic Coatings

SneekEm

Holla
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2022 Trx
I have the knowledge to do paint correction and ceramic coatings, i've done then on many of my own vehicles as well as my friends & family's vehicles, so I know how to do it properly and have the space to do it.

I haven't bought a ceramic coating for awhile, so I am just wondering what coatings you guys are using nowadays? Last coating I used a friend supplied, it went over his whole PPF wrapped car, he gave me "CARPRO CQUARTZ Skin PPF & Vinyl Nano-Coat" - it worked great.

My 2022 TRX should be here this month and I want to order a good coating so I can coat it the week I get the truck. It will be going in for PPF and Tint day 1, so when I get it back I want to give the truck a good coating and would love to order it this week.

Also, what coatings are you guys using on the plastic trim on the exterior of these trucks?

I used the same on my trackhawk
For my truck I used ethos graphene. It can be used on both paint and plastic. As far as longevity I’ve only had it on since March but it’s held up nicely. It’s supposed too be a 3-5 year coating, we’ll see. Application was way easier than ceramic and the price is on par with ceramic.

Is Paint Correction really needed? I get that people do it because you can't really go back after ceramic and do it, but I've never had an issue with factory paint or corrected it in my life so figured maybe skip that expense.

Is Paint Correction really needed? I get that people do it because you can't really go back after ceramic and do it, but I've never had an issue with factory paint or corrected it in my life so figured maybe skip that expense.
My factory paint came complete with swirls and plenty of orange peel. Some colors hide it better than others and some folks will honestly never see it. It’s kind of like audiophiles that can hear differences in sound quality that I don’t notice. If you have never noticed paint needing correction then your eyes probably just are setup to notice it. Usually once you see it though, you can’t unsee it.

On a brand new vehicle, probably not. I’ll still run a DA over it with prior to coating. We I’ll see how it looks after PPF.

White is pretty forgiving.

My factory paint came complete with swirls and plenty of orange peel. Some colors hide it better than others and some folks will honestly never see it. It’s kind of like audiophiles that can hear differences in sound quality that I don’t notice. If you have never noticed paint needing correction then your eyes probably just are setup to notice it. Usually once you see it though, you can’t unsee it.
I used sonax perfect finish on my truck. Paint wasn’t bad but I’m that audiophile with paint Check out the reflection on the black paint on the bottom E1D5AB5C-6A8C-4F44-B09A-FE58918CBEFC.jpeg001908F1-F90C-4A80-ACF8-FC38B92BB380.jpeg

Running over it with a fine compound for swirl removal before applying a good protectant of some kind is my plan as well. but I'd be very careful about getting much more aggressive than that.

I'd be afraid to try even the lightest cut and buff on a new rig as thin as the clear on them is.

Running over it with a fine compound for swirl removal before applying a good protectant of some kind is my plan as well. but I'd be very careful about getting much more aggressive than that.

I'd be afraid to try even the lightest cut and buff on a new rig as thin as the clear on them is.
No need for a compound, a good polish such as perfect finish and the right pad will do the job.

I used Adam’s Graphene. 1 year later, still holding up great. I like the product. Make sure to level on plastic. If you just slather it on, the excess will dry and turn white.

Exactly.

So what over the counter ceramic coatings are you guys using?
I used the Gyeon polish and Gyeon MOHS ceramic. So far so good and the application was very easy. Instead of waiting for a “flash” effect, it sweats and was a piece of cake to keep level.

I used Adam’s Graphene. 1 year later, still holding up great. I like the product. Make sure to level on plastic. If you just slather it on, the excess will dry and turn white.
I use the same and it's great. I have it on my GCM 3500 and it always looks like I just waxed it. Also on my black car, even after driving it in the rain its still glossy . I also did all the windows, grille, outside/inside mirrors, and wheels. The bugs spray off with a water hose.

I have used just about every coating out there, both professional and consumer grade. What I use for most clients and also my own vehicles(including the TRX) is CQUARTZ UK 3.0 topped with CQUARTZ Sic. It has been bullet proof. And both are easy to use.

Besides coatings that require IR lamps to cure, it has been the best for me and my clients.

The plastics, I use CQ DLux or GTechniq C4. Just clean the plastic really well b4 application.

Back