Dealer Oil Change - Experiences

Oil change "techs" are entry level / low man on totem pole kinda stuff. The look at the TRX as a friggin skid plate pain in the ass.
Want a reason to do your own changes? Here ya go !

They are supposed to use SRT certified techs even on oil changes. We all know dealers vary and luckily for me mine is awesome.

Here is one for ya.
Top Corvette dealer in CO. I had them putting tires on my new Z06 wheels (I only brought them the wheels - tire, NOT the car). Tire machine was right next to the lube rack. A C7 Stingray and another C7 Z06 were getting oil changes. I was watching the "techs" play grab ass, as they RAN around the cars snapping towels at each other........talking on their phones..........texting on their phones..........laughing like a couple of hyenas ! Oh yeah, in between they were filling them with oil and changing the oil filters. You choose.

My local dealer’s service department is fantastic. They’ve been doing my oil changes for years (as well as other warranty work). I bought the lifetime oil change for the TRX from them. I figure at 40,000 miles the oil changes will be paid for (I have them change the oil and rotate the tires every 4,000 miles). With my extended warranty good for 7yr/75k miles I plan on having the truck for a while!

Another note for the oil cooler - would not be surprised if we start hearing reports of techs snapping the cooler line off the cooler. You need to be careful when removing the drain bolt as the cooler line isn't super sturdy. I added a Fumoto valve to mine so I don't have to do it in the future but just a word of caution.
Yep, if you go in there with a power tool not knowing exactly what you're doing...as I'm sure no dealer oil change tech has ever done...then you very well may bend or pinch a line.

Oil change "techs" are entry level / low man on totem pole kinda stuff. The look at the TRX as a friggin skid plate pain in the ass.
Want a reason to do your own changes? Here ya go !

Oh, look at that, the tech put the drain plug back in with an impact gun, cross-threaded it, and now it leaks and needs a new oil pan. If only we could have known that the LOW SKILL TECHS USE AN IMPACT GUN FOR EVERYTHING!

Capture.PNG

So an update:
Took the truck in to a local dealer in the end for the oil change as part of the service pack. They also did a tyre balance and rotation. Service advisor owned a TRX and was super-accommodating to all my questions. Yes, they used the correct oil and drained the oil cooler too, said they would not do it any other way. Very happy with the experience!

OP - which dealer did you end up at? Trying to figure our where to go for the recall and driveline clunk.

Took my TRX in for its first oil change to the dealer, then when I went to do the second oil change myself, I found that the little bastards left off half the skid pan bolts and broke off one of the welded in nuts for the skid pan bolts to go into right up by the radiator. Yeah, I'll do my own oil changes. They did fix and replace the bolts when I brought it back.

I hit just over 1000 miles on the way to the dealer this AM for my first oil change.

The women working on it (Master SRT Tech) let me back there to see the drain plug be pulled and will rotate the tires. When I called them 2 days ago, they also were able to secure the preferred, SRT Filter. They just walked out and showed it to me :) — 89.95 for the oil change, filter, and tire rotation..

It hurt driving her through all the salt/snow/ice, for the first time - she’s FILTHY!! but worth it for the oil change.

I am going to do TF, front, and rear diff FLUID when I return to have my 23 red stitched o shit handles replaced (originals were black on a 23), and the infomaous Missing rear accent light fixed. They already have all the parts, just need to secure an appointment with enough time.

If she blows up on the way home, I’ll be sure to report back ;)

I hit just over 1000 miles on the way to the dealer this AM for my first oil change.

The women working on it (Master SRT Tech) let me back there to see the drain plug be pulled and will rotate the tires. When I called them 2 days ago, they also were able to secure the preferred, SRT Filter. They just walked out and showed it to me :) — 89.95 for the oil change, filter, and tire rotation..

It hurt driving her through all the salt/snow/ice, for the first time - she’s FILTHY!! but worth it for the oil change.

I am going to do TF, front, and rear diff FLUID when I return to have my 23 red stitched o shit handles replaced (originals were black on a 23), and the infomaous Missing rear accent light fixed. They already have all the parts, just need to secure an appointment with enough time.

