BAK Revolver X4 VS Retrax XR

jonny_pockets

TRX Junkie
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 TRX
I'm trying to decide between the Bak Revolver X4 and the Retrax Xr.... I like the XR overall, but I do like that the revolver frees up more bed space..

Any thoughts?

I have the x4s and love it. Rolls up very easily and you don’t lose much bed space

Skiborsy

TRX Fanatic
Reaction score
Current Ride
TRX
I'm trying to decide between the Bak Revolver X4 and the Retrax Xr.... I like the XR overall, but I do like that the revolver frees up more bed space..

Any thoughts?
Do you need/think you might use the rails? Because they're not available on the X4. Also, X4s is the newer, better version of the X4.

I went with the Pace Edwards UltraGroove bc I don't like the idea of having to carry an extra key for my tonneau cover (release is similar to that of the X4s and keyless. That said, if you have a RamBar, probably best to skip the UltraGroove because making it fit involved a band saw, is still not perfect, and the Retrax just fits with minimal modification.

Obviously a pretty big price savings with the X4s and if you use the digital mirror it isn't blocking your view out the back window.

Another canister benefit is you can stop it in many positions; not just open or closed - believe X4s can only be 100% open or closed.

Reactions: mlo

RobR651

TRX Addict
Reaction score
Current Ride
2015 Ram 1500
Do you need/think you might use the rails? Because they're not available on the X4. Also, X4s is the newer, better version of the X4.

I went with the Pace Edwards UltraGroove bc I don't like the idea of having to carry an extra key for my tonneau cover (release is similar to that of the X4s and keyless. That said, if you have a RamBar, probably best to skip the UltraGroove because making it fit involved a band saw, is still not perfect, and the Retrax just fits with minimal modification.

Obviously a pretty big price savings with the X4s and if you use the digital mirror it isn't blocking your view out the back window.

Another canister benefit is you can stop it in many positions; not just open or closed - believe X4s can only be 100% open or closed.
X4S can be opened to the length the securing straps that hold it open permit (which is mostly / fully open).

Zilla76

TRX Member
Reaction score
Name
Zilla
I am debating the same exact thing. I had the Bak Flip MX4 on my Raptor and loved it, but did hear a lot of issues with the Revolver X4. I assume the felt issues have been resolved in the X4s?

No Rambar yet, but I want to install one (truck will be here next week). I am leaner toward the X4s, because I cant imaging a smaller bed, but did like the idea of mounting bike racks on top of the XR (have never needed to do this before as I just put bikes in the bed).

jonny_pockets

TRX Junkie
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 TRX
I am debating the same exact thing. I had the Bak Flip MX4 on my Raptor and loved it, but did hear a lot of issues with the Revolver X4. I assume the felt issues have been resolved in the X4s?

No Rambar yet, but I want to install one (truck will be here next week). I am leaner toward the X4s, because I cant imaging a smaller bed, but did like the idea of mounting bike racks on top of the XR (have never needed to do this before as I just put bikes in the bed).

I had the MX4 on my ram prior to the TRX. It was good and I liked it but I like the x4s much better. And being that the TRX is higher than a regular ram the roll up design is way better and easier

OP
C

cowgomoo

TRX Member
Reaction score
Name
Brad

Thanks for the great outline. The

zela

TRX Noob
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 RAM TRX
I put the X4s on this week and l am loving it. Had a few people compliment me on it already. Very good looks, good seal, rigid, and flush with the bed.

Docg

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
GMC 2500 Denali Duramax
X4S Compatible with ram bar?

JAkers83

TRX Member
Reaction score
Name
Jason M Akers
Current Ride
N/A
Go with the truck gear eclipse from linex it's a rebranded bak x4 and comes with a lifetime warranty and is probably a little cheaper than the x4. Plus x4 only has a 5 year warranty. 👊🏻

Johnny@JustBoltOns

TRX Junkie
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2005 Mustang, 2021 Ram 1500 Rebel Hydro Blue (while I wait on my TRX)

BowesEsq

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 TRX
I just had the Bak F1 installed. Had one on my Raptor, too. Doesn't sound like it's in the running, but the former biggest downside--back window blocking--isn't an issue with the TRX's rear view mirror camera. GL.

OP
C

cowgomoo

TRX Member
Reaction score
Name
Brad
I had an interesting conversation on the bak site CS agent. They recommended the retrax XR over the Bak X4S.

I asked a question about how the X4S holds up ain extreme cold (I live in omaha) And she said pretty well, however water can get into the seal and when it freezes cause something to break. She recommended the XR because the bearings are sealed and will prevent water from getting in and freezing.

thoughts?

RAM TRX Forum Supporting Member Badge

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com