Ceramic Coating & Fender Flare protect

Bavanew

TRX Fiend
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2016 F350 Platinum
My truck is at a detailing shop until Saturday, as it's getting several coats of ceramic coating.
I'm also having the vulnerable areas (lower fenders, door sills, etc.) covered with 3M shield tape.

It was only while I was reviewing with the shop manager the areas that I wanted protected, that I noticed how well shielded the lower fenders are, directly behind the wheels.

The plastic fender mouldings protrude quite a bit behind each wheel. The main impact zone is shielded. Of course, beyond that, those areas are still vulnerable, which is why I'm applying 3M shield tape.

Anyway, I thought it was worthwhile sharing with those of you looking to provide additional paint protection.

I seen TFL talk about the tires throwing up a lot

Im new in colorado and it snows a lot.... i want either the ppf or ceramic coating but leaning towards the ppf. The slush crud just sticks to the wheel wells and along the sides of the whole vehicle. And the back wheels of the vehicle in front if you are too close also throw all that stuff on the car/truck.

I seen TFL talk about the tires throwing up a lot
Yeah, there's no avoiding what these wheels project towards the vehicle. You can only provide additional protection. The front of the rear fenders receives the most impact.
Mud flaps (when available) should assist greatly.

My truck is at a detailing shop until Saturday, as it's getting several coats of ceramic coating.
I'm also having the vulnerable areas (lower fenders, door sills, etc.) covered with 3M shield tape.

It was only while I was reviewing with the shop manager the areas that I wanted protected, that I noticed how well shielded the lower fenders are, directly behind the wheels.

The plastic fender mouldings protrude quite a bit behind each wheel. The main impact zone is shielded. Of course, beyond that, those areas are still vulnerable, which is why I'm applying 3M shield tape.

Anyway, I thought it was worthwhile sharing with those of you looking to provide additional paint protection.
Are you comfortable sharing approximately how much you are being charged for the clearcoat and protective wrap?

Im new in colorado and it snows a lot.... i want either the ppf or ceramic coating but leaning towards the ppf. The slush crud just sticks to the wheel wells and along the sides of the whole vehicle. And the back wheels of the vehicle in front if you are too close also throw all that stuff on the car/truck.
Colorado clear bra is one of the best places you can take your truck for ceramic coating and paint protection film. I’ll be taking my truck there immediately after I pick it up.

Are you comfortable sharing approximately how much you are being charged for the clearcoat and protective wrap?
For sure. It's no secret that we all paid the equivalent of a house mortgage, so there's no point treading lightly around the small expenditures. Lol
I do ppreciate you asking the way you did, though.

I went to the two most reputable places around me. One place estimated at 1,200 for the ceramic and the second place was 1,000. I know of thee people who had gone to the owner/operator who had quoted me at 1,000.
Note: That price is for several coats of ceramic (5 year protection) and there will be very little to no paint correction required. Also, the same place is able to do 3M wrap, whereas the higher quoted place did not offer that service.
I only have small sections of wrap being applied (Bottom of all fender and door sills). Price estimated to be 150.00.

I'm having the whole truck wrapped in paint protection film. Paying $7,500. I work in the oilfield so alot of dirt roads. Don't plan to use it as my work truck but the few times I drive it out on these rough roads behind all kinds of big rigs kicking rocks and everything else on the road up at me I don't want to worry about it

I'm having the whole truck wrapped in paint protection film. Paying $7,500. I work in the oilfield so alot of dirt roads. Don't plan to use it as my work truck but the few times I drive it out on these rough roads behind all kinds of big rigs kicking rocks and everything else on the road up at me I don't want to worry about it
Did you opt for the "unlimited dent & ding, windshield chip and alloy wheel repair" package from your dealer? (Assuming that it was offered).

I’m looking forward to getting the ceramic coating but not so sure a $7500 dollar package would be the right choice for me. I’m not looking for a show truck. I’m looking more for a go truck I can drive everyday and not get butt hurt if it gets a scratch.

I’m looking forward to getting the ceramic coating but not so sure a $7500 dollar package would be the right choice for me. I’m not looking for a show truck. I’m looking more for a go truck I can drive everyday and not get butt hurt if it gets a scratch.
I get why TRX87 is getting the whole truck wrapped, as it has the potential of looking like it passed through a meteor shower. So, it's more than just scratches that he's trying to prevent. I paid $1,200 for unlimited dent or ding repairs, in which I hope I NEVER have to use it, but it's good insurance to have on this vehicle.

I get why TRX87 is getting the whole truck wrapped, as it has the potential of looking like it passed through a meteor shower. So, it's more than just scratches that he's trying to prevent. I paid $1,200 for unlimited dent or ding repairs, in which I hope I NEVER have to use it, but it's good insurance to have on this vehicle.
Exactly, got my raptor wrapped and it was the best choice i ever made! No door dings, swirls or chips on the paint when i sold it. Wrapping the whole truck is not cheap but i want to keep the factory paint as mint as possible. Hoping to pass this truck to my kids some day and i want it to look as good as the day i pick it up (whenever that is)

Exactly, got my raptor wrapped and it was the best choice i ever made! No door dings, swirls or chips on the paint when i sold it. Wrapping the whole truck is not cheap but i want to keep the factory paint as mint as possible. Hoping to pass this truck to my kids some day and i want it to look as good as the day i pick it up (whenever that is)
Curious, are you getting a vinyl wrap or the clear bra (urethane) wrap? I can't get over how expensive that is. That's like 10K CAD.
Did they breakdown the price (material/labor)?

