Borla vs. Corsa vs... (1 Exhaust to rule them all)

I actaully just installed my Corsa Extreme system, it's been sitting in the garage since October an finally had the time to install it last week in my garage.

The system sounds great and the quality is there. It's just how I wanted it to sound from the outside with cold starts, nice idle, and when I get on the throttle. However, I took a road trip and will admit after an hour or two on the highway going 70mph-80mph I can hear a drone especially while on the throttle between 2,500 - 3,500 RPM.

Coasting or going downhill its silent or just about stock sounding.

I know some my call it a drone, others may say you can finally hear the engine!

It doesn't particularly bother me a lot to change it back to stock just yet, but I'm going to install a pair of the Corsa 2-3 dB packed resonators somewhere on the system where there is space to install them and see how that sounds.

To be honest, I hear the cruising drone on the Corsa system louder than the factory TRX drone.

Again, this is all subjective but it's how my ears are interpreting it, and wife & kid's ears are more sensitive than mine apparently and their faces were not thrilled of the change lol

All in all, honestly I wish I would have left it alone and spent the almost $2k on something else, but at this point it's done so trying to tone it down slightly or just switch back to factory system.

I've had Corsa Extremes on Vettes, Camaros and GM Trucks & SUVs with good results.

This also happened to me when I installed Corsa on my Grand Cherokee Hemi and I was surprised, since I never had drone with Corsa in my prior GM V8s.

I just think the Hemis have a different tone / hum (not bad) to them over the Vortecs / LT4s / etc.

Oh well.....

Hrmm - that hasn't been my experience.

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious, but:
  1. Are you using the active noise cancellation (ie: using auto mode)?
  2. Are you sure you're in 8th gear?
Reason I ask is that in order to get up to 2500+ RPM's (where I agree there is some mid-range drone/hum) in 8th gear, I recon I need to be doing over 130km/hr which is ticket territory up here in the great white north and thus rarely find myself cruising here.

For me, 'cruising' speeds of around 115-125km/hr (72-79mph) yield a pretty quiet cabin with no drone. (Not to mention fuel economy goes from 'funny' bad to 'no-so-funny' bad beyond this).

I threw this video together to try and illustrate:

You'll need headphones on to hear it, but comparing stock to Corsa at around 110km/hr (~68mph), the Corsa is at least as quiet as stock - if not a touch quieter provided I'm in 8th gear and using active noise cancellation.

Admittedly I did not compare this at 80mph but I suspect the in-cabin noise to be similar.

However, a good tip for anyone concerned with drone - if any of your driving habits / preferences puts you 'cruising' at north of 2500rpms - you WILL get get a midrange drone/hum.

Last edited:
Hrmm - that hasn't been my experience.

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious, but:
  1. Are you using the active noise cancellation (ie: using auto mode)?
  2. Are you sure you're in 8th gear?
Reason I ask is that in order to get up to 2500+ RPM's (where I agree there is some mid-range drone/hum) in 8th gear, I recon I need to be doing over 130km/hr which is ticket territory up here in the great white north and thus rarely find myself cruising here.

For me, 'cruising' speeds of around 115-125km/hr (72-79mph) yield a pretty quiet cabin with no drone. (Not to mention fuel economy goes from 'funny' bad to 'no-so-funny' bad beyond this).

I threw this video together to try and illustrate:

You'll need headphones on to hear it, but comparing stock to Corsa at around 110km/hr (~68mph), the Corsa is at least as quiet as stock - if not a touch quieter provided I'm in 8th gear and using active noise cancellation.

Admittedly I did not compare this at 80mph but I suspect the in-cabin noise to be similar.

However, a good tip for anyone concerned with drone - if any of your driving habits / preferences puts you 'cruising' at north of 2500rpms - you WILL get get a midrange drone/hum.
Yes I can see how your review makes sense, and yes I am in Auto using the active noise cancellation.

And I have experimented in 6th, 7th and 8th gear and a bunch of different speeds and RPMs.

I will admit 8th gear going 60-65 mph isn't horrible, but that's not realistic considering most people are flying by you going 75. I am usually between 75 - 80mph.

I have found the sweet spot (less drone) at 2,000 rpm in 7th gear. At least for my ears and my particular TRX and Corsa Extreme set up.

8th gear in the mid / high 1,000 RPMs for me has a deeper annoying drone / hum to it for me to. It's just not as bad as the ear ringing drone when on the throttle at 2,500 - 3,500 RPM.

I guess I seem to find myself driving like a grandma with my big toe with the Corsa system when I am with my family because if I am heavy on the throttle the drone is pretty bad.

Again, all in all it's not horrible, I just find myself more keen to the stock system.

Which brings me to a light bulb that went off in my head today. I am going to try to put the stock end pipes after the Corsa to see how that sounds for giggles.

Corsa has 3 different systems, and their "Baja / Muffler delete system" utilizes the stock rear pipes that have the exhaust vents that act as resonators.

