Dealership drove it 14 miles

Awood05

TRX Fanatic
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 Ram TRX
Current Ride #2
2013 GT500 Vert; 2002 Lightning
I can understand the concern. I personally have a love/hate relationship with service departments and worry about these kinds of things every time I take a vehicle in.

That said, I had a polar opposite experince with my wifes 2017 Explorer. After about 20-25 miles of ”my wife style” of driving it would develop a noise in the front right wheel. When I called to set up the appointment, and when I dropped it off, I told the service writer to ”drive it like a bat out of hell for 20 or so miles and then stroll through a parking lot with the radio off”. We get the call from the dealer that they can’t replicate the issue. Get the car back and they drove a total of 5 miles….

LordExplorer

TRX Fiend
Founding Member
TRX of the Month
Reaction score
Current Ride
‘21 TRX Launch Edition
Current Ride #2
Motos. Lots of motos
Took mine in for first oil change at 1000 miles~. They put 21 miles on it. Just told them I expect to never see them joy riding again or we’ll have issues. SA agreed with me. Haven’t had an issue since (3 visits since). I’d say just calmly bust their balls about it next time in if it upsets you. Make sure they know you’re paying attention. Doesn’t hurt to have dash cams too (I have 2ch). I’m OCD with my rides so understand your frustration. Hell my wife hasn’t even driven my TRX yet in 11k miles of ownership or during our 6k mile road trip. Nor will she. That woman is maniac

PotterTRX

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Current Ride
Garage full
I would say as others just let it go‼️ Try this on for size‼️
I took my hellcat charger in for service and it stood over night 2x and both times when I went to play back the video in my 2ch dashcam to see what they was doing to my car the footage wasn't there.. Apparently they was disconnecting the power from the camera when they took it in so I lit there ass on fire and they never did it again🤷🏾‍♂️
They even put up a sign saying no one should be disconnecting cameras in customer vehicles 🤣🤣
I am a technician myself and have been for 13 years in the dealership setting and unplug every dashcam when I work on a vehicle and then when I am done and parked it back outside I plug it back in.
I definitely understand it is not my vehicle but I also don't really agree to be on camera either during the repair process.
If you are taking your vehicle to the dealership or any shop have someone you trust work on it I have tons and tons of people that directly ask for me to only touch their vehicles because they know it will be correctly worked on.

Smoke king

SHOW STOPPER ‼️
TRX of the Month
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 Ram TRX (Black)
Current Ride #2
2020 Hellcat Charger Widebody (Triple Nickle)
I am a technician myself and have been for 13 years in the dealership setting and unplug every dashcam when I work on a vehicle and then when I am done and parked it back outside I plug it back in.
I definitely understand it is not my vehicle but I also don't really agree to be on camera either during the repair process.
If you are taking your vehicle to the dealership or any shop have someone you trust work on it I have tons and tons of people that directly ask for me to only touch their vehicles because they know it will be correctly worked on.
So what I didn't mention or should I say I forgot to mention is that I been going to this dealership for service for years and trusted them till my car had to stay over night and a few items was missing from my car. Nothing important or expensive, dumb shit like stickers from my company, and it just looked alittle ran sacked so I checked the cameras to see what went on the second time my camera was turned off! The first time Nothing was missing so I just left it alone..
So I was pissed off that I couldn't catch the person cause my cameras was cut off. Had they been on I would have been able to catch the person and I was told by the manager that it's not in there policy to disconnect the cameras so I let them know what happened and made sure when my cars come there my cameras stay on or I'll take my business else where‼️
In a nut shell I hear ya but I don't agree with your reasoning for turning them off because if your working on the car from the bottom the cameras aren't looking at you. If your working under the hood they can't see you either. What it will catch is the the sound and view of the person that is in the car or entering doing something there not supposed to be doing or driving the car at a speed or distance they shouldn't be‼️
Non the less I hear ya‼️
Honestly I don't think it was a technician. I think they left my car parked out in a open lot over night and someone went in but either way I won't ever know cause my cameras was off the 2 days it was there it was was turned back on when they handed it back to me‼️
Had it been done the way you explained you do it I'm sure I would have been able to see what happened and it could have been as simple as them forgetting to plug it back in when parking it but still it's a mystery that would have been easy to solve if they just left it on🤷🏾‍♂️

Mpavalanche1

TRX Fiend
Reaction score
I totally agree. There is only one tech allowed to work on the TRX at my dealership. And, my brother works there. The tech and I are on first name basis and have spent time together under my truck. I totally trust him to do the right thing. If he needs to drive it 5 miles or 25, I'm ok with it. I know he's gonna take care of it.

