Clunk, Thump, Bump

OkieTRX80

TRX Fiend
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2019 Ram 1500 / 2021 TRX No_LE
Hey guys just wanted to update y’all on another issue I had and have resolved.

At about 2000+ miles I started to feel a bump when coming to a stop, taking off, and seems to happen when I apply brake or release break. I’ve been reading on the FB groups that others are having a similar issue and are being told that it’s normal. I call BS, cause that shit wasn’t like that the first 2000 miles, so not normal.

I had one of my tech pull it in and went through the whole driveline/suspension and we found nothing. lastly we removed the driveshaft, lubricated the shaft, put her back together and this clunk is no longer there, even 500 miles of driving have been clunkless .

The problem is the driveshaft. I have ordered one for mine. But they are on a galactic backorder and on revised part number 3, which tells me that they know there is a problem. 😹😹 as of today, there is no service bulletins for this issue.

I had one of my tech pull it in and went through the whole driveline/suspension and we found nothing. lastly we removed the driveshaft, lubricated the shaft, put her back together and this clunk is no longer there, even 500 miles of driving have been clunkless .
Front or rear?

This is a common problem on Ford trucks, and on those trucks it can be so severe that it feels like you’ve been rear ended. It can be felt as a bump as the truck settles to a stop - the harder you stop the harder the bump as the rear settles.

Grease the slip yoke on rear driveshaft to solve it. There is really no need to replace the entire driveshaft.

This is a common problem on Ford trucks, and on those trucks it can be so severe that it feels like you’ve been rear ended. It can be felt as a bump as the truck settles to a stop - the harder you stop the harder the bump as the rear settles.

Grease the slip yoke on rear driveshaft to solve it. There is really no need to replace the entire driveshaft.

yup, exactly

I replied that it was probably the rear drive shaft on another thread months ago. That was due to it being a big problem on at least the Gen 1 Raptor so I am not at all surprised by your findings

Eek. That stinks. I am approaching 2k. If I get the bump happening, I will just trade out and get a 2022 later. Thanks for sharing the info.

At about 2000+ miles I started to feel a bump when coming to a stop, taking off, and seems to happen when I apply brake or release break. I’ve been reading on the FB groups that others are having a similar issue and are being told that it’s normal. I call BS, cause that shit wasn’t like that the first 2000 miles, so not normal.

The problem is the driveshaft. I have ordered one for mine. But they are on a galactic backorder and on revised part number 3, which tells me that they know there is a problem. 😹😹 as of today, there is no service bulletins for this issue.
Thanks for the tip. Any specific grease?

Trying to confirm. Is the grease nipple under the boot? Picture is of the front of the rear driveshaft.

20210727_192643.jpg

There is no grease nipple. You have to take the driveshaft out at the rear and take apart the joint underneath that boot. Clean out old grease and then apply new grease and re-install everything.

There may not be any ram specific YouTube videos covering this, but this slip joint is similar in most trucks regardless of brand.

Eek. That stinks. I am approaching 2k. If I get the bump happening, I will just trade out and get a 2022 later. Thanks for sharing the info.
I feel the same way JumpSquadAuto. I probably should have waited until the 2022's came out anyways, and I would have had the Uconnect 5! I just didn't know I would get my truck so late! My build took forever to complete. If I knew that going into it I would have waited for the 2022

Hi Okie. GM trucks had a similar issue. My son had one and GM dealer pumped to spline full of grease. It stopped, but I have read too much grease can also cause problems. Thanks, and appreciate any updates you hear. Take cate

Thanks for sharing. My truck just started doing this as well. Gonna take the drive shaft out this weekend and grease it up. What is the torque spec for the drive shaft bolts?

Thanks for sharing. My truck just started doing this as well. Gonna take the drive shaft out this weekend and grease it up. What is the torque spec for the drive shaft bolts?
Check @1OF1ACR post in this thread first:

Back