I'm going to try to run the Corsa muffler system with the stock TRX rear pipes with resonators to see what difference that makes, as the Corsa resonators I ordered are going to ship on the 17th of December.

I have another road trip on the 18th that we NEED to take my truck since there will be snow. So I'm either going to switch back to stock or find a solution with resonators before then.

I'll let everyone know what I'm able to see with my plan using the stock rear pipes.

Again, exhaust sound is subjective and understand your review, just that for some reason my set up wasn't really what I was fully expecting to hear inside the cabin with the Corsa.

But again, it is the Xtreme version. I would have been more likely to buy the Sport version if they made one.

Cheers!

Yes, another 'Borla vs Corsa vs the World' thread. Yay.

But this time, imagine one's right foot and right/left hands on paddles as control of a 700hp musical instrument.

More right foot = more volume. Cool.

But there's far more musicality to be extracted here.

After driving the stock exhaust for a few weeks, I've noticed some characteristics that I'd love to enhance and DON'T want to lose when making the choice:
  • On a hard pull, shifting manually near redline between 1st & 2nd / 2nd & 3rd let's out a glorious 'WHAAPP' that is an insta-smile every time. This MUST stay and if it's even more pronounced - AWESOME.
  • On moderate deceleration between 3k and 2k, there is a great mellow 'burble' - I love hearing this purr in casual driving; alternatively...
  • On a high RPM manual downshift that takes the revs north of 5k, there is a fanatic overrun / burble / backfire type sound - addictive.
Keep in mind, like a good citizen of the internet, I've completed all the pre-requisite research, scoured all the differing threads on this and other forums and watched / listened to alllll the youtube clips.

Which of course leads to the fundamental issues in making such a decision:
  • Cold starts, revs, idle and fly-bys can sound rather similar between stock/delete/catbacks when recorded on an Iphone (intended to normalize the audio signal). Doesn't do it justice, I get it.
  • I'm buying the damn thing, so I want to hear it! While no-drone is important, I DO want to hear a change in the cab / slider open / windows down. Unfortunately most clips are the above mentioned exterior cold starts / revs, etc
  • Launches & revs are awesome, but I find the more nuanced characteristics of the engine are best enjoyed when driving manually - again, not too many clips of this type (save for Winding Roads drive with the AWE system)
  • 'Good sound' is a highly subjective take.
While the AWE system looks cool, I'm interested in sticking with an x-pipe. And I know SLP's & deletes are great bang for the buck, but...

"The Borla is just more refined, tuned and provides the burbles on deceleration, chug at idle and crack at wide open throttle. It’s the complete sound experience with many different pitches and notes through the rpm range"

The above comment from @DMR & this thread discussing SLP's vs. Borla is SUPER helpful and exactly the type of feedback I'm after.

What I'd love Love LOVE is more feedback on the Corsa/Borla/AFE/MBRP system(s) from a more Audiophile's POV, and with any luck some footage of you and your FAVE system:
  • Driving in the truck, drivers perspective
  • Slider / windows open & closed
  • Manual shifting, recreating all the sounds listed above.
Thanks in advance folks, and I promise once I've made my decision I'll create an extensive video capturing all these difference sounds for future generations to...enjoy(?).
BORLA all the way!!!!!

My truck came with magnaflow xmod exhaust. Previous owner installed the Xtreme delete pipes and I can't believe how loud it is and still have no drone. Magnaflow truly out did themselves. But the price is hard to swallow. But that's because the system gives you three options for sound. So I have 4 mufflers sitting in my garage collecting dust.

Yesterday I swapped the Corsa end pipes after the Corsa muffler with the TRX factory end pipes (with the screen resonators) and wow what a difference!

So basically, now I am running the Corsa
System like the Borla system if that makes sense to all.

Also, I wanted to point out that now in Sport mode, I do hear the drone, although no where near what I had with the Corsa end pipes.

When I switch to Auto mode, drone goes away.

So basically what I am trying to point out: with the full Corsa system the drone didn’t improve at all when switched to Auto mode. It’s like the noise cancellation system didn’t pick up the frequency of the Corsa sound and no matter what mode, the noise cancellation system did not cancel out any noise from exhaust.

This was my experience at least.

So now I have the option if i want to hear the engine a bit more, I’ll just put it in Sport mode.

Again, the full Corsa system wasn’t horrible, I just prefer the set up now adding back the rear factory pipes with the screen resonators.

*Did I like the full Corsa system?

Yes. Just on longer drives more than 1 hour (especially with 3 kids and wife) I was questioning my decision.

*Is the way I have it set up now with Corsa mufflers & Mopar factory end pipes with screen resonators louder than stock? (on start up and when on the throttle?)

Yes, a little.

*Does it sound better than stock?

To me, yes. It has the characteristics of the Corsa sound I wanted, but a little more toned down than the original set up of the full Corsa Extreme system.