BusaDave

TRX Addict
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 Black TRX
Current Ride #2
2021 BMW X5 M
Trust but verify with the camera.......

Murfman

TRX Fanatic
Reaction score
Current Ride
2017 Trailhawk/2022 TRX
I think the main issue is that to someone who is being diligent about breaking in their truck properly, it’s sort of s slap in the face when someone else mistreats it. One of the recommendations in the manual is not to drive over 85mph between 300-500mi. Though it does say that your supposed to get the revs up and shift near higher RPMs in this mileage range, so maybe not as big of a deal as I originally thought.
You should see what the drivers do with them right off the production line. I do a lot of work near Ford’s Chicago facility where they build Explorers. They drive them to rail yards both near the plant and some to Chicago Heights. I regularly see groups of them at 90 MPH on the highways and then racing from stoplights.

BusaDave

TRX Addict
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 Black TRX
Current Ride #2
2021 BMW X5 M
Sorry but if you do that with my vehicle I will use whatever means necessary to have you fired. Just the way I am about people screwing with my property. If you do not like it then refuse to work on the vehicle THAT is the honest way to do it. Better clear this with your employer because if they are aware you are doing this without the owners consent you just might find yourself in a awkward position.

PotterTRX

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Current Ride
Garage full
Sorry but if you do that with my vehicle I will use whatever means necessary to have you fired. Just the way I am about people screwing with my property. If you do not like it then refuse to work on the vehicle THAT is the honest way to do it. Better clear this with your employer because if they are aware you are doing this without the owners consent you just might find yourself in a awkward position.
Please do not have any warranty work done on your truck and make sure you do all of the maintenance yourself then please. Also I hope you did the PDI process personally on your truck and didn't have the dealership do it and I hope you didn't have a random transport company move your truck from the assembly plant to a railyard and then from the railyard to a holding lot and then from the holding lot onto a transport truck and from a transport truck to the dealership because the vehicle also will get driven without camera in these locations.

If you don't trust the technician that is working on your vehicle that much then you definitely need to find a new dealership I am on a 1 on 1 basis with a lot of the guys that I work on their vehicles they have my phone number I have their phone number ect. Most of the time I am the only person in the dealership setting that even gets in or drives the vehicle from the service aisle to the shop and then parking it I typically hold the keys personally until they arrive and then personally hand them the truck and keys so no other lot kid or person drives their vehicle.

Sorry for the rant it is just frustrating when people have had a bad experience somewhere and then assume everybody is out to destroy their stuff. I literally bend over backwards for a lot of these guys and go out of my way to try to make the process smoother even when it comes down to me doing stuff for free to make the process a happier smoother situation.

Last edited:

BDS TRX

TRX Fiend
Reaction score
Current Ride
2012 Supercharged Challenger R/T+ / 2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Current Ride #2
2013 Harley Davidson Road Glide

EXACTLY! If you are not hired to work on my dash cam THEN KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF MY PROPERTY! If you can't handle "being on camera" then elect to not do the work! But don't touch my shit! -- at least my shit that you were not hired to touch! PERIOD!!!

timinnd

TRX Fiend
Reaction score
Current Ride
2020 Rebel. 2022 TRX ordered.
don’t sweat the little stuff
Me personally, I sweat the little stuff.

The little stuff is often preventable. Letting little stuff slide, can result in big stuff which was caused by "not sweating little stuff".

My theory is, sweat the little stuff because you can often do something about it.

I don't sweat the "big stuff".

The big stuff, like weather, cancer, etc....you have no control, and in most situations have no way of preventing or changing.

If the dealership dumped a chocolate shake on the seat, one might say "the seats are leather, it wipes right up it didn't hurt anything....don't sweat it"

Not me. I would "sweat that" lol.

I think of stuff like what the dealer did in his instance as a "snapshot of the whole".

