Dashcam

Pretty slick.

Probably wait until Owl Cam 5.0 comes out in March.

My question would be, what are the legal ramifications of having dash cam in vehicle?

For example, Florida has a Felony Speed law:

Speeding up to 29 miles per hour over the posted limit comes with fines amounting to a few hundred dollars and a few points on your license. Most tickets come with three or four points, which remain on your record for three years and are cumulative.

At 30 or more miles per hour over the posted limit, the act of speeding becomes criminal. Going 30 to 49 mph over the posted limit is a misdemeanor, and anything 50 or more mph over the limit can result in a felony conviction.

So lets say your out with TRX group for a drive and everyone hits on highway, few seconds your at 115MPH. Usually what happens if you do this too much and dont get off highway regularly, the regular drivers start call *FHP (Florida Highway Patrol). If its bad enough, the FHP will be sitting ahead about 5 miles ahead of call locations or closest FHP or Sheriff, waits on the road with multiple police cars. and pulls the cars over, even if they dont get them on radar.

Lets say they dont catch you speeding but pull you over and question you about the *FHP speeding/racing calls by other drivers (which they are asked for vehicle type, color and plate) and there sits the dash cam, all the evidence they need. Can the police, take the camera as evidence and charge you later?

Rear Story:
I use to be in the viper club and 8-10 vipers would get together on a weekend day or night and go drive around, hit the car show circuit. We would raise hell but nothing reckless, that what tracks are for.

One day there were 2 new members that showed up and all hell broke loose, they were running +100MPH consistently zinging dangerously in and out of traffic, passing in pull over lane, craziest shit you have seen. A few of us just stayed back. They left me in the dust, way behind.

After about 10 minutes, I came up main Highway, large road crossing and 4 FHP cars were waiting and pulled over the 4 vipers in the front of the group who were causing the issue. I had stayed back, because it got way out of control. Its almost 100 degrees out in Florida, high noon sun, they got all 4 drivers out of the cars, handcuffed behind the back and made them stand outside in the heat while the officers searched the cars. One of new drivers, had gotten smart with the officers, they called some, division and they took the interior of his car apart, while they stood there for 2 hours. They did not put it back together.

Could the police use your own dash against you or is that covered by privacy?
The thing I dislike about the owl is the screens. Seems distracting

So let me ask a never owned or used a dash cam product before:

I see most if not all have a LTE/5G or Trucks WIFI streaming function to store all videos on cloud internet storage.

1) Does that mean the actual physical device only keeps videos, until a successful upload occurs? or is this something you have to manage, does it roll over older video and are there settings that can control this?

2) I see with the security video feature, your truck is locked, your away inside restaurant eating and someone breaks in. Motion and impact sensor activated video recorded buffer on dash units memory, goes back, like a minute before motion or impact senor activates, like a DVR and catches the entire incident video. For this feature, some units require you to buy a good sized $500.00 battery pack. Is that standard buy on all, for that feature?

3) Owners with front and rear facing dash cams, is the inside cam worth it?

4) I believe all the RAM TRX's have the front and rear cameras built into grill and tailgate handle and the rear view mirror camera. Does anyone know of a aftermarket product that can us the built in cameras on RAM and do steal install under dash? or would the resolution on built in cameras, to low or can't directly access camera feeds without activating them thru Uconnect system?

Thanks

I think that’s illegal search and seizure if you weren’t committing a crime when he pulled you. Could be another trx

I think the illegal search and seizure if you weren’t committing a crime when he pulled you. Could be another trx, is a valid argument.

But it will only work in court. Now almost every traffic light, 1/2 mile on major highway and roads have road CAMs. When there is a tornado warning passing over a highway, TV weather can connect to highway cameras, every 1/2 mile and see what the weather is doing and they broadcast it as part of report. So they will have you anyway and from camera to camera, they can calculate your 1/2 or 1 mile time, which gives them your MPH.

But law enforcement could just say, we didn't catch him on radar, but got 6 calls about felony speeding and reckless driving on a color, RAM, maybe TRX, probably plate & they have the recorded phone calls. They just say they followed behind for a mile and driver passed a couple cars that were going 70MPH like they were not moving. So they pulled you over, for possible DWI or reckless driving? At that point they have just cause.

They noticed dash cam and they know it has the evidence of violations on it. Probably comes down to the same thing, when police ask you to do a breathalyzer test or when they suspect guns or drugs, they ask the driver for permission to search vehicle which would also include, playing back video and if it had evidence of illegal driving, they could confiscate it as evidence.

If you have done nothing wrong or to hide, why wouldn't consent. Just to get the harassment over.

