Battrey Dead at one... advice?

cobrar97

TRX Fiend
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2019 RAM Limited
TRX has 1400 miles, with no trouble.
Come out of the store today, and the battery is dead. I carry a jump-box and it fired right up.
When I got home, battery was at 17% so I charged it overnight. No trouble the next day... but the following day it barely started, and the battery was real low again.
Any thoughts on what this is? Is it a battery drain from something, or a bad battery?
RAM dealer is 2 weeks out on service, so I thought I'd check here for any thoughts on it.

I had let my 21 sit for about a month in the garage. I was in and out of it but never turned it over. There are functions and things that are running while the truck is off. Radio stuff and what nots. Something is draining it a bit thats for sure. But shouldn't be something you're seeing in such a short time. I'd replace the battery.
When I had taken my truck in to have codes cleared from it draining too far, they just decided to replace the battery rather than troubleshoot it.
When I found the battery dead, there was a bright flash on the dash and lights and then it wouldn't start. Because of the way I put it in my garage when not driving, no jumpers were able to reach, so I had to rig an extension cord from my other TRX to the 21 and about 20 mins of letting it jump, it finally turned over and I put a trickle charger on for the night after I took it for a 20 min drive around the block...didn't want to get too far from home. Good times!

Next time you know you're going to park it for a while in a secure place, leave the hood popped open. After an hour or so (probably less would be OK), go out with a multimeter and check the battery draw. A little is OK, as Solaris mentioned. If its a a lot (multiple amps), something is drawing power when it shouldn't be.

Do you have any other accessories other than the power running boards? On other Ram 1500 forums, I have heard of the boards (both factory installed and dealer installed) sometimes "staying awake" and draining the battery, but it could be anything. I'd just look at non-factory stuff first if there is a draw.

If no abnormal draw, then as Solaris said, I'd get the battery tested. Even if it tests good, it may be OK to replace; I've had weak batteries test OK.

I had let my 21 sit for about a month in the garage. I was in and out of it but never turned it over. There are functions and things that are running while the truck is off. Radio stuff and what nots. Something is draining it a bit thats for sure. But shouldn't be something you're seeing in such a short time. I'd replace the battery.
When I had taken my truck in to have codes cleared from it draining too far, they just decided to replace the battery rather than troubleshoot it.
When I found the battery dead, there was a bright flash on the dash and lights and then it wouldn't start. Because of the way I put it in my garage when not driving, no jumpers were able to reach, so I had to rig an extension cord from my other TRX to the 21 and about 20 mins of letting it jump, it finally turned over and I put a trickle charger on for the night after I took it for a 20 min drive around the block...didn't want to get too far from home. Good times!
I have a CTEK mounted on my Garage wall in-front of my truck. I have 1/8th inch of clearance when my truck is in and my garage door is closed so it's mounted higher than my hood. I permanently wired in the CTEK extension, with the battery indicator, to my battery and ran the end to the edge of the cowl near the driver's side windshield wiper post. When I haven't been driving much, I just plug it in and it stays "good to go". I also on occasion, check the indicator to see if I need to let it charge.

I have a CTEK mounted on my Garage wall in-front of my truck. I have 1/8th inch of clearance when my truck is in and my garage door is closed so it's mounted higher than my hood. I permanently wired in the CTEK extension, with the battery indicator, to my battery and ran the end to the edge of the cowl near the driver's side windshield wiper post. When I haven't been driving much, I just plug it in and it stays "good to go". I also on occasion, check the indicator to see if I need to let it charge.
That's a great idea. I park that close too, AND I have a CTEK. Do you have a link or picture of the extension piece(s) you are using?

iI used this one and their basic extension. I think I got the 8 ft extension thinking I would run it of to the grill but ended up just going up to the cowl so I didn't end up using the extension. Double check the length to make sure though.

Perfect...thank you. I ordered that and the extension so I can decide where to mount it for me. I can always send the extension back. This will work great...thanks for the suggestion and assistance.

Perfect...thank you. I ordered that and the extension so I can decide where to mount it for me. I can always send the extension back. This will work great...thanks for the suggestion and assistance.
I guess I could have mounted it into the front and plugged it into the laundry since you have to turn sideways to get out of the laundry room door and into the garage because a big truck is almost in the house.

I guess I could have mounted it into the front and plugged it into the laundry since you have to turn sideways to get out of the laundry room door and into the garage because a big truck is almost in the house.
Laundry?!? I had to give up the expense of washing clothes (or even buying clothes) to pay for gas. :cautious:

Laundry?!? I had to give up the expense of washing clothes (or even buying clothes) to pay for gas. :cautious:
My wife calls my gym shorts and my UA workout shirts, my uniform since I just walk into my office and do some work unless something better pops up after I workout in my garage. I used to just laugh but I have noticed there really isn't ever dress clothes or dress socks in the dryer now, only workout clothes. I am not exactly sure when I stopped dressing up and going to see accounts...lol...

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com
Back