I'm good with everyone's opinions here. That's what they are ...opinions. No right or wrong answer. Both "side" have great points.

Smoke king

SHOW STOPPER ‼️
TRX of the Month
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 Ram TRX (Black)
Current Ride #2
Please do not have any warranty work done on your truck and make sure you do all of the maintenance yourself then please. Also I hope you did the PDI process personally on your truck and didn't have the dealership do it and I hope you didn't have a random transport company move your truck from the assembly plant to a railyard and then from the railyard to a holding lot and then from the holding lot onto a transport truck and from a transport truck to the dealership because the vehicle also will get driven without camera in these locations.

If you don't trust the technician that is working on your vehicle that much then you definitely need to find a new dealership I am on a 1 on 1 basis with a lot of the guys that I work on their vehicles they have my phone number I have their phone number ect. Most of the time I am the only person in the dealership setting that even gets in or drives the vehicle from the service aisle to the shop and then parking it I typically hold the keys personally until they arrive and then personally hand them the truck and keys so no other lot kid or person drives their vehicle.

Sorry for the rant it is just frustrating when people have had a bad experience somewhere and then assume everybody is out to destroy their stuff. I literally bend over backwards for a lot of these guys and go out of my way to try to make the process smoother even when it comes down to me doing stuff for free to make the process a happier smoother situation.
Your frustration is understandable when you do the right thing but that's you‼️
In a perfect world this would be ideal but I'm sorry there's very few things I trust other people with and that's my kids, wife, money, car, home, and dog 🤷🏾‍♂️ So what makes me feel better is knowing when something goes wrong I have the security in place to put the blame where it belongs and not on the wrong person‼️
Might have been valets, tech, random person, whoever but because my cameras was disconnected I would never know and that's not fair or right to a customer trusting a dealership as a whole to keep there stuff safe and secure ‼️

Smoke king

SHOW STOPPER ‼️
TRX of the Month
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 Ram TRX (Black)
Current Ride #2
This a hot topic over here‼️😅😅 Disconnect dash cams on customer vehicles or not during service ‼️ Someone pin this shit🤣🤣

BusaDave

TRX Addict
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 Black TRX
Current Ride #2
2021 BMW X5 M

Unfortunately YOU are not the only person that touches or is inside of my vehicle if you work at any of the Dealerships I frequent over the last 7 years and that includes GM, Ford, RCDJ, MB, BMW, Audi and Porsche. Let me enlighten you a little bit. In a previous truck that had the gun safe in the center console it has a combination that I keep one number off for quick access.

Yes not a good thing however, when I picked it up after a few days having warranty work done and fluids changed in the tranny when I got my truck back the numbers were scrambled. This means someone was going through the console and did this. Now I understand your detailed comments however, are you stating that when you work on a vehicle and you need a part that is not available that you go and park it and have the keys in your possession the entire time and ensure the vehicle is locked? What if it needs to be moved again or is going to sit for a month because the part is not available most dealers use porters for that.

Sorry but you are telling a good story but it just does not make sense...... For you to disable a security system in my vehicle would not go well for you in fact, you just might be talking to a LEO about it depending on what happened to the vehicle or contents. Good thing you do not make it known where you work because they would not appreciate being put into a possible untenable situation. You aversion to working in the days of surveillance are putting you at risk because if something is missing or damaged and you just tell the people investigating what you have stated above puts your employer in a precarious position. There is no way to prove anything except you disabled the camera that you had no reason or right to do---automatic suspect!

Good Luck With That One.....

Just clicked on your You Tube link. Are you so not thinking through what you do to post Pictures and videos of Customers of your Employer's NOT YOUR's vehicles while being serviced at your Employer's place of business, including the license plate number? My God Man THINK!!! Do you know how livid people get over that kind of stuff? Not Smart.

Last edited:

PotterTRX

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Current Ride
Garage full
Unfortunately YOU are not the only person that touches or is inside of my vehicle if you work at any of the Dealerships I frequent over the last 7 years and that includes GM, Ford, RCDJ, MB, BMW, Audi and Porsche. Let me enlighten you a little bit. In a previous truck that had the gun safe in the center console it has a combination that I keep one number off for quick access.

