California TRX owners, How does it do on 91 octane?

Informal

TRX Addict
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2022 TRX
Just curious... Not close enough to a border to jump over to AZ or Nevada for 93...

How's it doing?

Have you had a chance to run some 93 through it?

Any huge difference?

No 93 here either. We're a part of that shitty triangle of crap 91 (ACN) gas

Yet a place down the street from me sells E85 that clocked in at like E90 every time I tested it.

The only time I used 93 was when I drove it back from OH. And I was like a little kid playing around with everything and pissing on the seat like a puppy. I am not sure if I would really be able to tell a significant difference even if CA had the choice. But I would definitely use it!

Some engine dyno testing (surprisingly) showed no difference in power output between 87 and even 116 octane gas. But that wasn't with all the fancy electronics a modern engine comes with.

At this altitude, I don't really need 93...even if I could get it.

I’ve never backed to backed it in this platform, but it’s most likely worth 5-15hp tops. (93 to 91).

You really notice the gain in octane when you have boost that can adjust more to conditions (turbo) instead of a blower with rpm based impeller speed, and only timing advance adjusting to conditions…..

I’ve never backed to backed it in this platform, but it’s most likely worth 5-15hp tops. (93 to 91).

You really notice the gain in octane when you have boost that can adjust more to conditions (turbo) instead of a blower with rpm based impeller speed, and only timing advance adjusting to conditions…..
Hello all, I'm new here but just ordered my TRX. I saw this content on Octane and people have a misconception on it. Octane does not give you any Horsepower increase, it actually helps with pre ignition and may get a boost in mileage and another benefit is that the higher Octane burns cooler and why they want you to use a higher Octane is because this engine can get extremely hot without the higher Octane and in California's case the 91 Octane still is under the necessary threshold to operate like intended. If anybody questions this, please google it and you will get everything you need to know on it. Later

Have to ask...what happens if someone puts something other than 93 octane gas in their truck for an extended period of time?

I'm not in California, but my owner's manual specifically calls for 91 (or higher).

Reactions: Two
Been on 91 since day one. No detectable difference using 93.

My advice? Worry about other things.

Watch "How the Universe Works" and you'll be worried about aliens, supernova explosions, cosmic rays, gamma ray bursts, starquakes on magentars, microscopic black holes, and no telling how many other things.

Stock timing map is pretty aggressive for the TRX (all HC vehicles). Which means in a lot of sub optimum conditions you will get some detonation and the STKR (short term knock retard) adjustments kick in to aggressively pull timing. 93 gives you a little extra cushion versus 91 for when detonation starts occurring. Basically if you are running 91 and the intake charge is cold then you won’t see a difference with 93. If you have a hot enough charge to pull timing then 93 can help prevent that to a limited point and make more power.

This has probably been asked but what’s better.. 91 with no ethanol or 93 with 10% ethanol?

Watch "How the Universe Works" and you'll be worried about aliens, supernova explosions, cosmic rays, gamma ray bursts, starquakes on magentars, microscopic black holes, and no telling how many other things.
Sodium will get you a million times over before even one of those things will harm you.

What's the big idea interjecting logic into our conversation? If I couldn't break with logic once in a while I never could have convinced myself to spend $100k on an orange truck. 😁

Latest Discussions...

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers
Back