Did a second, REAL PDI on the LE today.

So, I wanted to investigate a couple of things with the TRX today and perform a real PDI on the truck. For all of your knowledge, PDI's are generally not handled by Ram Tech's anymore. They are done by the detail department and consist of them checking fluids, taking the cars out of shipping mode and then cleaning them up, they do not put them on a lift and checking anything under the truck. Thats it....

So I grabbed one of my son's and we headed up to my shop where I tinker, and I also have a 25 year FCA Viper Technician who operates out of my shop and manages my race cars, and other stuff. Check out that unsprung hang, my son is almost 4 ft tall. I was pretty impressed.

We secured the passenger side body modules that were hanging off at delivery. Not excited about how they are attached so threw some zip ties on them. Pulled the front skid plates to get a look at the front end, discovered a wiring harness unfasten'ed and laying on the oil filter. This is not good as the oil filter gets really hot and will damage the wiring harness, found its proper mounting location and re-secured it. Did a torque check on all known components and everything was fine.

Checked the rear diff, fluid, transfer case, and front diff. Rear diff was fine, transfer case and front diff were really low on fluid.

Buttoned her back up and then dropped her down to do a weight and balance check by putting her on the race scales.. This is where the uneven ride height comes from, shocks are all in proper working order no defects but it is exacerbated by the softness of the suspension. The drivers side of the truck is 175lbs heavier than the passenger side, note the fuel tank is on the drivers side. She's a big girl, came in at 6711lbs. I installed a child in the engine bay on the passenger side to balance out the truck.

Got the race car packed in for some Cup Car testing tomorrow, and checked on my other ladies who were all tucked in. Threw in a video of my Gladiator Hemi conversation, yesterday was first fire, you can hear a header leak, tighten it up and sounds awesome now, can't wait for her to be done.
Damn dude, really impressive shop and toys.

So, I wanted to investigate a couple of things with the TRX today and perform a real PDI on the truck. For all of your knowledge, PDI's are generally not handled by Ram Tech's anymore. They are done by the detail department and consist of them checking fluids, taking the cars out of shipping mode and then cleaning them up, they do not put them on a lift and checking anything under the truck. Thats it....

So I grabbed one of my son's and we headed up to my shop where I tinker, and I also have a 25 year FCA Viper Technician who operates out of my shop and manages my race cars, and other stuff. Check out that unsprung hang, my son is almost 4 ft tall. I was pretty impressed.

We secured the passenger side body modules that were hanging off at delivery. Not excited about how they are attached so threw some zip ties on them. Pulled the front skid plates to get a look at the front end, discovered a wiring harness unfasten'ed and laying on the oil filter. This is not good as the oil filter gets really hot and will damage the wiring harness, found its proper mounting location and re-secured it. Did a torque check on all known components and everything was fine.

Checked the rear diff, fluid, transfer case, and front diff. Rear diff was fine, transfer case and front diff were really low on fluid.

Buttoned her back up and then dropped her down to do a weight and balance check by putting her on the race scales.. This is where the uneven ride height comes from, shocks are all in proper working order no defects but it is exacerbated by the softness of the suspension. The drivers side of the truck is 175lbs heavier than the passenger side, note the fuel tank is on the drivers side. She's a big girl, came in at 6711lbs. I installed a child in the engine bay on the passenger side to balance out the truck.

Got the race car packed in for some Cup Car testing tomorrow, and checked on my other ladies who were all tucked in. Threw in a video of my Gladiator Hemi conversation, yesterday was first fire, you can hear a header leak, tighten it up and sounds awesome now, can't wait for her to be done.
Wow you have a very impressive setup!! Thanks for the detailed info. Seems you should have no problems maintaining your truck. I hope your enjoying the hell out of it. Cheers

To be clear about the weight data, front left is 1951lbs, front right is 1837, left rear is 1492, right rear is 1431. 51.3% of the weight is on the drivers side, 48.7% is on the passenger side, with a front to rear split of 56.4% 43.6% respectively and a cross axis of 49.6%. Ideally you would like to see a 50/50 weight balance across the corners but because we don't have coil overs, you cant get there.

The fluid situation is worrisome and very helpful, I'll get that checked out ... thanks for doing all this and sharing the info. (y)

That T1 is a thing of beauty!
Ditto! I'm doing the first oil change at 500. Really appreciate
The fluid situation is worrisome and very helpful, I'll get that checked out ... thanks for doing all this and sharing the info. (y)

That T1 is a thing of beauty!
Ditto! I'm doing the first oil change in a couple days or so when I'm around 500 miles. Really appreciate the info Variable!!!

Wow you have a very impressive setup!! Thanks for the detailed info. Seems you should have no problems maintaining your truck. I hope your enjoying the hell out of it. Cheers
Yea I am starting to beat on her a little bit. I think it is ECU restricted from a power standpoint. It will be curious to see how she feels at 1000 miles, and 5,000 miles.

Huge help. Anyone have a copy of the service manual for the TRX? I don't have a Viper mechanic on staff. Go figure...

Owners manual is no help for this level of PDI. I'm familiar with checking the rear fluid but not front diff or transfer case.
Fluid lists are in the manual.

Thank you. My front diff that cracked did not have a paint mark, but the transfer case fill plug did.
Looked at your pictures. Looks like you were low on fluid when you decided to have fun and shit got hot before going bang. Question, were you in snow mode when you did that or were you in baja?

Have a 3k sq ft shop at home, but it started to get small so I had to grow the space with a new shop.

Pretty much how it seems to have gone down. I was in Baja mode.
Got it. Thanks for the clarification. For everyone else, don't do cookies in snow mode or any other mode accept Baja. Baja is 25/75, puts the least power to the front end. Funny note, when I took delivery of mine on Friday, the dealer had it in 4 high, instead of 4 auto.

They do not check the diffs or the transfer case fluids in a PDI.
Curious as to what fluid you topped off your transfer case and differential with? I checked the TRX supplement manual and did not see any specs on fluids for either. Just to use Pennzoil 0w-40 engine oil. I'll be doing the first oil change soon so would like to have a couple quarts kicking around in case I have to top off too.....which given the odds, probably will have too 🙄 Thanks in advance!

At 33 gallons that should only be another 200lbs or so...
It’s the options. Stereo, sunroof, power seats and all the tech weigh more than you would think.

Back