TRX Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
Ford Raptor
Military
Navy veteran
Let’s talk about bed covers.

I have had the retrax pro for 3 years and while there’s a lot I appreciate about it, there’s also a lot that I don’t like.

It looks great, functions well most of the time, hasn’t faded much that I can tell. More waterproof that the backflip.

However, the water channel tubes on the front canister have broken twice. Both of them. They have cheap plastic attachment pieces that don’t hold up very well at all. Also, the stops at the back of the cover seem to move and I’m missing one now. The friction lock wears out over time. I hope to find an alternative that is of better quality for the TRX.

What bed covers do you have experience with and how have they held up?

I have a bakflip MX 4 bed cover. It is ok, but it is not holding up that well. After having it for about 18 months it is showing considerable wear and tear (seals cracking dried out, plastic pieces underneath where pull cords run cracked/broken, etc). This would be fine if I used the truck all the time and was in construction or something, but the truck has about 5000 miles on it in that time and really only commutes to my office (4 miles each way) and makes runs to Home Depot for stuff that wont fit in the Civic Type-R (you would be surprised what fits in these little cars).

This is my 2nd bakflip bed cover. The first one failed while I was living in New York due to the seals around the edges getting brittle and ripping. I blamed this on the extreme cold there and not the company. That cover only lasted about 1 year before being pretty much useless.

I may get another bed cover for the TRX when it arrives, and I know others have had great experiences with the bakflip brand, but this was my experience and I will be looking for another brand.

I have a bakflip MX 4 bed cover. It is ok, but it is not holding up that well. After having it for about 18 months it is showing considerable wear and tear (seals cracking dried out, plastic pieces underneath where pull cords run cracked/broken, etc). This would be fine if I used the truck all the time and was in construction or something, but the truck has about 5000 miles on it in that time and really only commutes to my office (4 miles each way) and makes runs to Home Depot for stuff that wont fit in the Civic Type-R (you would be surprised what fits in these little cars).

This is my 2nd bakflip bed cover. The first one failed while I was living in New York due to the seals around the edges getting brittle and ripping. I blamed this on the extreme cold there and not the company. That cover only lasted about 1 year before being pretty much useless.

I may get another bed cover for the TRX when it arrives, and I know others have had great experiences with the bakflip brand, but this was my experience and I will be looking for another brand.

My dad has the Bakflip on his f-150 and has had a similar experience. His leaks very bad too. I can say the Retrax Pro has held up better.

Check out the other thread on the forum......Tonneau Covers?

Let’s talk about bed covers.

I have had the retrax pro for 3 years and while there’s a lot I appreciate about it, there’s also a lot that I don’t like.

It looks great, functions well most of the time, hasn’t faded much that I can tell. More waterproof that the backflip.

However, the water channel tubes on the front canister have broken twice. Both of them. They have cheap plastic attachment pieces that don’t hold up very well at all. Also, the stops at the back of the cover seem to move and I’m missing one now. The friction lock wears out over time. I hope to find an alternative that is of better quality for the TRX.

What bed covers do you have experience with and how have they held up?
Check out the Pace Edwards Ultragroove Metal. Very similar to the Retrax Pro XR. Both covers are metal retractable and both have T-slot integration rails system so you can add cargo accessories to the top of the bed. The Pace Edwards cover also is spring loaded so it shuts really fast.

I've had the Pace Edwards for almost three years and seems to be working find and hasn't faded to the best of my knowledge. However, I think I may try the Retrax Pro XR for my new TRX as it has a lifetime warranty and want to try something different.

Good Luck!

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com
Back