Bad Jump (aka Great Jump...bad landing )

I get it….you only live once. I just can’t understand intentionally destroying something no matter how much money you have. Note the bikes on the tailgate rack when he jumps 🤣

Now hurry up and get some aftermarket bump stops installed and start testing them out for everyone! Nice jump!

It would be fun to watch though! Maybe he would have more confidence to go off that jump even faster! 🤫

Everyone calling him an idiot, big deal, it’s only money. At least he is out using his truck. Half the posts on the forums are about PPF or Ceramic coating. Who is having more fun with their truck If the frame is bent, any frame shop can pull it straight. 5 years from now his truck will be worth 85-100% as much as a babied garage queen.

Campfire stories never start with “ I was waxing my truck in the garage...”

I get it….you only live once. I just can’t understand intentionally destroying something no matter how much money you have. Note the bikes on the tailgate rack when he jumps 🤣
Oh yes---the Raptor Idiots were the same as the ones here....

HAHAHAHAHAHA!! Bump Stops will not help you doing that.
So Hypothetically, if you were to sky your truck (which you won’t but let’s pretend), what precautions would you take?

If the frame is bent, any frame shop can pull it straight. 5 years from now his truck will be worth 85-100% as much as a babied garage queen.
Oh really lol---how many of these events have you personally taken part in? You are blowing smoke up some people's rear here but not mine lol. Been there seen that done.

Got to love the internet forums--this guy does not even have a TRX.

Oh really lol---how many of these events have you personally taken part in? You are blowing smoke up some people's rear here but not mine lol. Been there seen that done.

Meh. His post still stands. Dude jumped his truck. Lol at bikes but maybe those few moments of FLYING IN A 4 TON HELLCAT TRUCK was worth the damage/cost. You push the edge and you are gonna have issues. Hazards of the thug life. If I wreck Or damage something I’ll just fix it

Everyone calling him an idiot, big deal, it’s only money. At least he is out using his truck. Half the posts on the forums are about PPF or Ceramic coating. Who is having more fun with their truck If the frame is bent, any frame shop can pull it straight. 5 years from now his truck will be worth 85-100% as much as a babied garage queen.

Campfire stories never start with “ I was waxing my truck in the garag
He's and idiot and likely can't afford the repairs. I don't baby my truck but I take of my things.

He's and idiot and likely can't afford the repairs. I don't baby my truck but I take of my things.
I don’t think he’s an idiot unless the bike rack thing counts. It would’ve been an amazing addition if he landed perfect and the bikes stayed put. Maybe he owns that bike rack company.

Who cares if he can afford it or not? He’s an adult and can deal with the consequences. He knew what he was risking and did it anyway. We do this everyday, weigh risk vs reward….. it’s basically Darwinism writ small.

True, I am between TRXs. Bought a black lvl1 in April, sold it in June, and waiting on my 22, so yeah, you got me... what events are you referring to? I layed my Rubicon over before the temporary tags expired. The week after that I swamped it in 4’ of water. 6 years later after a detail I traded it in for 5K less than what I paid for it.

So Hypothetically, if you were to sky your truck (which you won’t but let’s pretend), what precautions would you take?
I already did some of these types of mods with my Raptor and never did nor would I knowingly have jumped my Raptor. It included 5 leaf rear springs that were specification driven, shocks and bump stop kit because I did not want to weld up with reinforcement where the crumple zone was placed above the factory bump stop. This was done just for reinforcement and drive improvability.

Now this truck is a different animal completely. If I were going to scrap the truck and make it a jumper because that is the only way to do it for me it would be a lot of work. Having a extensive background in military aircraft landing gear systems for conventional, STOVL and CV the first thing would be to consult with members of my engineering team to see if this kind of thing would be doable (especially on the shock requirements). Not the answer you wanted but knowing what a pounding the truck takes when landing that energy has to go somewhere to be absorbed and dissipated have to look at what systems need to be removed and or modified.

The electronics that this truck contains are not designed to take the shock much less repeated one's of a hard landing from a jump as shown by the idiot in the top of this thread nor are the other parts of the truck as you can see. Sand may seem like the perfect medium to jump your vehicle in but because it is displaced so easily it must be accounted for or the structure of the truck that was never intended to absorb shock will have to.