But if there is something up, police know it, and you say no, they can just come up with some just cause reason, to write multiple tickets, whether they stick or not, but then you have to go to court. Broad reaching excuses are scary, especially if they are not wearing body cameras.

Long story short, when messing around on public roads, do it short bursts, not long sustained runs, do it few times, get off that road and go another direction or they catch up with you and at minimum hassle you.

I ordered BlackVue DR900X-2CH with 256GB microSD Card | 4K UHD Cloud Dashcam | Built-in Wi-Fi, GPS, Parking Mode Voltage Monitor | LTE via Optional CM100 LTE Module. Front and rear cams.

1614630440113.png

I ordered BlackVue DR900X-2CH with 256GB microSD Card | 4K UHD Cloud Dashcam | Built-in Wi-Fi, GPS, Parking Mode Voltage Monitor | LTE via Optional CM100 LTE Module. Front and rear cams.

View attachment 6552
Know if there is a wipe memory feature?

Like a quick format of micro usb card. Would be nice
I’m sure theres a way to format it in the settings I just don’t know how quick it is to get to. I guess otherwise you could just pop out the card and break it in half. Or run it over a magnet

Or if it had an encryption to secure flash drive, like a cell phone, that police can't access, without a password.

Like the Iphone AppleGate, which denied the FBI request over access to cellphones of suspected terrorists.

Or if it had an encryption to secure flash drive, like a cell phone, that police can't access, without a password.

Like the Iphone AppleGate, which denied the FBI request over access to cellphones of suspected terrorists.
Dashcam companies must have thought about this. I’m going to call blackvue

Is there a way you could tap into the built in cameras (surround view system on my truck) and use those? Due to the fish-eye and low resolution, they might not be good for making YouTube footage, but if you were in an accident, or a deer runs out in front of you and you need to show your insurance company, wouldn't it be nice to see footage from the cameras already hardwired and mounted? Seems like a software issue more than anything, because you could probably use a large USB flash drive to capture weeks worth of 360 footage at a time.

Built in cameras have been a thing in cars for many years now, so has anyone seen a hack to tie in to those?

Spoke to blackvue. There is no way to reformat the drive from the app or device. Needs to be done on a computer. So basically you would need to pop out the sd card and destroy it, which would probably add an obstruction charge.

Is there a way you could tap into the built in cameras (surround view system on my truck) and use those? Due to the fish-eye and low resolution, they might not be good for making YouTube footage, but if you were in an accident, or a deer runs out in front of you and you need to show your insurance company, wouldn't it be nice to see footage from the cameras already hardwired and mounted? Seems like a software issue more than anything, because you could probably use a large USB flash drive to capture weeks worth of 360 footage at a time.

Built in cameras have been a thing in cars for many years now, so has anyone seen a hack to tie in to those?
There was a thread a few months ago and I believe the consensus was that it wasn’t feasible. That doesn’t mean someone couldn’t figure it out today though.

Spoke to blackvue. There is no way to reformat the drive from the app or device. Needs to be done on a computer. So basically you would need to pop out the sd card and destroy it, which would probably add an obstruction charge.
I'm no lawyer, but it is my camera/SD card, and you should be able to do whatever you want with it. Wouldn't they need a warrant, like with a cell phone? It's my property, not there camera.

Also, you have the cloud recording/upload part if they knew about it and wanted to subpoena I guess.

Remember the days of no cell phones and just a middle finger??? I miss that when it comes to driving.

I typically use Blackvue for my work trucks, but don't put them in my sports cars or fun trucks. I'm not 100% sure, but I imagine LEO could use the footage against you in court if, for instance, you are excessively exceeding the speed limit... Particularly if you conveniently show them your speedometer during the filming.
Just food for thought.

Some Blackvue models have front and rear cameras. I imagine you could use the rear camera as an interior camera somehow to shoot the speedo, but I'm sure there is a better set up out there for that type of thing. Given all the split screen YouTube videos that show the instrument cluster view as well as through the front window there must be some set up that does both.
Yes to all of this.

Actually if you hold the little button for 5 seconds it reformats the memory card wiping all video. I do this all the time with mine.

Attachments

• 335DBEB1-2D1E-4456-A8E3-C6245839401A.jpeg
    335DBEB1-2D1E-4456-A8E3-C6245839401A.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 16
what model do you use?
Mine is a BlackVue dr750s-2channel. It’s a couple of models old now, I believe the new models are in the 900 range. Also you can get sd cards that work off Amazon way cheaper than blackvue’s, but you have to be cautious because some sd cards will not work.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions...

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers
Back