Break in period.. oil change at 500 miles?

trxhuhu

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 RAM TRX
Just seeing what everyones doin for break in. From what i have heard, dont beat on it till 500 miles and an oil change. I have also heard 300 and then beat on it. I know what the owners manual says but im curious what everyone else is doing. I just hit 270 miles in mine.

I waited till 300 to hit it. I just hit 1k miles. Going to get an oil change soon

I’ve read studies that show little to no difference in engine wear after both types of break in techniques and I’ve successfully used the beat it technique, so that’s what I’m doing and will change oil at 500 miles then every 5000 going forward.

Last edited:
You're going to get so many responses to this question. In addition to the ones already mentioned you will see "Lawyers wrote the manual to be on the safe side", "engines are run after assembled", "beat on it from the start and don't look back.", "heat cycles are key".

I think the break in is more about the rest of the truck than the motor and I will do what has worked for me in the past. If this is your first "performance vehicle" then do what you think is right. You probably got a warranty so have fun with it if that's what you want. It takes some serious will power NOT to have fun especially when you start to feel what the truck is capable of. Rolling down the freeway at 55 is painful!!

Enjoy you truck!

My truck had 18 miles on it I’m sure 17 were full throttle , it’s beat on before you get it , I used to deliver motorcycles when I was 17 lmaoooo, it’s fine , I have 1200 miles on mine just trailered my car 700 of those still on delivered oil ,

The "when should I do the first oil change?" question is akin to the "where should I put my gas cap when filling up?" question in the motorcycle forum world....

I'm going to change mine at 1500 being I'm not breaking the over 85 mph suggestion. Then look out.

I milked it for 1st 100, I added more throttle under load to get downshifts going up hills and such till 300, I used the whole rev range from 300-400 miles, from 400-500 I tipped in to WOT, at 550 miles I used launch control and multiple WOT pulls from 0-100mph. I just had the oil changed at 700 miles and I will be keeping my giggle per mile very high until I do another oil change at 1500 miles.

I’ve read studies that show little to no difference in engine wear after both types of break in techniques and I’ve successfully used the beat it technique, so that’s what I’m doing and will change oil at 500 miles then every 5000 going forward.
So many people say they changed it at 500 miles but this doesnt make sense to me. The manual says the truck is continuing to break in for the 1st 1500 so unless your oil is black or filled with metal shavings, why not wait until at least 1500 when the break-in is theoretically over?

You're correct. if you're really worried about it spin another filter on and run a few thousand miles.

In reality engines today have such perfect tolerances the break in is pretty much a joke. I always take it easy for a few hundred miles then put into normal service. never had a problem.

I bounced it off the rev limiter at 23 miles on the way out of the dealer lot and I’ll be changing the oil when the oil minder says so. 1500 miles in and the oil looks like it just came out of the bottle. Y’all are overthinking things in a big way.

I stayed at around 60 mph max for the first 100 miles and then around 70 to 75 mph max for miles 200-300. At 300 I started to let it rev out more using the paddles and stomped on it for a few short bursts until like 450 miles and around 450 I started laying into it a bit more then at 500 I was letting it rip. I did an oil change at around 1300 miles. Ive had no issues at all so far and im glad that i by and large stuck to the break in procedure. If you dont and something goes wrong you may always have that in the back of your mind that you should have done the break in right. Who knows if that wouldve changed anything but still.

Also another note that the break in is really more for the driveline, brakes, etc rather than the engine since they break in all the hellcat motors at the factory by running them for like 45 minutes or something like that.

Latest Discussions...

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers
Back