Could write pages on what I would be doing on the fab and engineering side but it would take some consultations with Jim Yeager (engineering design lead F35) and a few others to determine the scope of what would be required.

I drive this truck with all of the bells and whistles because I spend a lot of time in it much of it in ugly conditions a long way from a Dealer so reliability is paramount. One must remember that all of the electrical components from sensors to fuse boxes are used across the line, so shock and energy absorption must be considered on these components that were never designed to see these forces/shock and vibration. It is all physics the energy has to go somewhere.

I am sure most have experienced a hard landing on a commercial aircraft and how hard that is. That landing is not even on the same planet as a CV aircraft landing with a full fuel and weapons load out. Will just make one point about the specifics of the TRX --ever notice when parking after a fill up the truck has a slight lean to the passenger side because of the full fuel load? Imagine the force that comes down on that spring and shock not to mention the mount and area of the frame it is attached to on the drivers side rear. These types of details are all something that must be considered when planning a mod program for a truck that will see the forces exerted upon it from jumping.

Go ahead and make fun if you like however, just remember when you are on a flatbed being hauled back to the repair facility you might reflect back on this. ;) As they say "bad planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part".

Last edited:
Meh. His post still stands. Dude jumped his truck. Lol at bikes but maybe those few moments of FLYING IN A 4 TON HELLCAT TRUCK was worth the damage/cost. You push the edge and you are gonna have issues. Hazards of the thug life. If I wreck Or damage something I’ll just fix it
Idiots will be idiots.. There are goobers everywhere who do stupid things.

@Bambi, First I'm with you bro, sometimes you got to test the limits even if something breaks. And second cool new avatar.

I already did some of these types of mods with my Raptor and never did nor would I knowingly have jumped my Raptor. It included 5 leaf rear springs that were specification driven, shocks and bump stop kit because I did not want to weld up with reinforcement where the crumple zone was placed above the factory bump stop. This was done just for reinforcement and drive improvability.

Now this truck is a different animal completely. If I were going to scrap the truck and make it a jumper because that is the only way to do it for me it would be a lot of work. Having a extensive background in military aircraft landing gear systems for conventional, STOVL and CV the first thing would be to consult with members of my engineering team to see if this kind of thing would be doable (especially on the shock requirements). Not the answer you wanted but knowing what a pounding the truck takes when landing that energy has to go somewhere to be absorbed and dissipated have to look at what systems need to be removed and or modified.

The electronics that this truck contains are not designed to take the shock much less repeated one's of a hard landing from a jump as shown by the idiot in the top of this thread nor are the other parts of the truck as you can see. Sand may seem like the perfect medium to jump your vehicle in but because it is displaced so easily it must be accounted for or the structure of the truck that was never intended to absorb shock will have to.

Could write pages on what I would be doing on the fab and engineering side but it would take some consultations with Jim Yeager (engineering design lead F35) and a few others to determine the scope of what would be required.

I drive this truck with all of the bells and whistles because I spend a lot of time in it much of it in ugly conditions a long way from a Dealer so reliability is paramount. One must remember that all of the electrical components from sensors to fuse boxes are used across the line, so shock and energy absorption must be considered on these components that were never designed to see these forces/shock and vibration. It is all physics the energy has to go somewhere.

I am sure most have experienced a hard landing on a commercial aircraft and how hard that is. That landing is not even on the same planet as a CV aircraft landing with a full fuel and weapons load out. Will just make one point about the specifics of the TRX --ever notice when parking after a fill up the truck has a slight lean to the passenger side because of the full fuel load? Imagine the force that comes down on that spring and shock not to mention the mount and area of the frame it is attached to on the drivers side rear. These types of details are all something that must be considered when planning a mod program for a truck that will see the forces exerted upon it from jumping.

Go ahead and make fun if you like however, just remember when you are on a flatbed being hauled back to the repair facility you might reflect back on this. ;) As they say "bad planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part".
So, magic. Got it

Reactions: ceb
So, magic. Got it
It this point we are all just blowing smoke. Sure there is a lot of engineering that needs to go into a suspension, but the forces on an airplane are 100 times those of the craziest car jump.
The real question we need to answer is if the truck landed on the wheels and the suspension is not up to the job, or it hit the front skid plate first which transfers the force straight to the frame without any cushioning. The former means the truck just cannot take the jump and the latter means the guy just had bad luck.....

Back