Except for this vehicle, I have always purchased my own 3M clear bra and applied it myself (fenders, sills, hood edge). It took me longer to apply it than it would have taken for a professional shop, but the final result was still a professional finish. I applied some to a 2006 vehicle about 12-13 ago, and according to the present owner (who I keep in contact with) the tape is still holding up well. Granted, applying it the entirety of the vehicle is a much bigger job and requires a lot of experience. But, when I consider the price of the product and the labor time, there's got to be one hell of markup. Or, I'm severely out of touch with reality.

Anyway, I'm not trying to dissuade you from proceeding, I'm just trying to wrap my head around that price.

Thx

Last edited:
Curious, are you getting a vinyl wrap or the clear bra (urethane) wrap? I can't get over how expensive that is. That's like 10K CAD.
Did they breakdown the price (material/labor)?

Except for this vehicle, I have always purchased my own 3M clear bra and applied it myself (fenders, sills, hood edge). It took me longer to apply it than it would have taken for a professional shop, but the final result was still a professional finish. I applied some to a 2006 vehicle about 12-13 ago, and according to the present owner (who I keep in contact with) the tape is still holding up well. Granted, applying it the entirety of the vehicle is a much bigger job and requires a lot of experience. But, when I consider the price of the product and the labor time, there's got to be one hell of markup. Or, I'm severely out of touch with reality.

Anyway, I'm not trying to dissuade you from proceeding, I'm just trying to wrap my head around that price.

Thx
Im getting every square inch of the truck wrapped top to bottom front to back in the clear protective film. Some places quoted me 10k! Like i said its not cheap but they warranty it for 5 years and if the film gets damaged you only replace that panel. Its expensive but the peace of mind i have when i hear shit bouncing off my truck is priceless. BTW I'm not good at doing these kinds of things so doing it myself is out of the question.... i wish i was but i know my limitations.

Im getting every square inch of the truck wrapped top to bottom front to back in the clear protective film. Some places quoted me 10k! Like i said its not cheap but they warranty it for 5 years and if the film gets damaged you only replace that panel. Its expensive but the peace of mind i have when i hear shit bouncing off my truck is priceless. BTW I'm not good at doing these kinds of things so doing it myself is out of the question.... i wish i was but i know my limitations.
The environment you'll be traveling in would definitely result in heftier costs to repair your vehicle in the long run, plus the depreciation of value due to accumulated damages. In your case, it definitley makes sense. Seeing as you're spending that much, and assuming that it's available to you, you might want to consider the unlimited dent and ding repair package form Ram. It cost me $1,200 CAD, Probably $900 USD. Your PPF will certainly help, but if you do receive a large projectile from a large truck, there's still a good chance that it'll still dent the vehicle. (no scratch, though) In such a case, without paint damage, the dealer should be able to remove the dent without having to remove your PPF. I grilled my dealer about all scenarios that could result in dents and dings. There are no questions asked, Show up and they repair. One small dent pays for itself.

The environment you'll be traveling in would definitely result in heftier costs to repair your vehicle in the long run, plus the depreciation of value due to accumulated damages. In your case, it definitley makes sense. Seeing as you're spending that much, and assuming that it's available to you, you might want to consider the unlimited dent and ding repair package form Ram. It cost me $1,200 CAD, Probably $900 USD. Your PPF will certainly help, but if you do receive a large projectile from a large truck, there's still a good chance that it'll still dent the vehicle. (no scratch, though) In such a case, without paint damage, the dealer should be able to remove the dent without having to remove your PPF. I grilled my dealer about all scenarios that could result in dents and dings. There are no questions asked, Show up and they repair. One small dent pays for itself.
I will definitely look into to that thanks for the heads up!

I will definitely look into to that thanks for the heads up!
Actually, the plan covers much more than that. See attached. Sometimes, not often, certain insurance plans can be really good!

Attachments

• 20210127_170257.jpg
    20210127_170257.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 93
Holy cow $1,200 to fix one dent?!?!?!? the dealers in Canada are clearly screwing you guys. Around me PDR (paintless dent removal) costs like $50-$100 per dent depending the size of the dent

Holy cow $1,200 to fix one dent?!?!?!? the dealers in Canada are clearly screwing you guys. Around me PDR (paintless dent removal) costs like $50-$100 per dent depending the size of the dent
Let me clarify. I've never used the PDR service, so, assuming that you come in with a 1" OD dent, then yes, I suppose it should be relatively cheap to repair. However, my question to the dealer was, "What if I have a large dent and you can't get away with using your PDR method?" (Apparently, PDR only works if they can get their tools/instrument behind the dent) So, in a case where PDR is not possible, they'll still fix the dent. The last dent I had repaired was back in 2001. Came out of Home Depot to find an 8" to 9" dent, directly over the 4x4 decal of the D R quarter panel. That was $800 and change plus taxes back then. So, I felt it safe to assume that a similar type dent would run about $1,200 nowadays. But, perhaps with this PDR method it's much cheaper.

Latest Discussions...

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com
Back