Belt Squealing after Rain/Dusty Areas - Ripatuned 13k miles

Jester

TRX Junkie
Reaction score
Current Ride
TRX
Military
Air Force
Anyone else running into this? I have a ripatuned incognito setup (not pinned) and this is the second time. The first time I thought it was me hammering it in the desert, so I changed the SC belt and problem solved.

It appears to be dust related, as I was following a horse trailer on the back roads for about 10 miles on a dusty road. Fired it up and it sounded like a pulley bearing was going. Stopped and hosed the pulleys down with water to try and stop the squealing, made it much better.

Then last week I was driving in the snow and rain here in CO and the squeal came back after a wet belt. Won't go away days later.

So WTF - this thing can't be that dust/rain sensitive. Wondering if it is the Gates belts they use. I ordered their pulley kit and tensioner and it finally came in (don't expect updates) It says a tougher belt on the upgrade, but same part number as the incognito setup on the new belt. No clue if this is a mistake or not, and trying to communicate with them without Facebook (don't have/want) is pretty much impossible. Yes I'm saying I'm not impressed with their customer service (there isn't any) .

So any stock or ripatumed setups having the same problem? I can't keep changing belts after dust or rain. You think the hemi tick/chirping sucks, this is fucking 100x worse.

I'm going to put the new pulley kit and tensioner on, but if this thing does it after the install I'll lose my mind, as that'll have me $2200 deep into ripatuned and I'll have to yank the setup if they are the cause vs stock. I'll look for a belt alternative as well.

RobR651

TRX Addict
Reaction score
Current Ride
2015 Ram 1500
Mine is stock and I’ve taken it on some
very dusty high desert trails and never heard any belt squeal whatsoever. It has to be your setup. I’m wondering if a pulley bearing is going out like you mentioned.

Mpavalanche1

TRX Fiend
Reaction score
Anyone else running into this? I have a ripatuned incognito setup (not pinned) and this is the second time. The first time I thought it was me hammering it in the desert, so I changed the SC belt and problem solved.

It appears to be dust related, as I was following a horse trailer on the back roads for about 10 miles on a dusty road. Fired it up and it sounded like a pulley bearing was going. Stopped and hosed the pulleys down with water to try and stop the squealing, made it much better.

Then last week I was driving in the snow and rain here in CO and the squeal came back after a wet belt. Won't go away days later.

So WTF - this thing can't be that dust/rain sensitive. Wondering if it is the Gates belts they use. I ordered their pulley kit and tensioner and it finally came in (don't expect updates) It says a tougher belt on the upgrade, but same part number as the incognito setup on the new belt. No clue if this is a mistake or not, and trying to communicate with them without Facebook (don't have/want) is pretty much impossible. Yes I'm saying I'm not impressed with their customer service (there isn't any) .

So any stock or ripatumed setups having the same problem? I can't keep changing belts after dust or rain. You think the hemi tick/chirping sucks, this is fucking 100x worse.

I'm going to put the new pulley kit and tensioner on, but if this thing does it after the install I'll lose my mind, as that'll have me $2200 deep into ripatuned and I'll have to yank the setup if they are the cause vs stock. I'll look for a belt alternative as well.
I have the incognito setup as well, but have not had any issues. Mine did not come with the green Gates belt that most did. They sent me the wrong belts and I had to purchase a serpentine belt from O'reily Auto Parts because I didn't want to wait for them to send a replacement. They told me the SC belt they sent will work fine. It is Gates, but it is black.

OP
Jester

Jester

TRX Junkie
Reaction score
Current Ride
TRX
Military
Air Force
I have the incognito setup as well, but have not had any issues. Mine did not come with the green Gates belt that most did. They sent me the wrong belts and I had to purchase a serpentine belt from O'reily Auto Parts because I didn't want to wait for them to send a replacement. They told me the SC belt they sent will work fine. It is Gates, but it is black.
Have you been in some major dusty conditions? Prior to that it was fine.

Another member PM'd me with the link below. I don't jnownof Ripatuned is on here, or any fan boys, but they do suck when it comes to any communication or details. Is what it is. If you are going to take my money, you need to deal with some level of support, especially if issues.

I'll try the RPM version.

Hpmaniac

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Current Ride
2020 gt500 2019 hellcat redeye
I have incognito and mine did same so I tried old trick from when I ran 30lbs boost on my vortech supercharged mustang. Go get a can of Napa brand belt dressing. It's basically vht in a can, sticky stuff. Sprayed it on belt while running ( just a little) problem solved. It happened to me on dusty road. Running a black bando belt.

Hpmaniac

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Current Ride
Btw I've done the belt dressing 2 times in 3k miles and it fixed issue for now. We used to run it on belts at the strip to make that extra lb of boost because we ran 8 rib set up. I've also used it on tires on the dyno to keep from spinning.

Bambi

The Stripper Hunter
TRX of the Month
RAM-TRX.com Legend
Reaction score
Current Ride
Ram TRX
Current Ride #2
Range Rover Sport supercharged, F-150 FX4, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Sounds like dust got under the belt and caused it to slip, which damaged the belt causing it to slip more.

