Can the shark fin antenna be shaved down?

MrBonus

TRX Fan
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 TRX, '71 911 2.7 hot rod
So I measured the height of my garage and should fit but I don't due to the shark fin being ~.1" too high which I found out lightly scrapes the entry (and leaves a beautiful black mark). I believe this is due to my garage flooring which starts a few inches after the entry point to the garage.

Has anyone tried shaving the top of the antenna? I watched a video on removal and am not feeling confident in finding an appropriate plug to prevent water intrusion for the highest point on a $80,000 truck but I am fine if I have take a little hair off the top so I can use my garage.

Last edited:
I think this is definitely one of those "at your own risk" type of mods. .1" inch is really close. I might consider slightly airing down the tires a bit before touching that antenna

Has anyone tried shaving the top of the antenna? I watched a video on removal and am not feeling confident in finding an appropriate plug to prevent water intrusion for the highest point on a $80,000 truck but I am fine if I have take a little hair off the top so I can use my garage.

I'd suspect you'd have better luck using a thinner piece of wood for the top of the garage door jamb.

p.s. . . . unless of course you do not own the home.

78695532-A9DC-4DCA-836B-06F68EEBEAD1.jpeg

As an aside, this is a comical size comparison.

I think this is definitely one of those "at your own risk" type of mods. .1" inch is really close. I might consider slightly airing down the tires a bit before touching that antenna

I think I’m resigned to giving my wife back one of the bays. It’s a truck, an expensive truck, but just a truck so it can sit outside. I appreciate this idea for the sake of detailing it though and will give it a try.

Any chance you could measure your door height. I am pretty sure it will fit in the garage when i get it but seems you could give me exactly the measurement i need!

Any chance you could measure your door height. I am pretty sure it will fit in the garage when i get it but seems you could give me exactly the measurement i need!

Most standard garage door-openings are 7-foot ( 84") or 8-foot (96") tall.

A Stock TRX is 80.9 in height.

Most standard garage door-openings are 7-foot ( 84") or 8-foot (96") tall.

A Stock TRX is 80.9 in height.
My house was built in the 50s and stuccoed over, and the garage floor is not as uniform as i would like especially at the entrance where it meets asphalt. Not much standard about it. Having a measurement that shows exactly what height these trucks touch a garage opening would be great info. If you are 100 percent sure it is 80.9 from floor to top of fin then i should be fine. His garage height would tell me darn near exactly.

If you are 100 percent sure it is 80.9 from floor to top of fin then i should be fine. His garage height would tell me darn near exactly.

Grain of salt then, like many here, I do not have anything more than a TRX VIN number at this point . . . :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

. . . but RAM specs tell me it's 80.9 inches tall. 🤷‍♂️

Also, every driveway/garage opening will be different as concrete levels, driveway approach angles, and all that very, of course.
But it never hurts to collect more info. Right? I'm right there with ya'. Made this measurement myself a few weeks ago. :eek:

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com
Back