If she blows up on the way home, I’ll be sure to report back ;)
I've had 4 oil changes in 15 months on my 2022 TRX at my Rhinelander, Wisconsin RAM dealership...6,100 miles...no problems.
Master SRT mechanic works on my TRX. Sounds like you're well treated at your dealership.

The truck is parked for winter in the Northwoods... anxious to hit non salted roads in April.

Changing oil isn't rocket science , but lots of times the people doing it are the mouthbreathers that can't even wash a car right.

If at all possible do it yourself, I don't save any money because I use Redline oil and the 041 filter but it's done right and nobody cares more about your rig than you do.

My local dealership absolutely sucks. Techs are never there. Appointments are never honored. Something simple as an oil change is a toss of the dice on whether or not you’re waiting 30 min or the entire day. I stopped going , I’ve never had good experiences at dealers no matter what vehicle I’ve owned.

My recommendation is that you have it done by the dealership, that way, there is no questioning whether or not the oil change was done at the appropriate time in the appropriate mileage, and they could never gave you shit if something that bad happens down the road.

if you’re really worried, whether or not your dealership has done a good job, after you pick it up, take it home and crawl underneath the thing and double check that the oil filter is on tight and the oil level is where it should be. If it all checks out, then the dealership is the way to go.

Take my word for it is super important for the dealership to do all the work and have them document it within their system. You are talking to a person who is 2002 TRX after 6000 miles in six months completely had the supercharger and motor replaced with a brand new one (repair cost was over $35,000 in which I had to pay nothing) because there was a part that broke off in the supercharger and just wiped out the engine.

Both the new supercharger and motor was replaced under warranty and it was a zero charge to me including a Ram Bighorn for free the three they had my truck!

Bottom line: if you have something like that happen and you’ve got to go in and haggle that you did a good job yourself and here’s a receipt and then they have them put it under a microscope and whether you’re right or wrong it just puts a roadblock in between you and getting your shit fixed.

Good points, maybe state laws vary so it's something to consider.

In my state you can do all your own service work and your warranty by law must be honored. I believe there are national laws that are similar but I'm not sure. that said you have to do it on time and with whatever the manual calls for. to have a warranty denial it would have to be oil related, and the oil analysis would have to prove you were at fault . most dealers aren't going to work against you unless it's clear you neglected proper service intervals, so I'm not worried. but again you could run into a bad dealership so I'm not saying you're all wrong.

I'm sure it's a good idea to keep your receipts if you do it yourself, something I'm not good at.

The cost ended up being like 160 and change..

I knew they had the wrong SKU to start. They added a small amount of SC Coolant, and Engine Coolant at my request as it was riding the minimum line since she came home.

After they were so great, and even showed me the SRT Filter I didn’t want to mention draining the oil cooler. The master tech told me she did it when she handed me the keys 😁 It didn’t hurt nearly everyone else canceled for the day, as the roads are covered in sleet/snow/freezing ice.

TRX handled them, with ehh - no issues.

Hit the car wash, she got dirty on the way home - sigh, but still WAY better than before - lol

Bottom line: if you have something like that happen and you’ve got to go in and haggle that you did a good job yourself and here’s a receipt and then they have them put it under a microscope and whether you’re right or wrong it just puts a roadblock in between you and getting your shit fixed.
Another way to look at it.. If your dealership is shitty enough to try to skirt out of a warranty repair in the first place, they're probably just going to find a different excuse anyway. Now you still get the "roadblock" along with the added risk of having a window-licker working on your truck.

We also don't know the dealership would have tried to ding you on changing your own oil.. Pretty obvious to reason a SC imploding would have f*ck all do to with it. Seems just as likely your dealership/mfg simply did the right thing and honored it for what it was.. a mfg defect.

Folks have had engines replaced with no hassle while changing their oil too & were never even asked for a receipt or proof. Not sure the individual antidotal evidence we have access to is enough to suggest a clear benefit/risk either way.

Last edited:
Back