Yes not a good thing however, when I picked it up after a few days having warranty work done and fluids changed in the tranny when I got my truck back the numbers were scrambled. This means someone was going through the console and did this. Now I understand your detailed comments however, are you stating that when you work on a vehicle and you need a part that is not available that you go and park it and have the keys in your possession the entire time and ensure the vehicle is locked? What if it needs to be moved again or is going to sit for a month because the part is not available most dealers use porters for that.

Sorry but you are telling a good story but it just does not make sense...... For you to disable a security system in my vehicle would not go well for you in fact, you just might be talking to a LEO about it depending on what happened to the vehicle or contents. Good thing you do not make it known where you work because they would not appreciate being put into a possible untenable situation. You aversion to working in the days of surveillance are putting you at risk because if something is missing or damaged and you just tell the people investigating what you have stated above puts your employer in a precarious position. There is no way to prove anything except you disabled the camera that you had no reason or right to do---automatic suspect!

Good Luck With That One.....
You are absolutely right while a vehicle is at the dealership for service even if it is sitting there needing parts I have the keys in my possession in my toolbox so no one else can get to the vehicle, we have service spots that customer cars get parked in so there would never be a reason they would need to get moved until the service work gets performed, now I can't speak on other dealerships since I have never worked at other places but at least in our situation the technician holds the keys during the duration of the visit until the vehicle is done and in my case I typically hold the keys and the vehicle until the customer shows up and I hand them the keys personally

Russ103

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2019 Raptor
LOL at some of the replies. Figured I'd get a fair share of each. Par for the course when taking a fast car or truck into the dealer I suppose. I like to follow break in on vehicles that I plan to keep past warranty expiration. So best move is don't give someone an opportunity to do burn outs in it when you aren't around (if you believe in break in). What pissed me off was dude telling me we took it 4 miles and how they do a specific loop blah blah like I hadn't checked odometer. I guess no way to get a date from top speed, but I assume it was them. No way to hit 88mph driving from LA to SD in rush hour traffic!
This is the drawback to the TRX, you can’t do burnouts

Alienhead

TRX Fan
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 TRX Granite level 1
14 miles is nothing. If you took it in and they can't sort it out they will contact Star. The Mopar tech line. Often they will require them to take it on an extended drive to confirm a problem and the how and when it occurs and that the issue is resolved. I was asked to take a Jeep AEV 5.7L up fit vehicle on a 60 mile trek up some serious grades to confirm a cooling issue was resolved. It was, and it was magical. But it was all business. Not saying they didn't do something wrong. Just saying it is not uncommon.

midas360

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 Dodge TRX
Took my truck in for the klunk while stopping issue. 306 miles going in. Came back and they said they couldn’t replicate it. Asked the tech how many miles they drove it and he said 4 which is the loop they go on. Odometer said 320 so I said wtf were you guys doing. He said sorry it was a different tech and that’s normal to diagnose the problem. Checked my top speed and it’s 88mph which wasn’t me but I had the dealer drop off from about 100 miles away so could be from that. Any way to check the date of the top speed? was stupid to give them the opportunity to joyride my truck. What would you guys do?
Valet mode.. put the truck in valet mode before dropping it off.

RTG

Prestige Worldwide
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 Ram TRX Granite
Current Ride #2
2021 Ram TRX Blue
My truck was delivered from the factory with similar speed registered. Truck had 9 miles on it. They test them at the factory. There’s a video on you tube showing SHAPs process. They take it around the track.
My trucks arrived the same way. 10-14 miles on the odometer and an established top speed in the 80's.

People who are eager to find problems will always succeed. What a miserable life that must be.

Last edited:

timinnd

TRX Fiend
Reaction score
Current Ride
2020 Rebel. 2022 TRX ordered.
Took mine in for first oil change at 1000 miles~. They put 21 miles on it.

That's standard now. They need to drive it at least 20 miles to make sure the oil integrated.
This test drive is part of the "Oil integration & inspection" process on all 2021 and newer Ram trucks.

There have been cases of certain oils being rejected by some non-California emissions versions.
Its just part of the procedure.

Also bulletins out on proper procedure for keeping emissions in check.

They did release an instructional video that techs are to watch prior to working on your TRX.

After some searching, I was able to find it.

Stellantis 2021 Emissions Check Training Video

RAM TRX Forum Supporting Member Badge

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Sam Leman Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram Morton