Hpmaniac

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Current Ride
Sounds like dust got under the belt and caused it to slip, which damaged the belt causing it to slip more.
I agree. I didn't feel like changing belt so I tried the lazy fix lol.

Hpmaniac

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Current Ride
Mine started at the sand dunes. It was only at high rpm and honestly it sounded like light detonation. It was still making 13lbs of boost though.

Mpavalanche1

TRX Fiend
Reaction score

Another member PM'd me with the link below. I don't jnownof Ripatuned is on here, or any fan boys, but they do suck when it comes to any communication or details. Is what it is. If you are going to take my money, you need to deal with some level of support, especially if issues.

I have not. I live in the city and have not had a chance to go off road yet. I do drive it like I stole it, and no issues yet. I'm not sure of the difference between the green and the one that I received, but, they responded pretty quick when I emailed them. They were willing to refund me the cost of what I paid for the replacement serpentine belt tho. If you want the part number, I can try to get it for you. I kept all packaging just in case.

Mpavalanche1

TRX Fiend
Reaction score

Gates Micro-V K10059 10PK1509

ApexTRX

TRX Fan
Founding Member
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me. I ended up swapping the standard black belt for HD green belt and it’s been good for the last several hundred miles.

Bambi

The Stripper Hunter
TRX of the Month
RAM-TRX.com Legend
Reaction score
Current Ride
Ram TRX
Current Ride #2
@Jester yeah, I haven’t been super impressed with their CS either. Have a link to the RPM belt you are going to try? The hc forum link made it sound promising.

OP
Jester

Jester

TRX Junkie
Reaction score
Current Ride
TRX
Military
Air Force
@Jester yeah, I haven’t been super impressed with their CS either. Have a link to the RPM belt you are going to try? The hc forum link made it sound promising.
I don't yet, will try and find one and will post

Boosted

TRX Junkie
TRX of the Month
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 Ram TRX
Pulley going on tomorrow but now I’m thinking of getting the RPM belt too….

Bambi

The Stripper Hunter
TRX of the Month
RAM-TRX.com Legend
Reaction score
Current Ride
Ram TRX
Current Ride #2
Pulley going on tomorrow but now I’m thinking of getting the RPM belt too….
Black belt has been fine for a couple thousand hard miles if it makes you feel better

Boosted

TRX Junkie
TRX of the Month
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 Ram TRX
Black belt has been fine for a couple thousand hard miles if it makes you feel better
It actually does…. Glad I went with the black belt instead of green. 😎

OP
Jester

Jester

TRX Junkie
Reaction score
Current Ride
TRX
Military
Air Force
From Ripatuned.....

"Rpm belts are not good. The green HD belt is a matter of preference. They are consumable parts."

Thisnafter numerous back and forth. So keep a shitload on hand if you use it as a truck i guess.

If this is the case I regret going the ripatuned route and would probably not again. If you are keeping on the street I guess it should be fine.

I need (would like the supplier to) to find a better solution. Driving with the shrieking isn't going to work and will cause me to yank this setup. If I do I'll post for sale here.

Bambi

The Stripper Hunter
TRX of the Month
RAM-TRX.com Legend
Reaction score
Current Ride
Ram TRX
Current Ride #2
From Ripatuned.....

"Rpm belts are not good. The green HD belt is a matter of preference. They are consumable parts."

Thisnafter numerous back and forth. So keep a shitload on hand if you use it as a truck i guess.

If this is the case I regret going the ripatuned route and would probably not again. If you are keeping on the street I guess it should be fine.

I need (would like the supplier to) to find a better solution. Driving with the shrieking isn't going to work and will cause me to yank this setup. If I do I'll post for sale here.
Think this issue is unique to the ripatuned incognito? I would think most swaps would have the same result because all are causing that belt to move faster and more stress on the teeth of the belt.

I don’t know though. It’s my first HC motor.

Seems nuts there isn’t a belt that lasts longer than a few thousand miles. Their response is about the level of CS i’ve seen from them. Would’ve been nice if they could’ve answered about why the rpm belt isn’t good

OP
Jester

Jester

TRX Junkie
Reaction score
Current Ride
TRX
Military
Air Force
Think this issue is unique to the ripatuned incognito? I would think most swaps would have the same result because all are causing that belt to move faster and more stress on the teeth of the belt.

I don’t know though. It’s my first HC motor.

Seems nuts there isn’t a belt that lasts longer than a few thousand miles. Their response is about the level of CS i’ve seen from them. Would’ve been nice if they could’ve answered about why the rpm belt isn’t good
I don't know. As a follow-up to my comment about using it as an off-road truck I got the answer below. Maybe it is the tensioners. Who knows, I hope. It is like pulling teeth and I'm bothering them. I will install their pulley kit this weekend and report back over the next month. It would be nice to have a proper CS conversation, their shit is not cheap and is running on expensive motors, so a thorough and helpful answer would be nice. Is what it is. if their tensioner works, great, if not they suck.

"You have something going on with your pulley alignments or possibly a bad tensioner. We have seen vehicles with 1000 miles on them have failing tensioner"