Choosing a Dealer for Order

JCO

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2018 Toyota Tacoma
Hey all, wanting to get some opinions on how to choose a dealer.

Here are the options I have so far:
  1. Smaller, local dealer :
    • Taking orders for $500 deposit, selling at MSRP
    • 9 trucks on order, only one has begun production
    • Salesperson said "No allocations, customer orders will be built first, and take priority."
    • Saying no idea when to expect delivery
  2. Larger multi state/regional dealer
    • Taking order for $2k deposit, selling at MSRP
    • 12 trucks on order, said they had 5 allocation spots that are all taken
    • Saying delivery after July sometime
The rest of the dealers I've spoken with have significant "market adjustments" of up to $25k over MSRP, which is a non-starter for me.

So the question is: Do you guys know if the size of the dealer makes a difference in how quickly you get an order built? Which dealer would you guys go with and why?

Appreciate the input! :love:

I ordered through Dave Smith in Idaho. He told me they are a massive dealer, which could help my chances of getting a TRX.

They required a $1000 deposit and the truck would be at MSRP.

The sales rep, Henry Duval, has been helpful and responsive to my questions.

Reactions: JCO
I ordered through Dave Smith in Idaho. He told me they are a massive dealer, which could help my chances of getting a TRX.

They required a $1000 deposit and the truck would be at MSRP.

The sales rep, Henry Duval, has been helpful and responsive to my questions.
Thanks for the heads up!

Seems logical that larger dealers would get served first, but, admittedly, I have no idea if that's how it works or not.

Thanks for the heads up!

Seems logical that larger dealers would get served first, but, admittedly, I have no idea if that's how it works or not.
I’m not sure either, but makes sense ?

There was speculation that allocations where based on Raptor sales in the region. I believe TX had the most trucks in D1 status but who knows. One truck in D1 was going to Hawaii and the New England area only had a couple trucks get a vin. I don't have data to say if dealer size is a factor.

Right now you should be to find someone that has a dealer order and get it converted to a customer order. I've seen probably 20 people in the FB group cancel their order, so you might be able to shop around to find some in a similar situation. I had to go out of state myself to Ohio for an allocation at MSRP 8 hours from home.

If I had to wait til July, I'd wait a couple more months and just get a '22. You'll get Uconnect 5, probably some more color options, and possibly a better deal since Ford is going to unveil the new Raptor.

There was speculation that allocations where based on Raptor sales in the region. I believe TX had the most trucks in D1 status but who knows. One truck in D1 was going to Hawaii and the New England area only had a couple trucks get a vin. I don't have data to say if dealer size is a factor.

Right now you should be to find someone that has a dealer order and get it converted to a customer order. I've seen probably 20 people in the FB group cancel their order, so you might be able to shop around to find some in a similar situation. I had to go out of state myself to Ohio for an allocation at MSRP 8 hours from home.

If I had to wait til July, I'd wait a couple more months and just get a '22. You'll get Uconnect 5, probably some more color options, and possibly a better deal since Ford is going to unveil the new Raptor.

Appreciate the info and advice.

I've probably reach out to 10 dealers so far with mixed results. The best being what I mentioned in my post. Most of them wanted close to $25k over MSRP, which is just silly imo. Maybe I'll reach out to a few more to see if I can find a dealer order per your suggestion.

I need a vehicle by April, but I’ll find a way to make it work until I get one.

I need a vehicle by April, but I’ll find a way to make it work until I get one.

I’m in the same boat. Bigger family on deck. Need more space ASAP. For now we’ll just cram into the Tacoma ?

I took a dealer stock order from Autonation in Houston and had them change the name from the dealer to mine as a “sold order”. They were selling at MSRP and required a $1000 deposit.

I’m in the same boat. Bigger family on deck. Need more space ASAP. For now we’ll just cram into the Tacoma ?
I used to have a base 1994 Toyota pickup with the bench seat that was crammed against the rear window. It was always fun having my daughter's legs hang over the blue plastic dashboard... What was I thinking. My Mini Cooper S didn't provide much room for the two kids either. They learned to sit "criss cross apple sauce" in the back seat. They just have to stretch out before walking again... ?

I used to have a base 1994 Toyota pickup with the bench seat that was crammed against the rear window. It was always fun having my daughter's legs hang over the blue plastic dashboard... What was I thinking. My Mini Cooper S didn't provide much room for the two kids either. They learned to sit "criss cross apple sauce" in the back seat. They just have to stretch out before walking again... ?

I used to have 1992 Toyota pickup, so I know exactly what you mean ?. The current gen is small for a car seat, I can't imagine trying to fit one in that tiny cabin!

Hey all, wanting to get some opinions on how to choose a dealer.

Here are the options I have so far:
  1. Smaller, local dealer :
    • Taking orders for $500 deposit, selling at MSRP
    • 9 trucks on order, only one has begun production
    • Salesperson said "No allocations, customer orders will be built first, and take priority."
    • Saying no idea when to expect delivery
  2. Larger multi state/regional dealer
    • Taking order for $2k deposit, selling at MSRP
    • 12 trucks on order, said they had 5 allocation spots that are all taken
    • Saying delivery after July sometime
The rest of the dealers I've spoken with have significant "market adjustments" of up to $25k over MSRP, which is a non-starter for me.

So the question is: Do you guys know if the size of the dealer makes a difference in how quickly you get an order built? Which dealer would you guys go with and why?

Appreciate the input! :love:

Make sure the dealer you choose has an allocation. It doesn’t matter how FCA determines allocation just make sure your dealer has one for you. Otherwise will be forever until you get one. Also sold order means nothing without allocation so don’t be fooled by that. Just my two cents

Latest Discussions...

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers
Back