I’m happy with it now.

*Was is worth the almost $2k?

That’s the big question everyone else will need to ask before buying this system or the Borla system.

I’m just trying to help out others’ decisions as I made this choice and this is the outcome for me.

Cheers!

Yesterday I swapped the Corsa end pipes after the Corsa muffler with the TRX factory end pipes (with the screen resonators) and wow what a difference!

Also, I wanted to point out that now in Sport mode, I do hear the drone, although no where near what I had with the Corsa end pipes.

When I switch to Auto mode, drone goes away.

So basically what I am trying to point out: with the full Corsa system the drone didn’t improve at all when switched to Auto mode. It’s like the noise cancellation system didn’t pick up the frequency of the Corsa sound and no matter what mode, the noise cancellation system did not cancel out any noise from exhaust.

This was my experience at least.

So now I have the option if i want to hear the engine a bit more, I’ll just put it in Sport mode.

Again, the full Corsa system wasn’t horrible, I just prefer the set up now adding back the rear factory pipes with the screen resonators.

*Did I like the full Corsa system?

Yes. Just on longer drives more than 1 hour (especially with 3 kids and wife) I was questioning my decision.

*Is the way I have it set up now with Corsa mufflers & Mopar factory end pipes with screen resonators louder than stock? (on start up and when on the throttle?)

Yes, a little.

*Does it sound better than stock?

To me, yes. It has the characteristics of the Corsa sound I wanted, but a little more toned down than the original set up of the full Corsa Extreme system.

I’m happy with it now.

*Was is worth the almost $2k?

That’s the big question everyone else will need to ask before buying this system or the Borla system.

I’m just trying to help out others’ decisions as I made this choice and this is the outcome for me.

Cheers!

Sorry the corsa cat back had drone for you. I have the Borla atak system with the stock end pipes, but did close the resonator screens, and still have no drone. Since you added the stock end pipes back in, are you interested in selling the corsa end pipes? I wonder how easy it would be to marry them to the borla mufflers. I know Borla is coming out with end pipes soon as well, so may wait for them, but thought I would ask as an option.

Sorry the corsa cat back had drone for you. I have the Borla atak system with the stock end pipes, but did close the resonator screens, and still have no drone. Since you added the stock end pipes back in, are you interested in selling the corsa end pipes? I wonder how easy it would be to marry them to the borla mufflers. I know Borla is coming out with end pipes soon as well, so may wait for them, but thought I would ask as an option.
Thats good to know. I also have the Borla atak and one of my resonator screens are cracked. I would like to add the end pipes when there available. Im going to do the clamps over the screens until then. Hopefully it will stop the rattle from the broken screen. Did you put header tape under the clamps? Thanks

Thats good to know. I also have the Borla atak and one of my resonator screens are cracked. I would like to add the end pipes when there available. Im going to do the clamps over the screens until then. Hopefully it will stop the rattle from the broken screen. Did you put header tape under the clamps? Thanks

The Atak sounds amazing. I just put 3 inch clamps over the screens without any wrap, no issues to speak of, but will be putting on the end pipes once available to round it out.

Hey DMR

At the moment I’m going to keep them but I’ll keep you in mind if I decide to sell

Might put them back on once wife gets a V8 4x4 SUV as the TRX is the trip / family vehicle and perhaps when my wife gets a bigger vehicle I’ll put the Corsa pipes back on my TRX

I don’t really mind the extra noise but it’s the company that rides with me that does.

Any word on when these will be available? Looking at Borla ATAK, would like to do this in one shot.
I do not have any more info yet other then the pre production unit on a customer truck.

It will be able to mate up to a current production atak system though

(I'd also be happy to help you out price wise on one if youd like)

I do not have any more info yet other then the pre production unit on a customer truck.

It will be able to mate up to a current production atak system though

(I'd also be happy to help you out price wise on one if youd like)
I reached out to Borla directly on this and below was the response- Not sure if they’re making those yet. I of course told them they should.

Attachments

• IMG_8551.png
    IMG_8551.png
    186.9 KB · Views: 31

And that's why you should have just gone with the AWE system... H pipe, 0 drone, great sound, no compromises.

Cheers!

I can't understand why anyone would spend the money on an exhaust "system" that still uses the oem end pipes/tips. If you're going to go cheap just buy the SLPs and call it good.

And that's why you should have just gone with the AWE system... H pipe, 0 drone, great sound, no compromises.

I can't understand why anyone would spend the money on an exhaust "system" that still uses the oem end pipes/tips. If you're going to go cheap just buy the SLPs and call it good.
Awe doesn’t have that Borla growl. Awe sounds fantastic as all the other systems do, but for me Borla takes it.

I had a Corsa on my Limited and it sounded great , not greT on the TRX , I went with MBRP

Reactions: DMR

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers SDHQ Motorsports
Back